Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

The Nice People Thread, No.16: A Universe of Niceness.

Options

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,025 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Snowing nicely up here.

Very Xmassy. :xmastree:
    Just 'king cold here, so glad I am allowed to stand out in a windswept school field for 90 mins tomorrow morning. Still probably better than Sunday morning when we are promised gales, 2 degrees and rain.

How is the motor Mr McT? Ours is back on Monday, can't come soon enough, I forgot how rubbish ice cars are. We drive very economically from our leccy car but on our usage the petrol is giving us 20mpg for something that is slower, noiser, jerkier and smells. It now needs filling which rather than requiring plugging it in in the garage and spending 1-2 quid involves going and atanding in the cold for 5 minutes and parting with £50. How do people afford petrol cars?
    I think....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    How do people afford petrol cars?

Many have to as they can't afford the leccy ones.... and/or have no access to a socket ... and/or have no idea how it all works.

There are two sets of people:
    - those with electric car experience/knowledge.
    - those who think it's some futurey-dodgy-wouldn't-touch-it thing that's not for them/in their area .... and it all sounds a bit risky.

If you asked me why I don't have one, the reasons would be:
    - can't afford one.
    - no socket/access.
    - don't really understand it/scared.
    - aren't replacement batteries £8k?
  • vivatifosi
    vivatifosi Posts: 18,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee! PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I am the third type of person... wait until the Tesla technology is cheap and mainstream enough to buy. It wasn't the right move this time round, but if I keep my current car for 7-8 years as I currently plan, there is a good chance the choices will have moved on.

Seven to eight years from now my car will be electric. The one after that will be electric and driverless.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,025 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think 7 or 8 years will be driverless already. 2 to 3 years most cars will be hybrid or electric.
    I think....
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    How is the motor Mr McT?

Got it back today with a plethora of new bits attached. (insert happy Scotsman smiley here)

And not before time, the rental was only 2wd and annoyingly underpowered.

Company is now £2k lighter, but hey ho, could have been worse. Could have been me paying for it! :eek:
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

-- President John F. Kennedy”
  • HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    HAMISH_MCTAVISH Posts: 28,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 9 December 2017 at 12:18AM
    Options
    vivatifosi wrote: »
    wait until the Tesla technology is cheap and mainstream enough to buy. It wasn't the right move this time round,

Yep.

I've just yesterday bought my mother another German diesel to replace her 12 year old one with 140k miles that gave up the ghost last week - the old one was a diesel - the new(ish, with under 40k miles) one is also a diesel. And it'll last her until she doesn't need to drive any more I suspect.

In the same boat for myself - after many months of negotiation freedom from the daily grind is now agreed and imminent by spring next year - looking at suitable vehicles to buy just now and the prime candidate is a big German diesel SUV thingy. Electrics are just not there yet.

But I'd agree my next car in 7-10 years will likely be hybrid at least.
    “The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.

Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

• HAMISH_MCTAVISH
    Options
    I think 7 or 8 years will be driverless already. 2 to 3 years most cars will be hybrid or electric.

I reckon we're still two decades away from full autonomous being the majority of new sales.

I could just about see hybrids/electrics combined being greater than 50% of new car sales in 5 years, but I think we're still a decade from electric-only being greater than 50%.

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    SingleSue wrote: »
    as the one thing I know my mental health would not have survived was the process for ESA or JSA.

So true, sadly :(
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Joe has been invited to an awards ceremoney at his old college as he has been nominated for an award.

Fingers crossed now that the nomination turns into an actual award!
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 December 2017 at 8:50AM
    Options

I don't trust half the semi-driverless gadgets mine has on it now.

I'm even less likely to trust something completely driverless. I don't think we're going to see those without driving licenses able to 'drive' them in my lifetime either.

For reference, I've got a 2.75 year old mini-execmobile (I'll own it outright in Feb/Mar as it's on a cheap finance deal) and cover high mileages (currently at around 136k IIRC).

ETA: It's 138461, did have 5 less but I've just been to Tescos :)
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport