Cheap Car Hire: Slash £100s in hire and insurance costs

Options

Comments

• Katie789
    Katie789 Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    I'm looking to hire a car in italy (from marco polo Venice airport) for 10 days from 11th June.

It's the first time we've hired a car abroad and I'm really confused. I've read Martin's article and checked the 'screenscrapers' for price comparisons. I'm looking for an economy (Corsa-ish sized) car with 4 doors and air con.

The biggest point that i'm unsure about is deposits. I've found the car we wanted for £205 from easycar but having read the T&C's they want a 800-1100 euro credit card deposit. Is this normal? We'll really struggle to find that.

However I looked at a car from Budget that was £230 but made no mention of a deposit?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or any recommendations for Car Hire in Italy?

Thanks!
  • Tickdick00
    Tickdick00 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

Have a look at car hire through the Flybe.com website.

They have a sale at the moment, and the car rental is through Avis so should be good.

They were way cheaper than the screenscrapers I tried.

Can't help you with the insurance side I'm afraid - apparently the high deposits are commonplace throughout Italy.
  • janinem1974
    janinem1974 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have read some older threads about the problems with trying to hire a car using a DEBIT card - neither my partner or I have a credit card (dont want one and left it too late to get one).
    Wanted to see if there is any up-to-date information regarding this???

The only company I have had some joy with is Auto-europe but this is the email they sent be back:

Here is the information avilable regarding a cash rental:

"Client must leave a cash deposit equal to Balance due, tank of gas and local
    charges ( apt schg, add driver, equip etc ) and the deductible.(£405)
    - Client must meet requirements, final decision is left up to the desk (can be
    turned down if
    information is insufficient or can not be verified to Avis' satisfaction).
    Client must provide the following information:
    - Personal Details: Whole name / permanent address / phone number / date of birth / passport number
    - Local References: Hotel name or local address of residence in Spain / Return flight ticket
    - Business Details: Company name (of where client works) / address / phone number
    - Bank Details: Account number / address / phone number
    If client purchases super CDW locally : Client must leave a cash deposit equal to Balance due, tank of gas and local charges ( apt add driver equip etc )"

NOTE:
    1. the very high deposit £405
    2. "final decision is left up to the desk (can be turned down if
    information is insufficient or can not be verified to Avis' satisfaction)"
    - I rang AVIS (at Gerona) before i received this email - they stated NO DEBIT CARDS and didnt offer me any alternatives!

I have a VISA DEBIT but this seems unacceptable although I can use it for car hire in UK with no problem!

We fly on Thursday!

PLEASE HELP..........THANKS

JAN
  • BeeUK
    BeeUK Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    Record operate out of Girona, I have used them previously with a Maestro card in Palma. May be worth a look?
  • janinem1974
    janinem1974 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    FROM AVIS SPAIN T&C

PAYING FOR YOUR RENTAL: The cost of the rental can be charged to an Avis account or any of the leading credit cards accepted by Avis. If other methods of payment are used, a cash deposit for the approximate cost of the rental plus an additional 20% must be paid upfront.
    Cash rentals are only valid for car groups A to H and are subject to the final approval by the Avis rental office. If the information required is not presented by the customer or is insufficient, we reserve the right to decline the rental
  • marc.faulkner
    marc.faulkner Posts: 639 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was just wondering whether anybody knew what age restrictions were placed on hiring a car in Canada?

I'm going to be spending 2 weeks there in October, and would love to be able to drive, however I am only 19 (20 in November!) so not sure whether I would be able to hire or not?

Alternatively, my cousin lives over there, so he may add me to his insurance for those couple of weeks - although it will mean I could only use the car when he wasn't.

Cheers,
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try www.carhire4less.co.uk or www.carhire3000.com as they ask you to specify your age.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • marc.faulkner
    Options
    Thanks, unfortunately they both specify a minimum age of 21
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think ANY car hire firm in Canada will hire you a car under 21.

Most also charge an under-age fee for 21-25.

Will consult relatives over there when they phone today and will update this post later.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • marc.faulkner
    Options
    withabix wrote: »
    I don't think ANY car hire firm in Canada will hire you a car under 21.

Most also charge an under-age fee for 21-25.

Will consult relatives over there when they phone today and will update this post later.

You're a star, thanks. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport