PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello all, first time poster here, hope am doing it right!
    Am a bit late to the challenge but OH gets paid 15th of the month so we budget from 15th-15th each month.
    Two adults, two kids and pregnant, last months spend came in at about 250. Know we could cut this down so aiming for 220 this month as a reasonable first goal see how that goes!
    Lauren x[/QUOTE

Welcome LOLLYPOP, lots of peoples months run from different dates, you appear to have made a start, good luck
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This months total spends is spiralling out of control, took a friend to get a jumper for her sons b,day, popped into land of leather, beautiful winter coat £32.99 from £110, lovely blue top reduced to £11-99, dog at vets for boosters and worm tablets, £65.04, have some stock to last hopefully toward end of month, but I must get tonic water before the weekend,
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    £11.63
    - microwave and washing machine cleaner
    - biscuits (for office)
    - pasta sauces
    - vegan salad cream
    - sweets (for office)
    - YS avocados, rolls and buns
    - a really nice salad (yum!)

shouldn't need to spend any more over the weekend, unless I run out of fruit.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • butterfly2507
    Options
    My Dad will have a knee surgery on Monday so I'll spend most of the days and evenings at my parents house which means I only need to shop for 3 days. We can definitely stay under 50 € this time! Just a bit of fruit & veggies and that might be it :T
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I'm at $604/$950, with two of my four shopping weekends to go and no bulk stores and somehow still convinced that I'll come in fine! I feel like I've made so many cuts - baking bread and snacks, no longer buying squash or soft drink except as an occasional treat, meatless meals at least twice a week and cheap cuts the rest of the time - that it's difficult to see why I still keep overspending so much, but there we are. I might start keeping a detailed breakdown and seeing where the spillage is.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Spendy week.

New Total £214.37/£350
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    A spending diary can definitely help armchairexpert. Even just typing out here all the little things I'm buying day to day here has highlighted where my money is going!!!

I seem to have an awful lot of meat etc in the freezer, and stocks of most things, that will last well past the end of the pay month, but as a result, didn't leave us enough money for the top ups of essentials - bread, milk etc.

Oh well, lesson learned for next month.

I have spends to add, but will do them later. Struggling today. So tired and have a cracking headache! I have an exam next Friday, and I hadn't studied enough (I still haven't), and am keen to give it my best shot regardless, so have been getting up at 5am to put in an hours study before work, then 1/2 hour at lunch and another 1.5-2 hours in the evening. I'm gaining ground with that tactic, but also very tired now!

What will be, will be!
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the weekly shop today, (only really fruit and veg) still need cereals.
    I got kitten food and 11 pouches of reduced fancy baby food last night all for £3.99.
    Boots for (reduced) batteries for the kitchen scales, toothpaste and deodorant for DH. Used £3.50 of boots points so £7.50 cash spent there.
    Fruit shop spends of £17.40 - including some fruit for jam making.
    A mystery £2.52 somewhere along the line. I was doing so well too...:( :o
    Ah well. Will update Sig in a bit.
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • catralense
    catralense Posts: 89 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2017 at 10:34PM
    Options
    I know I'm late to the party (story of my life!) but can I tag on the end here? We've got £100 to spend on food for the last week of August, as we're away on holiday until the 24th.

I haven't properly meal planned and shopped accordingly for so long and I'm not feeling very inspired to be honest. But needs must and all of that, so I'm going to have a look through some of the recipes and meal plans on the forum and get cracking.
    August Grocery Challenge £98.02/£100
    September Grocery Challenge £103.98/£500

Emergency Fund £81.59/£1000
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    59p spent today on a loaf of bread. Was very restrained as was having a mooch, then realised I didn't need anything, so grabbed and went.

Still haven't sorted the spends from before, but not more than a fiver, so I have a fairly healthy amount left for the month. I'm still eating from stores, but will buy a few £s worth of fruit in aldi on tues/weds, ready for the children's return.

Have one of dd's friends over tom for dinner, sleepover and breakfast. Will be spends for chicken nuggets and sausages rolls (they want a picky tea), but I'll be able to make everything else.

I'll be having sausages and new potatoes with some form of veg tom when they have their picky tea, as if already got the sausages out of the freezer... May have to feed oh too, as he'll be working in my garden all day for me.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport