🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa

Options

Comments

• Marksfish
    Marksfish Posts: 277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I transferred out with app and online, both times it was instantly available in my Nationwide account.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    They may say that, but they likely won't be able to. Max telephone banking w/d is £10k per day... if you have managed to activate it without a card.

What is the process for telephone banking activation?
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Is it instant like their FPI ??

It is to the Halifax.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2017 at 1:47PM
    Options
    miller wrote: »
    What is the process for telephone banking activation?
    It was a fluke for me, but when you activate the app it apparently it also automatically activates telephone banking (says so somewhere in the app bumf but can't find it now..sorry).

I'd suggest you ask them what (other) method there is, but I know that most, if not all of their CS seem surprised I'm allowed do it without a card - suggesting they don't know.
    EDIT: I was just on to them chasing a resolution (again) and asked the same question.
    The CS said when you order a card reader a 2nd level of security is triggered that should automatically activate telephone banking.
    When I said that didn't work for me early on, he said did have issues with the process earlier.

So if you've not tried it, just phone up and ask for telephone banking, have your customer number ready (DoB DDMMYY + 4 digits they supplied) and see how it goes?
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thanks for that. I vaguely remember seeing something in the reams of documentation saying it should already be activated, but then you never can be sure with this lot :-)
  • organum
    organum Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finally put all the pieces together and what a palava!

The good news

The iOS app is excellent for access with fingerprint.
    Enough info came in by email to enable deposits.
    Transfers are fast both ways.

The bad news

Because all the other stuff, card reader, card and PIN come in three separate posts there are delays.
    You cannot take out electronically more than £250 until the card reader is activated. Ok you can transfer 10k by telephone but who does that?!
    The card reader is like a bygone era. My HSBC account uses an app on the phone.

So finally I can use the account but will probably close it due to having to cart around the card reader.
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 6,039 Forumite
    Options
    organum wrote: »
    Finally put all the pieces together and what a palava!

So finally I can use the account but will probably close it due to having to cart around the card reader.

Don't you just need the card/ pin/card reader to set up a new payee, then you don't need it to withdraw to that payee again.. as in First Direct digidongleting, Nationwide card reader etc?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    organum wrote: »
    You only need the card reader to set up a new payee. Presumably that's not something you do umpteen times for this account?
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Don't you just need the card/ pin/card reader to set up a new payee, then you don't need it to withdraw to that payee again.. as in First Direct digidongleting, Nationwide card reader etc?
    I made a withdrawal of around £20,000 earlier this week, to a payee I had set up at the weekend. The card reader was required to make the payment.

With regards to Nationwide, it can vary widely. Sometimes they ask for the card reader for existing payees (including to my own FlexDirect account), even occassionally for downloading a PDF credit card statement.
  • organum
    organum Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I made a withdrawal of around £20,000 earlier this week, to a payee I had set up at the weekend. The card reader was required to make the payment.

With regards to Nationwide, it can vary widely. Sometimes they ask for the card reader for existing payees (including to my own FlexDirect account), even occassionally for downloading a PDF credit card statement.

Agreed. I just made an app max payment to my HSBC host account and no card reader was necessary and the payment instant.

I am surprised that so many banks still use card readers. I always considered HSBC to be behind the curve but it seems not. A phone banking app that doubles as security codes, as now the standard on HSBC, seems the most ideal way.

Of course their interest rates are not the most ideal.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure