PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Butter is 5.99 Canadian dollars a 500 gram brick. It was a
    special offer this weekend at 2.99 at Walmart. Shelves cleared in minutes.

Milk is 4,72 for a 4 litre jug. 2 litres is 3.65.

Dairy is not onexpensive. If you live close to the US border, its cheaper down there even with the exchange rate.

Food is not cheap here. And prices rise constantly as do taxes,

I loathe the phrase. "Fixed income". Everyone s on a fixed gift ncome not just pensioners, there is no overtime or extra hours available at work, so my income is pretty much fixed as well
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,927 Forumite
    Options
    Until last Thursday we had milk delivered in bottles too but our milk man has now gone out of business.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The milkman round here went out of business about 3 years ago. I had not had the opportunity to have one when we lived in Bognor. I have not had a milk delivery for over 25 years.

The last milkman I had was so dopy, you give him it in writing that you are going on holiday and tell him the day before. Then I was living alone so he delivered 5 a week. He only came three days. I got fed up of coming home from 2 weeks holiday to find 10 bottles of sour milk on the door step.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good to see you again Wondercollie . It's interesting to read the Canadian situation on prices and employment . As I mentioned a week or so back DD2 will be flying to Canada in the a couple of weeks . The tea towels will be safe as she can't even remember where she's going . Clue it has a big lake :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I think we've now established Ontario but that could still change !

Jazee I'm sorry you've lost your milkman . So many dairy farmers are being forced to give up now . I hope our local farm and all it employs can hang on but the writing seems to be on the wall .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    I had milk delivered until I moved on to my boat, I also had eggs and veg delivered as a way of supporting local businesses.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,269 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Way back in 1981 at 6th form i worked every Thurs & Fri evening from 5pm until 9pm collecting money for our local dairy on our round, in all weathers. By the time me & my kids lived with my mum in late 1999 the dairyman had retired, the site was sold and executive houses built.

We have a milkman here but live on a main road and can't guarantee the milk will be still on the step when we go for it :(
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • wondercollie
    Options
    Good to see you again Wondercollie . It's interesting to read the Canadian situation on prices and employment . As I mentioned a week or so back DD2 will be flying to Canada in the a couple of weeks . The tea towels will be safe as she can't even remember where she's going . Clue it has a big lake :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I think we've now established Ontario but that could still change !

Jazee I'm sorry you've lost your milkman . So many dairy farmers are being forced to give up now . I hope our local farm and all it employs can hang on but the writing seems to be on the wall .
    polly

We have Lake Louise! I thought the teatowels were safe until my oldest son moved out. He came home and helped himself to several that had recipes on them! He said he needed them for help for his partner to feed him. So I guess they are living on soda bread, !!!! o'leekie soup, etc, lol.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    I feel I may have cursed your beloved stash of tea towels . A novel way to learn cooking , that never came to mind thankfully with any of mine . You'll have to write all the recipes down and present them with a homemade cook book and get a padlock on the cupboard before the shelves are bare .
    DD2 is well educated and highly professional in her career . However she is very vague on details at times . I was calling up my geography lessons from a long time ago , eventually she said it's got a big lake . There's really no answer to that !!! I've advised her to try and bag a Mountie and give me some respite :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Take care
    polly

• wondercollie
    Options
    Nah, Mounties can be pretty full of themselves. Pay cheque isn't bad though depending on where they work.

Hate to tell you they only wear the red serge on ceremonial duties, the rest of the time they just look like policemen with yellow stripes on their trouser legs. If you see one with his Stetson hat in his squad car, they are usually the meanest ones.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Nah, Mounties can be pretty full of themselves. Pay cheque isn't bad though depending on where they work.

Hate to tell you they only wear the red serge on ceremonial duties, the rest of the time they just look like policemen with yellow stripes on their trouser legs. If you see one with his Stetson hat in his squad car, they are usually the meanest ones.
    But we don't have to tell here that do we? It's rather like policemen in the 60s . I had my eye on a number of them but it was usually a big letdown when they took the helmet off :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    polly

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure