IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Nurses in Cardiff NHS face huge bills

Options

Comments

• Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In response to this case and some of the reporting of it, a spokeswoman from Indigo has said: “In April last year, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and Indigo agreed a new set of measures to improve car parking on the University Hospital of Wales (UHW) site.

“As a gesture of goodwill towards car park users, parking charge notices (PCN) issued up to the end of March 2016 were cancelled. In addition, the cost of a PCN was reduced to £10, if paid within 14 days.

“Despite this, a number of people refused to pay for parking at the site. They also ignored the resulting PCNs and declined to use the formal appeals process.

“The recent court hearing related to three persistent offenders who have accumulated in excess of 100 PCNs between them since April 2016.

“As the company responsible for managing parking and ensuring the free flow of traffic at Cardiff UHW, we have an obligation to ensure enforcement of parking restrictions.

“For this reason, and with the full support of the health board, we took action against this small group of persistent offenders. The court’s ruling has justified our decision to take this action.”

To be honest I am unsure why some of these individuals (and they are not all nurses or doctors, but admin and housekeeping staff too) feel so badly treated. I and many of my friends work in Cardiff and know all too well the challenges of parking/finding parking and paying for it. At least parking at the hospital site is subsidised for staff, which it isn't for visitors.

It's also the case that a Park and Ride facility for staff and visitors to the UHW site has recently been relaunched. The site is an easy 10 minute ride from the hospital and the service is subsidised for staff, who pay £1 to park securely and travel by bus (service runs every 20 minutes) to and from the hospital. I have used the service several times (I'm not staff), and have been disappointed to see so few staff and others using it. I hopes usage increases after this case and the publicity it's generated as this really is a case of "use it or lose it" as happened in the past.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 19 July 2017 at 3:37PM
    Options
    It's also the case that a Park and Ride facility for staff and visitors to the UHW site has recently been relaunched.

We know - in May I believe - that doesn't help the people unfairly ticketed in 2016/2017 and pursued like criminals.

You've quoted the NHS Trust as if their version is the correct one. Don't believe the spiel.

For example, it is not about refusing to pay for parking, as they would have people believe:
    Despite this, a number of people refused to pay for parking at the site.

Really? But it's not about that. I understand - on good authority, by people who are not given to lying - that the truth is this:
    Originally Posted by bargepole
    The staff are not charged for the permits. They have to pay £1.05 a day to park in a designated car park, for which there are about five times as many permits issued as there are spaces.

There was also an issue over the time taken between applying for a permit and receiving one, in some cases as long as four months.

Most of the PCNs in question in this case, were issued because staff parked in a different car park, or hadn't yet received their permit. There were also some instances of pay machines not working.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I "don't believe the spiel", but am just trying to balance the argument by sharing Indigo's statement. The group lobbying for those taken to court are claiming one nurse owes "£150,000" in fines and filling the media here with claims that people will have to sell their homes because of the fines they received. It's my understanding, also from people who are not given to lying that this simply isn't true, they are facing these costs because they chose to launch a legal action to fight the fines.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I won't be commenting on why costs are a feature.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In response to this case and some of the reporting of it, a spokeswoman from Indigo has said: “In April last year, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and Indigo agreed a new set of measures to improve car parking on the University Hospital of Wales (UHW) site.

“As a gesture of goodwill towards car park users, parking charge notices (PCN) issued up to the end of March 2016 were cancelled. In addition, the cost of a PCN was reduced to £10, if paid within 14 days.

“Despite this, a number of people refused to pay for parking at the site. They also ignored the resulting PCNs and declined to use the formal appeals process.

“The recent court hearing related to three persistent offenders who have accumulated in excess of 100 PCNs between them since April 2016.

“As the company responsible for managing parking and ensuring the free flow of traffic at Cardiff UHW, we have an obligation to ensure enforcement of parking restrictions.

“For this reason, and with the full support of the health board, we took action against this small group of persistent offenders. The court’s ruling has justified our decision to take this action.”

To be honest I am unsure why some of these individuals (and they are not all nurses or doctors, but admin and housekeeping staff too) feel so badly treated. I and many of my friends work in Cardiff and know all too well the challenges of parking/finding parking and paying for it. At least parking at the hospital site is subsidised for staff, which it isn't for visitors.

It's also the case that a Park and Ride facility for staff and visitors to the UHW site has recently been relaunched. The site is an easy 10 minute ride from the hospital and the service is subsidised for staff, who pay £1 to park securely and travel by bus (service runs every 20 minutes) to and from the hospital. I have used the service several times (I'm not staff), and have been disappointed to see so few staff and others using it. I hopes usage increases after this case and the publicity it's generated as this really is a case of "use it or lose it" as happened in the past.

I believe the last bus is at (i think) 17.15 and shift change (clocking off) is at 17.30 , , (or that might be 19.15 - 19.30 ) there is NO bus service for staff fefinishing shift , hence no one arriving on the bus
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ..., they are facing these costs because they chose to launch a legal action to fight the fines.

More misinformation. The defendants didn't "launch a legal action", it was the claimants, Indigo, who initiated the proceedings.

But not before the £20 parking charges had been inflated to £128 each with the addition of spurious 'fees' from a firm of dubious and unlicensed debt collectors, and the involvement of a firm of solicitors who appear happy to see their previous good reputation dragged into the gutter.

Then there is the management of the Trust, sending a senior manager to the court hearing to give evidence for the parking company that they signed up on a long contract.

Too many snouts in the trough, all trying to fleece people who work hard in public service. Absolutely disgraceful, the bosses of the Trust and Indigo should crawl back under the stone from which they emerged.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I "don't believe the spiel", but am just trying to balance the argument by sharing Indigo's statement. The group lobbying for those taken to court are claiming one nurse owes "£150,000" in fines and filling the media here with claims that people will have to sell their homes because of the fines they received. It's my understanding, also from people who are not given to lying that this simply isn't true, they are facing these costs because they chose to launch a legal action to fight the fines.

Why do insist in calling them "fines" when they are not?
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »

coz the "man in the street" understands "fines"
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • Ryandavis1959
    Options
    trisontana wrote: »
    Who knows the difference between a fine and a charge? To the common person they are one and the same, as is the decision on whether to pay them or not.

In Scotland we call them !!!! tickets. :beer:
    If you were not the driver write to the parking firm and tell them who was so they CANNOT hold you liable. The person who was driving the car is responsible so let them deal with it. Not you! Don’t let people with an agenda tell you otherwise.
  • Ryandavis1959
    Options
    If the information on Parkind Prankster about a coordinated smear campaign against the nurses' Lay Rep is correct, it is only a matter of time before the media pick up on it as well as the Judge involved. I can see this ended up very badly for the parking firm and their chums. Don't forget your toothbrush eh?

Never mind the data protection claim that the nurses may be able to claim once they win their appeal.

Victory from the jaws of defeat is on the cards and an end to all hospital parking charges for nurses.
    If you were not the driver write to the parking firm and tell them who was so they CANNOT hold you liable. The person who was driving the car is responsible so let them deal with it. Not you! Don’t let people with an agenda tell you otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure