Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 December 2017 at 11:16AM
    Options
    Do you know what's down-heartening on a hard frosty morning ... when all the cars outside are frozen white and solid ....?

Sitting under a blanket, with your outside fleece on .... having not had the heating on since 7pm last night .... and seeing the white condensation cloud from the boiler exhaust of the heating systems of absent neighbours who have their heating on in their empty houses.

Rich bugg4hs can afford to heat their houses when they're not even IN them!

Bah humbug.

EDIT: I gave in. It's 12C. I put the heating on for a bit :)
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I’d love to buy an electric car (being a hippie and all that) but they’re just so expensive as an initial outlay. Really want a Nissan Leaf but they’re about £25k new I think?! I’ll wait 10 years ha.

Speaking of driving - suuuuuper icy this morning all, be careful! Not driverless yet ha!

I’ve just got to the airport :) France here I come! My anxiety came back in full force this morning, nearly threw up and now I’m all angsty and shifty (which probably looks dodgy in an airport ha!) Weird considering I’ve done this before. Guess I am nervous after all! :eek:

Enjoy! :cool:

I love France, where in the country are you going?
    May the friends of Allahu Akbar ... not choose your flight to express their love for him :)

You'd not get me up in a plane.... trapped in a metal tube, far above the ground, with annoying people with annoying habits.... no thanks.

Allahu Akbar means 'God is greater'. It's a peaceful saying, completely misinterpreted by a tiny minority.

At least Rach isn't stuck in a 180 seat A320 type of metal tube for 5 hours on a night flight as I will be subjecting myself to in February, probably with an overweight gentleman pushing himself into my knees for the whole flight again.

That said, being home is worth it.

On that note, I need to get some thoughts/ideas written down for a Monday morning meeting, which as anyone who has had an insight to the inner workings of my brain knows will take a while for anyone (including myself) to be able to understand if I don't start now.

Have a good weekend nice people, and I'll see you in a while :cool:
    💙💛 💔
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you know what's down-heartening on a hard frosty morning ... when all the cars outside are frozen white and solid ....?

Sitting under a blanket, with your outside fleece on .... having not had the heating on since 7pm last night .... and seeing the white condensation cloud from the boiler exhaust of the heating systems of absent neighbours who have their heating on in their empty houses.

Bah humbug.

You're more hardcore than me!

I let it get down to 14c and then put it on. Don't have to worry about keeping it nicely heated for Joe anymore, so I don't.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,064 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    You're more hardcore than me!

I let it get down to 14c and then put it on. Don't have to worry about keeping it nicely heated for Joe anymore, so I don't.

On returning from Georgia (already frozen from having to walk up a hill in cold weather) the clicker thing on the thermostat was below the minimum 10 degrees where it will register.

Refuge was quickly sought in the pub for an hour (until it closed) once the boiler had been turned on while waiting for the house to thaw out, and it sadly was only at around 13 degrees upon returning.

The heating system was unsurprisingly left on until the following morning when it had turned itself off upon reaching 17 degrees.
    💙💛 💔
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’d love to buy an electric car (being a hippie and all that) but they’re just so expensive as an initial outlay. Really want a Nissan Leaf but they’re about £25k new I think?! I’ll wait 10 years ha.

Speaking of driving - suuuuuper icy this morning all, be careful! Not driverless yet ha!

I’ve just got to the airport :) France here I come! My anxiety came back in full force this morning, nearly threw up and now I’m all angsty and shifty (which probably looks dodgy in an airport ha!) Weird considering I’ve done this before. Guess I am nervous after all! :eek:
    Our leaf cost 12k from new and we are missing it so much, the hire car is now saying 22 miles range left but still don't fancy standing outside in the cold to fill it up. And did I mention the cost :eek:

Now you mention it I remember that nervous feeling before going away for the season. You will be fine and have a great time, in my day comtact home was expensive phone calls from a payphone or even letters, nowadays you are jusr a whatsapp from your loved ones.
    I think....
  • michaels
    Options
    T-shirt weather in the house here, we have only been with the new energy supplier and they have already written to us to pit up the monthly payments, now 60 per month more than last year....
    I think....
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Good journey, Rachli! :D
    And happy chalet-ing!

You'd not get me up in a plane.... trapped in a metal tube, far above the ground, with annoying people with annoying habits.... no thanks.
    It's fanatastic, Pastures. You really should do it at least once!

No worse than being in a metal tube travelling underground, squashed up against the great unwashed! :D

Bah humbug.

It's a false economy not to have the heating on when the house is unoccupied. Don't want things to get frozen, which could cost a lot more money to rectify.

It doesn't need to be on very high....... I used to set my thermostat at about 10 or 12C, when I was working away from home, just to make sure it ticked over in very cold weather.

I won't stint on heating now, due to my breathing being not very good....chilly air exacerbates it. I'd rather go without something else.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,106 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    We have a frost setting with Hive. Think it is about 8 degrees.

Our internet has gone down :( which also means no TV. Not going to be fixed before tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • michaels
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    We have a frost setting with Hive. Think it is about 8 degrees.

Our internet has gone down :( which also means no TV. Not going to be fixed before tomorrow afternoon at the earliest.
    The disadvatages of not using an aeriel....
    I think....
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    May the friends of Allahu Akbar ... not choose your flight to express their love for him :)

In the late 80s I had to travel to Greece and the cheapest flight was using CSA via Prague. I’d barely visited any western countries let alone eastern ones. I was nervous, but the journey taught me a major lesson. Those guys had security built into every atom. The eastern passengers were in separate rows from the western ones. Prague airport dragged off every third passenger to be searched. The airport was clearly surrounded by tanks. All the other planes I saw were from airlines I hadn’t clocked before: Interflug, Balkan, Malev, Tarom, Lot. Everybody was in uniform. And when I thought about it more, I remembered this was the country that made Semtex, so good luck to any terrorist that took them on. Plus they were in the Warsaw Pact, so attacking them meant world war 3. Felt very very much safer, the more I thought of it.

Back then there were attempts to blow up planes, and as my home was under a flight path it was a bit unnerving. One night I thought I saw a plane coming down in flames and couldn’t understand how it wasn’t in the news. Decades later found it was just a meteor and other people had been similarly baffled.

I’m getting more convinced that pre-internet history is going to disappear forever and not in the far future either. People will be too lazy to hunt down what used to happen beyond the google/yahoo answers/ask.com event horizon.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure