Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The Met Office site is down.
    :eek:

That's bad news! :eek:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• chris_m
    chris_m Posts: 8,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    The Met Office site is down.

Not here, it's not.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In our little corner of the country, we were supposed to get the wind and rain but absolutely no snow and that is what I woke up to.

It started snowing about 15 minutes ago really quite heavily. We always seem to get it when they don't forecast it for us and don't when they do!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    chris_m wrote: »
    Not here, it's not.

The detailed forecast for my area is.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 December 2017 at 10:50AM
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    3-4-week old cooked chicken?

Frozen! I cooked it, cut it into little portions, froze it :)

I try to freeze food and get round to eating it pretty soon - else, the longer it's in the freezer, the less you fancy it ..... it also clutters up the space and before you know it you've a whole freezer stuffed full of food you don't fancy ....

I try to keep the freezer as clear as possible most of the time... in theory - so that what's in there's always fairly newish and yet there's always space for a "sudden/random purchase". It's not big, so it's important to keep food moving through it, not being stored in it.

I just remembered...just 2-3 days ago I got a quiche I cut into three and froze (that's for Xmas scoffing)....
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    We have a couple of inches, enough for church, carols and karate to all be cancelled.

Why is church cancelled?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,146 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Why is church cancelled?
    Was to be a schools mass so very full service, not sure if it was just the schools bit that was canx or the mass entirely. DW had decided not to go as it was school mass but it was too late for her to go once they cancelled the schools bit.
    I think....
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Still snowing, now looks like a winter wonderland yet 3 miles down the road, less as the crow flies (my parent's area), it's just grey and wet.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,146 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Winter wonderland
    5a2d0704018b4_IMG_20171210_0959061.thumb.jpg.5cc569e8a1902f5bfc09f3264bf14b53.jpg
    I think....
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options

My current annoyance at the digitisation is that the newspapers in my "town of interest" currently have very little. The period of "1920-1929" just has 1920 and "1930-1939" just has 1939 - and nothing after that date. There's also little pre-1800.

I dislike the lack of continuity you get from breaks ... if I spot something interesting in, say, 1920 .... I can't follow that through the January 1921 to see what any outcome was. I've also no clue when/if more will come... all I can do is monitor/spot when/if something new has been added. Maybe somebody out there has a list that says "that's it", or "planned for 2024" ... or maybe the list says "completion of everything, the lot, from 1700-2000 tomorrow" and so that lack of having a clue is annoying.

Although I doubt the British Library even has copies of the newspapers of most interest to me ...do they have "one of everything"? or is it down to individual newspaper archives existing and allowing them to do it etc? My "town of interest" archives seem to love keeping them locked away in a basement, unindexed... with doorkeepers to the information and you'd have to physically attend and sit and go through everything yourself to ever know what was printed on those pages.

The British Library newspaper holdings from 1840 onwards are pretty comprehensive. I know there are some gaps, but not major. The biggest issue is the time it will take to do, as it is an absolutely massive project, much bigger than Trove.

A lot of places don't have much pre-1800. Your best bet there is the Burney Collection, also BL, though I'm not sure where you can access it locally, I don't know for me either and my access to stuff is pretty good.

There's a good list here, so you can get an idea of what they have from the 19th century:
    http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/pdfs/headnotesconsolidatedlist.pdf

There's also good information on the scope of their collection on this page, though it is a bit out of date:
    http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelprestype/news/blnewscoll/

Have you had a play with Europeana yet? They are running a transcribathon to transcribe WW1 cards, letters, etc. Didn't know if that would be up your street.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport