PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    polly if you had not said you were going to double your milkman's Christmas box I would have suggested you did. I think is the only type of milkman that exists any more.

Our corner shop gets his from Jacksons Dairy, I can't remember if it was us, or one of my aunts, when I was a child I do remember bring milk in regularly when I was quite young. I know my mum would never have the Co-op because she said they watered it down. Milk and bread was all she did not buy from the co-op.

I wonder if they still deliver milk to houses. If we end up in one of the areas we are looking at I will have to go on the bus to get to a shop. I don't mind that but I am blowed if I will do it for a bottle of milk. I would rather have it delivered.
  • nursemaggie
    edited 2 October 2017 at 10:35PM
    Options
    I forgot! Brilliant that your tooth counted in the same price as your recent treatment ivyleaf

Milk delivered at 1 am would be fine for us as DS could bring it in at 2.30 am when he gets up. It used to be that only milkmen and bakers got up at that time.
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    polly if you had not said you were going to double your milkman's Christmas box I would have suggested you did. I think is the only type of milkman that exists any more.

Our corner shop gets his from Jacksons Dairy, I can't remember if it was us, or one of my aunts, when I was a child I do remember bring milk in regularly when I was quite young. I know my mum would never have the Co-op because she said they watered it down. Milk and bread was all she did not buy from the co-op.

I wonder if they still deliver milk to houses. If we end up in one of the areas we are looking at I will have to go on the bus to get to a shop. I don't mind that but I am blowed if I will do it for a bottle of milk. I would rather have it delivered.
    You've no idea how often I've blessed that delivery . We have a little coop but it's quite a walk in bad weather or if I'm not feeling too good .
    Jackson's dairy rings a bell with me . Sometimes a bottle will have a different name on the bottle to our dairy . I finally asked our man as I wondered if they weren't replacing breakages following the recent letter and running things down . It turned out when there is a problem with the bottling machinery dairies help each other out by loaning bottles .
    When you move it would be good if you could have a decent delivery .I imagine there are many times you struggle to get out between all the appointments . If I drag myself to the coop i always end up picking up other stuff to make the trip worthwhile and end up with a heavy bag to carry home .
    Hope you're ok . It's really cold here tonight . I think I'll be taking a hot water bottle to bed tonight . Shame we aren't heading for Spring .
    Take care
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Was really windy yes - but the wind hit us end-on from the top of the street. I'm in the middle of a terrace of 4, so we heard it more than felt it. If that makes sense :)
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    Yes I think they were all over the north. Northern Dairies was the other one I definitely had them before we moved from York, mum probably did too.

I don't have any problem at the moment with the corner shop just across the road but when we move into the suburbs proper we will not have them. I'ts rather like Coronation street round here a shop on nearly every corner. I used to keep a couple of cartons of UHT milk in but now it is dearer than fresh.

Yes it is cold I switched on the living room heater tonight so we will have a bit of heat in a couple of days. I wish we were heading for spring too.

good night.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I'm after a preserving tip if I may?

I have £2.70odd worth of ginger root in the fridge which is a lot of ginger root. I made an error in my grocery order at the weekend... doofus!

Although I'm using it with the elderberry syrup I would like to try to preserve it in some way. Any ideas?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Stick it in the freezer fuddle. You can take chunks off it as you need it.
  • fuddle
    Options
    Ah fantastic! Much appreciated :)
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love the sound of the elderberry syrup but have lost my source of elderberries once I had stopped living next to churchyard. Is there a source of dried elderberries anywhere? I just wonder if health food shops stock them.
    I don't suffer from coughs and colds but should one sneak up on me I would like to be prepared.

It's awful isn't it, when you can either have a pleasant place to live OR access to a shop but not both. I feel for you nm. I don't know where I would be without my in-your-face jazzy shopping trolley. I don't mind the walking to the shop, but carrying heavy loads back is no fun at all.
    My new neighbours have moved in next door. Met Mr New Neighbour today and we had a right giggle. Shame that eventually I will sell my house, (pleeese!) because I think we would get on well.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    Options
    I'm going with these online monna http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Dried_Elderberries_500g.html 500g for that price is ok I think because I've seen 125g at just a pound less on health food websites. I still have some sources around me but I doubt I'll be out walking for a while now.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback