1151617181921»

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only difference is speed (BT) 76 v (Plusnet) 38

Two different fibre packages .
    The cheaper fibre 1 BT is up to 52 meg compared to the one from PN at 38 meg .
    Up to 76 is usually a higher price .
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    The only difference is speed (BT) 76 v (Plusnet) 38

Two different fibre packages .
    The cheaper fibre 1 BT is up to 52 meg compared to the one from PN at 38 meg .
    Up to 76 is usually a higher price .

As an existing customer, the fibre 1 had it's increase to 76 for free (maybe only new customers still have the fibre 1 fibre 2 differences).
  • Tyler_Du
    Tyler_Du Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    deutsch wrote: »
    From the recent price rise email, I was offered £28.99/month for 18 month contract (Just fibre and phone). When I phoned through to retentions, this was the same offer and the adviser wouldn't budge and said they wouldn't price match.

Contract itself runs out in April.

Currently this morning, it looks like Plusnet is the one for me (I did mention this to him). £24.99 / month (18 month contract) + £25.00 set up and minus £70 Topcashback. Even without the TCB, it's still cheaper.

The only difference is speed (BT) 76 v (Plusnet) 38 which isn't something I'm too bothered about.

I've now initiated a switch for 17th Jan. Whilst going through, there was 12 months line rental saver (£2/month), so this made it cheaper.

Here's hoping BT respond with a better offer. Still, nothing to lose.

I'm in exactly the same situation, I've initiated a switch to Plusnet (£25 pm / £70 TCB) Got emails / calls from BT saying I'll owe £££s in early cancellation fees. Just got off phone to BT, initially they didn't believe I'd had the price increase email (I had to forward it to them) The best they could offer was more than the PN price of £25pm (around £21 if the cashback pays).

I politely declined that generous offer. With any luck PN will increase there prices next year and I jump back to BT and take advantage of new customer deals / cashback whatever :rotfl:
  • deutsch
    deutsch Posts: 398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So I rang up and was offered £24.99 / month for 12 months (infinity 2 speeds and landline). At least it's not 18 months!
    Adding line rental saver knocked it down to £23.40 / month for 12 months. Have to pay this up front (£208.80), but it's the overall cost price that matters.
    So in reality now, there's just a £2.24 differences for double the speed of the internet 76mb rather than 38.
    BT's landline - I get free calls up to an hour over the weekend (landlines only), which is also the only difference and has been known to be useful with the family.

It's £21.16 / month with plusnet for 18 months if I continue with the switch.
    Without TCB of £70 for plusnet, the cost would be £25.05/month with plusnet (cashback isn't always a guarantee though I couldn't see if going wrong on a smooth transaction).

Tempted to stay. Initating a switch though definitely brings BT more power for them to negotiate.
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So I rang up and was offered £24.99 / month for 12 months (infinity 2 speeds and landline). At least it's not 18 months!
    Adding line rental saver knocked it down to £23.40 / month for 12 months. Have to pay this up front (£208.80), but it's the overall cost price that matters.
    So in reality now, there's just a £2.24 differences for double the speed of the internet 76mb rather than 38.
    BT's landline - I get free calls up to an hour over the weekend (landlines only), which is also the only difference and has been known to be useful with the family.

Without TCB of £70 for plusnet, the cost would be £25.05/month with plusnet (cashback isn't always a guarantee though I couldn't see if going wrong on a smooth transaction).

Tempted to stay. Initating a switch though definitely brings BT more power for them to negotiate.

its a shame that it needs a transfer before BT bring out the good deals as this means faffing around and cancelling the switch as well, and in a lot of cases this gets messed up.
  • JohnnyZee
    Options

Thanks. I got the same offer from BT: £24.99/month for 12 months (£23.40/month for 12 months if line rental saver included).
    I also noted that Plusnet is offering their 38mbps fibre for £24.99/month (12 months now vs. 18 months). With £70 TCB, line rental saver and activation costs included, it works out to £18.74 a month (for 12 months). Will cashback be paid, guaranteed?
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    From the recent price rise email, I was offered £28.99/month for 18 month contract (Just fibre and phone). When I phoned through to retentions, this was the same offer and the adviser wouldn't budge and said they wouldn't price match.

Contract itself runs out in April.

Currently this morning, it looks like Plusnet is the one for me (I did mention this to him). £24.99 / month (18 month contract) + £25.00 set up and minus £70 Topcashback. Even without the TCB, it's still cheaper.

The only difference is speed (BT) 76 v (Plusnet) 38 which isn't something I'm too bothered about.

I've now initiated a switch for 17th Jan. Whilst going through, there was 12 months line rental saver (£2/month), so this made it cheaper.

Here's hoping BT respond with a better offer. Still, nothing to lose.

This bit thoughin BT's email price increase:
    "[FONT=&quot]You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something, please give us a call. If you want to leave and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to call us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time. "

[/FONT]
    I asked the BT guy if I needed to do / say anything and he said no. Should I trust the BT guy or call back and say the switch has been initiated? (or wait for BT's email?)

No BT wont call you back. Give it a couple of days and they'll text or write to you asking someone intiated a switch and 'are you sure you want to do this' letter/email. When you get this (or in the next 2-3 days, which ever is sooner), call their retentions again and see what they offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure