PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carrots. Maybe wouldn't suit everyone, but I do Shepherd Spy with soya mince only, (cos I'm vegetarian, see) and very heavy on carrots in with it.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • juliettet
    Options
    Have you got the recipe please? it sounds fab :

A bit of a copy from Delia really :D.

Roasted veg covered with mash and chopped leeks cooked in butter and sprinkled with cheese. Also I have done with soya, quorn and lentils.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your Shepherd's spy advice. A lot of ideas to work through but definitely will go the lentil route first as I'd like to become more reliant on those useful little pulses of protein again. :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    The thought of beans or tomatoes in shepherds pie makes me cringe!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought Liberty bodices were actually considered more free than corsets hence the name. Girls only started wearing things to shape their figures later on in their teens.

I sometimes read sewing blogs about vintage styles such as Gertie's Blog for better sewing. She went the whole hog and started wearing actual girdles:eek::eek: and bras that went down to her waist:eek: Why? Just...why?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • fuddle
    Options
    When I was caring I used to help a lady into a tight, boned number every day. There was one day I went in and she really wasn't very well. I tried my best to get her to just leave it off for the day. She wasn't happy. Then it became clear to me that she was likely having a TIA as her mouth began to droop and I couldn't understand her words. I explained that I was calling an ambulance and why. She became really animated. Worried she would make her condition worse I helped her to her chair. I couldn't understand what she was upset about. Social Services took over her care as she rehabilitated when released from hospital but a couple of months late I was able to help her again. That first day back she rollicked me wafting her newspaper about my head laughing. She was animated because she wanted her tight girlde on ready for the ambulance lads and mortified she couldn't make me understand and they had to see her without. Priorities eh? :D she was a hoot at 92 alright.
  • fuddle
    Options
    Another cooking Q for meat eaters if I may?

We're pulling back the amount of meat we eat. That's enabling us to buy organic for the the meat we do eat in the week. That said I still would still like to keep a hold on my grocery budget.

Liver? What liver makes the most delicious liver and onions. I'm dubious as the only experience I have with liver is making my dog his meals of offal, rice and veg.

I know I ate it at my Grandma's house years ago but I was too small to learn anything about it. Any help would be great. :)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    juliettet wrote: »
    Have you got the recipe please? it sounds fab :

A bit of a copy from Delia really :D.

Roasted veg covered with mash and chopped leeks cooked in butter and sprinkled with cheese. Also I have done with soya, quorn and lentils.

Will be trying this thanks x:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,919 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fuddle wrote: »
    Another cooking Q for meat eaters if I may?

We're pulling back the amount of meat we eat. That's enabling us to buy organic for the the meat we do eat in the week. That said I still would still like to keep a hold on my grocery budget.

Liver? What liver makes the most delicious liver and onions. I'm dubious as the only experience I have with liver is making my dog his meals of offal, rice and veg.

I know I ate it at my Grandma's house years ago but I was too small to learn anything about it. Any help would be great. :)

Fuddle, we like lambs liver here, plenty of recipes online.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Lambs liver is much nicer than pigs liver chicken livers are absolutely delicious but very soft textured so wouldn't stand up to the type of cooking to make liver and bacon BUT if you can ever find it at an affordable price calves liver is the absolute tops for flavour and texture and my favourite of all of them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback