PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 November 2017 at 1:08PM
    Options
    Hello, 1950smum. Nice to meet you. Sorry your hard work and plans did not go the way you'd hoped. I'm fairly new to this thread but it is a good place to drop in for a natter.
    hester, when I am shattered I go to bed for between 20 and 25 mins, no more. It makes a world of difference, and I can tackle the rest of the day with some energy, rather than feeling sick with fatigue. Also, it'll warm you up, one way or another :D
    NM, the thought of the yellow-legged Pudsey kids made me smile.
    Monna, your thought for the day, again, is so true and so important.
    Mardatha, ohh, can you find me a couple of recipes for festive biscuits? I have one for chocolate orange flavoured ones that I'm planning to make but want a couple of others. Am thinking I need something with cinnamon or cherries in... avoiding doing shortbread cos you buy that everywhere atm!

Right, have just put 20 garments in Charity bag because they are now too big. Have celebrated with a nice cup of coffee and am about to start the marmalade commission for a friend. Ooh, i love making things :D

Yes, I am making bickies n marmalade but none shall pass my lips. I had to watch DH chow down on a lovely mince pie yesterday. That was tough, I love mince pies. In fact I only really miss toast and also scones. Am staying strong, have more weight to lose.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 November 2017 at 1:02PM
    Options
    Monna you forgot the big circular skirts with lots of net petticoats dipped in sugar water to make them stiff. my eldest cousin got married when I was about 6 or 7. It was a winter wedding so her maid of honour wore a dark coloured taffeta dress with a big skirt and long too

The bridesmaid gave my mum the dress a few years later. When the circular skirts came in fashion my mum made my other cousin and me one of these skirts each out of the dress. I was splashes of reds, blues and purple. I was 12 and my cousin 14 and we thought we were the bees knees in them with all our stiff net under them.

Welcome 1950smum. Sorry things did not work out. Your very welcome to join this mad crowd.

The house was perfect if a little small upstairs but DS can get his desk in the little bedroom.

We have said we will have it, now we have forms to fill in and references to get. It is still occupied so we will not be moving until January "if" we get it. I can't remember the agents we had for the last house and neither can DS we will have to rack our brains over the weekend because DS was a tenant then.

MMF007 I saw all the yellow legs and thought what a colour for primary school they will be filthy before the end of the day. They were in jump suits with hoods.

I did get my three individual Christmas puddings. on the way back. They had nearly sold out. DS does not like dried fruit so it is not worth getting a bigger one.

I had a piece of stollen at the cake shop I had the cake yesterday.
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fantastic nursemaggie, I really hope you get the house. Fingers crossed!

Your buyers aren't hanging about are they monna?

Feel better soon mar.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NM, would your son have bank statements showing who the rent was paid to (assuming it was paid via the agent)? My fingers are still crossed and will remain so until you move in!!

Now can people please stop mentioning cake?!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    edited 17 November 2017 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Ooh, I do hope it all goes smoothly for you nursemaggie :j

Hester On your recommendation I bought the kindle edition of Why Mummy Drinks. I bet the author has been surprised by a sudden spike in sales a few days ago :rotfl:

I bought a couple of other "light reading" ones too, I've had quite enough of gloom and doom!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 17 November 2017 at 8:46PM
    Options
    NM great news the house suited...fingers crossed all goes well and you can move to your new home sooner rather than later :)

I bit my tongue yesterday and drew blood, today I managed to bite the inside of my cheek and again drew blood and I'm now sporting a thick lip and half a swollen face.

..I'm a liability to myself :eek:
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,374 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    nursemaggie fab news, hope you will soon have room to open all the doors at the same time AND move around too!!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    MMF007 We don't keep bank statements that long. We both have online accounts now. I paid the full rent and DS gave me his share when he got his housing benefit. They stopped and started it every few weeks for nearly two years but the agents have it down as us both being joint tenants. He has never paid any bills like rent, electric, gas, etc so he has no credit rating.
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1950sMUM wrote: »
    Hi all iv been away along time .
    We sold our house and moved to a caravan on a farm where I worked but after working 70 hours a week it's taken its toll and iv separated from my husband and come back to Wakefield with my kids to rent :(

Hugs hun - welcome back to the fence
    Must use my stash up!
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    You need 2 hot water bottles and a big warm blanket Hester! and lots of hot tea and toast xx

Or CHS of course!!!!
    Must use my stash up!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family