PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    Options
    NM If any of my recent posts have come across as critical or upsetting I am sorry . I assure you I did not mean any to give that impression . Flippin' internet isn't the same as talking face to face at times . The reason I mentioned thinking of trying non agency lets is because of the ridiculous fees via a lot of agencies as mentioned by Fuddle . A lot of the time it will be someone from the agency handling viewings with their time scale whereas a private landlord will generally be the person doing the viewings and usually more flexible re times .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    The fees are still exorbitant with a LL who manages it themselves. It is blatant robbery you are paying their expenses, The checks are on you for their protection not yours. Landlords who manage themselves tend to enter your property when you are out, turn up when they want to. Don't tell you who they are and just barge in. I have experienced it all. I have rented quite a lot of property.

I have to admit signing up with my housing association has been my worst experience. They did not even tell us we had got the flat until the day we had to start paying rent. They send notices they are coming that arrive a week after the date. They don't keep appointments. The list is endless.

If the law says the tenant has to be present and they work different hours to DS I am going to end up doing it all myself. They are not going to believe DS exists. 90% of people who meet us together call me grandma. DS was very indignant about that when he was a child. He gave them what for from about age two.

Now it depends who they are if he says anything.

I am not upset or think you are critical. I have just had a go as DS because he is not helping. He will not agree what to visit. He is going to be paying more than half the rent. We are moving mainly for him so he need a say. I can't just say this is where we are moving to.

I'm sorry.I hope no one else is upset by me. I just wanted to give others the pleasure of seeing that house as they are so rare still having their original fittings.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    You haven't upset me NM . You have a lot on your plate and all the health things on top of trying to sort somewhere else to live .
    If you can try and get a bit of headspace for a day or two . If the neighbours are playing up and your son has headphones ask to borrow them for an hour or so and try to read , knit ( if you're able too at the moment ) or simply doze .
    I was more concerned I upset you !!! I like to think we're all friends here so take care my friend .
    pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Landlords charging for their expenses, what a cheek. I didn't charge my tenant anything apart from the deposit and even that came as a shock to her.

I'm having my property inspected every quarter but I'm not charging for that either.

I had a bad night last night, I mislaid one is Ds's cats, the new one. I had to leave the window open overnight, so I was worried in case she didn't return and worried in case ds got burgled.

We got home from work and I sat in the chair for a snooze, CHS suddenly found eleventy billion jobs that had to be done instantly. These included riddling the stove beside my chair, chopping up logs, beside my chair amongst other things. I don't think I'll bother having a nap!
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Landlords charging for their expenses, what a cheek. I didn't charge my tenant anything apart from the deposit and even that came as a shock to her.

I'm having my property inspected every quarter but I'm not charging for that either.

I had a bad night last night, I mislaid one is Ds's cats, the new one. I had to leave the window open overnight, so I was worried in case she didn't return and worried in case ds got burgled.

We got home from work and I sat in the chair for a snooze, CHS suddenly found eleventy billion jobs that had to be done instantly. These included riddling the stove beside my chair, chopping up logs, beside my chair amongst other things. I don't think I'll bother having a nap!

Ha, ha! I awarded myself a 20 min nap yester so that I could be on top form on my evening out and the following happened within the allocated time -
    my mum rang
    a parcel* delivery lady knocked
    my auntie rang
    I remembered something important that needed doing so got up to write a reminder
    My DH rang to ask if his parcel* had been delivered!
    I got up for the 6th time and managed without the nap :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Sod's law MMF007 Hester just had a different sod's law.

Hester you must be the only land lord in the country that does not charge all your expenses to the tenant. Why do you think the Labour party want to make it illegal?
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sod's law MMF007 Hester just had a different sod's law.

Hester you must be the only land lord in the country that does not charge all your expenses to the tenant. Why do you think the Labour party want to make it illegal?

Sorry nm but for every good tenant/LL there is a bad one.

They shouldn't all be tarred with the same brush imho.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    LL's are charged by the letting agents too. Tenants are being charged for checks and paperwork fees but imagine being charged hundreds for a 'tenant finders fee'. Ouch!
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 9:12PM
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    LL's are charged by the letting agents too. Tenants are being charged for checks and paperwork fees but imagine being charged hundreds for a 'tenant finders fee'. Ouch!

And to add to that, not all LL's are are uncaring, money grabbing, selfish, property rich multi millionaires.

Many just want a tenant who pays their rent and feels at home.

The LL deals with any problems asap and trust the tenant will respond in kind by not causing £1000's of damage before they leave!

I've already got me coat!
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 9:47PM
    Options
    I have paid fees to find a tent and £1500 in fees for signing them up. I did not realise that agents charge two parties for the same work which I have found out takes a few minutes on a computer for most and a couple of phone calls.

I am well aware of bad tenants as we lost everything on my ex's property as I had to live in with my job. We were hundreds of miles away from the property. The worst thing you can do to a property is leave it empty for years so we let it. We actually lost over £30,000 on it.

I have only had experience of bad on both sides. I hope I have been a model tenant, I have been told I was and begged not to leave, but I had to cut our expenses somehow once I got the cancer and could no longer work.

Letting agents charge for managing a property that is not the responsibility of the tenant. Not all letting agencies actually carry out the work they are paid for.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 4 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure