PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to say burtha, that it never rains but it pours but in view of the water you have had to mop up that may be a tad inappropriate. You must have lots of friends around, please, please, please don't be too proud to ask for help. We would all be weighing in if we could so I don't suppose your friends in RL are any different.

Hester, I also hate the glitz and false jollity at Christmas, but I do love the feeling that it is a warm, cosy, special time of the year when we remember old friends and spend time with our families.
    Hope your tum feels better soon.

They say that it is going to be mighty cold next week. Deep joy! My hot water bottle sprung a leak last night. Thank goodness for Amazon.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh poor burtha, I'm so sorry about the burst pipe :( I hope you managed to get some sleep.

Hester I've just got that book on my Kindle too, I'd like to spend the day reading it but that ain't gonna happen :D

We have a very small Christmas tree these days which stands on the coffee table. I made OH buy it the year i realised I was absolutely dreading putting the tree up and decorating it as it left me exhausted.
    I remember one year I asked eldest grandchild to do it. i think he was about twelve at the time. Bless him, it looked lovely, as long as you looked at it from the right direction. He'd hung all the baubles on one side of the tree and the rest of it was bare :D
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Well I'm way behind as usual . We haven't been well since late September and among the viruses flu arrived . We've always been lucky and somehow avoided it but not this time . I've never felt so wiped out for years . I've lost too much weight for a slim person so everything is too big and I'm under orders to get the calories in . I'm still trying to get past soup and porridge but I'll get there .

burtha Forget smile and wave get that solicitor working or get another one . No matter how 3mw has put obstructions in your way this has gone on too long without some proper legal intervention .
    Another winter in a cold house is unacceptable . Unless the new partner susses him out he'll be under a nice roof this winter .
    I can't remember when the mortgage co were due to start repossession but if he's still not paying towards the bills let alone at least properly contributing to the children's upkeep I would be talking to the bank or building society if they aren't aware of the facts .

You'll be aware you can't just move , you need to be ordered to leave to qualify for housing . Not an ideal situation but that house and his selfish attitude is not good for you or the 2 youngest . I've said it before , I know you get headaches but you don't need this stress further impacting on a serious health condition .

I'm pleased youngest dd is managing a bit better now.

polly xxx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Burtha sending you some Wolfy strength to help you through. x
    monnagran wrote: »
    I certainly won't have anything to sit on for a bit.
    *Confuzzled* Isn't that what your bum is for? :D
    I'll get me coat.....
    I happily donate any polos that come into my possession to you Wolfie, I can't abide them! Isn't it strange what we all like and dislike?
    I'll be more than happy to take them off your hands; they're great, they have a non-fattening centre. :rotfl:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Living_proof
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »
    LW, when I was teaching I always had a good stack of Polos in my desk drawer. My classes and I had a saying that everything could be made better by a hug and a Polo. It worked too. On one occasion when a child had been very upset by a visiting ballet teacher, (the child was dyspraxic), the whole class was very distressed so we had a group hug, a mass dispensing of Polos and because they were still upset we all had another Polo. I'd probably be in prison if I was teaching now. But it worked.

At the grammar school I attended some half a century ago, for some unfathomable reason we were always short of maths and Latin teachers. We had some very elderly relics brought in, and both had very red faces and sucked polos. One a man who was probably around 60 and the other a lady d'un grande age. She wore cardigans inside out and once arrived in class with one seamed and one unseamed stocking. I have always thought of Polos in that sense ever since although I have ceased making judgements of people who enjoy them - they can't all be teachers!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Living proof, I don't think any profession has had so many oddball characters as teaching in days gone by.

I had a friend who was very attractive but entirely unfocused. We used to check her before she went into her classroom.
    Jumper right side out and not back to front.
    Skirt with zip at side not in front.
    Both eyes made up.
    On one occasion I followed her down the corridor and wondered why she walking in a sort of 'dot and carry one' manner. She was wearing one flat brown shoe and one heeled navy shoe.

Another friend's husband was a chemistry teacher. His lessons were very popular as according to my son you never knew what would happen. Indeed, on one occasion I was waiting in the car park to collect my son when a window was flung open and something was hurled out on to the field where it exploded dramatically.

Risk assessments have made life a lot more boring. Safer, but definitely boring.

Where are those characters today?
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Living_proof
    Options
    Oh Monna, absolutely! There was no political correctness back in the day and it seemed quite normal that the PE teachers watched for fleas in the showers. You can never be too careful.

I think my children at an independent school experienced even more bizarre behaviour and the worst from the person in head of child protection, and her partner. Schools are a microcosm of society and boarding schools even more so. On the whole I remember them as very caring people with the children's best interest at heart, but with very bizarre hobbies and interests!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Re teachers, I was trained by a really eccentric old bloke.My first lesson ever, he didn't turn up until half way through, because he'd been to Booths for Xmas bargains. He was the inspiration for Wallace from Wallace and Gromit, as he taught Nick Parke years before :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 November 2018 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Oh polly, sorry you and DD are still so unwell!

burtha, pollyanna is right, your solicitor doesn't seem to be being very helpful! Maybe time to find a new one!

monnagran Nothing to sit on? Aren't you taking any chairs with you?
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    We're over the worst now ivyleaf just a bit drained and trying to get back to what passes as normal .

I love a stroll down memory lane monna . As I've mentioned before I was convent educated and had just a few lay teachers . The ones that stay in my mind are the only male teacher who dedicated a lot of time showing this left hander how to use the old school pens and ink wells without smearing my work and being rapped on the knuckles for using the "wrong hand " That was in the 50s when it was very much frowned upon . I've never forgotten him . I think although he was fairly young he may have been among the post war intake of men retrained as teachers .

At senior level there were two female teachers I remember for different reasons a wonderful english teacher who strengthened my love of literature and got me semi interested in geography .
    The other was the art mistress who visited Italy each year and had an obsessive devotion to Giotto di Bondone . I've no idea how she got away with it but from the age of 11 until sixth form we heard only abut Giotto . Needless to say I didn't opt for art but focused on English when it came to exams and the future . I have wondered if anyone actually managed to achieve their art results under her watch .
    She also took chemistry and physics and I opted out of those choices although there was feedback from other pupils of either hilarious or terrifying happenings in the labs .

When I took up my second career I had a few inside out cardie incidents usually caused by trying to get the two older offspring out of the door so we could get to school . They did check me out in the staffroom thankfully including " What a good idea pinning up your hair with a crochet hook " Erm it was meant to be something else !

Mind you as the parent of the girl with the previously mentioned invisible horse I needed to tether each morning I think the parents were more concerned than the staff.

Happy days . A 50s education set many of us up for lifes slings and arrows . My headmistress and a couple of of other nuns had a deadly aim with a board duster and I learnt to duck quickly . I reckon resilience was what many of us came away with and that's a valuable tool for life .

I'm sending all the positive vibes you'll soon be getting reunited with your treasures Monna .

I remember Nick Parke talking about his teacher candy . Fancy being taught by him .

Anyway I have a date with my doctor . There's been a dearth of viewing lately but last Saturday I discovered the Drama channel were showing the Doctor and Rose series . So 7pm and 8pm tonight episode 3 & 4 with David Tennant and Billy Piper . I'll then turn over to watch Casualty as I can't miss Dylan .

Enjoy your evening everyone .

polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure