Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows

Options

Comments

• timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can understand wanting to save money by not paying for specific seats. I can understand being a little disappointed that this means you're not even sitting with each other by chance. But I can also see why this would be the case, and it's nothing as simple as money grubbing (well, OK, maybe it's partly that too).

If you have 15 people in one party, and you sit them in...say, one full row of 3, 3 pairs of seats together, and 6 sitting alone, you're going to have a far worse situation, because they all know each other, so Chantelle will want to swap seats with Charlene so she can sit next to Chartreuse, and Chlamydia will refuse to sit next to Chloe after what she said on the way to the airport. Crystal will refuse to swap with Crystel because she doesn't want to sit on her own. So they'll all want to switch seats to take the best advantage of the ones that are grouped.

But of course, they won't do this in the departure lounge because that would eat into duty free time. No, the moment they'll decide to sort this out is right in the aisles of the plane while everybody else is trying to board, with much the same level of consideration as when they yell "Right, what d'you want?" to their friends at the other side of the room after finally getting their turn at the 6-deep bar.

That's a pain for other passengers, it's a pain for flight attendants, and it risks a conflict that could potentially cause the plane to be delayed while the bickering bints are offloaded. Far better to just sit them ALL separately and avoid the problems. This also explains why they're all in middle seats - putting everybody in the same position means nobody has a "better" seat, so nobody has a reason to swap.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 July 2017 at 3:02PM
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Ive no idea what it might be - that's why I asked the question of skybluearmyontour.

It sounded odd to me that he/she suggested including the seat selection fee in the flight price but went on to say they never pay for allocated seating.

Indeed, making suggestion is fine, but people do not seem to realize that Ryan Air along with other budget airlines have made a decision "pay what you need" as their pricing strategy. Also people seem to forget that it is not your duty to dictate how airlines are running their businesses.

It is a winning recipe as applying this business model they keep making profit. Also evidence that increasing number of the major airlines have been trying to adopt this winning prescription. Why do they need to listen random people suggestion who do not have any knowledge of running a fleet.

This is what RA keep telling you:
    "Hate Ryan Air do not fly Ryan Air"
    "You pay nothing you get nothing"

Do not you get the message !!!

Normally if you hate the company you will not do anymore business with them but here, people keep saying they do not like, never fly Ryan Air, yet they keep coming back once they find out the cost of alternative flight with major airlines.

Also people talking a lot of nonsense about safety for separating adults who refuse to pay for additional fee starting from £2 for allocated seats. These policy have been there since 2014 and many budget airlines and increasing number of major airlines around the world have been adopting this policy. Also as another member in this thread has pointed out
    "Have to laugh at the whingers who would be so concerned about their families if there was a plane crash but not concerned enough to pay the £2 per person in the first place"

If there was a safety issue here the regulator would have been stepping up. Also keep in mind RA is one of the safest airlines in the world.

RA do not break any rule, T&C, law. People who thing they break any law, rule, take them to the court or to the regulator.

But the fact that paying for allocated seat have been there since 2014 and nobody dare to challenge them in the court, take them to regulator has spoken itself. People know that the chance of winning it is next to none.
    The Ryanair algorithm should have put
    the hen party in a cage in the hold.
    I have no prejudice against drunken groups of middle aged women wearing tutus and l-Plates.
    _party__party__party_:drool::drool::drool::drool::heartsmil

Lol, I love this. Indeed hens need to be held /contained in a cage. But I find it awesome to watch middle aged women wearing tutus.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It occurred to me another side effect of this new policy.... and one that Ryanair won't like.

On-board sales. When travelling, particularly on holiday, there's every chance I'd buy a drink or two from the trolley as it passes. When sat with friends/family/colleagues, a lot of people will buy a drink. It's a social thing and you're going away etc. Onboard sales is a huge revenue stream for airlines.

However, when I fly alone I very rarely bother. And I'm not sure others would either. The social aspect of it is lost, and I'm more than happy listening to music, read a book/magazine, play suduko etc.

If they see a significant dent in onboard sales you can guarantee this policy will quietly disappear.
  • adindas
    Options
    bagand96 wrote: »
    It occurred to me another side effect of this new policy.... and one that Ryanair won't like.

On-board sales. When travelling, particularly on holiday, there's every chance I'd buy a drink or two from the trolley as it passes. When sat with friends/family/colleagues, a lot of people will buy a drink. It's a social thing and you're going away etc. Onboard sales is a huge revenue stream for airlines.

However, when I fly alone I very rarely bother. And I'm not sure others would either. The social aspect of it is lost, and I'm more than happy listening to music, read a book/magazine, play suduko etc.

If they see a significant dent in onboard sales you can guarantee this policy will quietly disappear.

Very good point there. They will definitely consider it if this social thing is generating more profit than the current policy of paying fee for guaranteed seats.
    They not? Oh - how'd you work that out?

"People" are generally apathetic especially in relation to matters they do not fully understand. That is until something obviously wrong occurs. Then generally, people are up in arms for a few weeks and slip back into "keep calm and carry on / roll me over in the clover" mode. Is that good?

Reread my post #216 ....
    Also as there are reasonable number of airlines have the policy of paying for guaranteed seats are they all breaking the law ??

Watchdog, regulator, lawyer definitely understand about the law and regulation in aviation industry.

If the law has been broken here
    Why the airlines watchdog, regulator have not reacted ?
    Where are the lawyers who happen to be effected with this policy ??? It is a money making opportunity for lawyers if they believe the law has been broken here ....This policy has been there since 2014.

Also those people including you if you believe the law has been broken here why do not you take RA to the court or to regulator ?? Keep in mind there is an incentive here in term of getting compensation if you win.

It seems the people have not got the message of what RA keep telling people:

Keep in mind nobody is forcing you fly RA.
  • adindas
    edited 1 July 2017 at 11:40PM
    Options
    OK done that. I note your view that my view is a lot of nonsense (when I emphasise the degradation of safety caused by unnecessary risks - and very obvious risks too, if you really think about it) introduced recklessly into any Ryanair emergency evacuation scenario).
    I am not personally aware of any other airline that deliberately splits up groups who choose "free allocation". Irrespective of whether they do or use a more civilised algorithm, Ryanair is a giant among other airlines in Western Europe. If there is any that does, then my comments hold good for them also.
    Yes indeed. Do you know anything about the various regulators that may be involved in the Ryanair case alone? I can think of three, and one does not have the word aviation in its title.

Lawyers who value their careers and hope that they are on a path to personal financial success, generally make most of their money from acting on behalf of ruthless corporates, not acting against them, so how do you arrive at your conclusion?,

Utter tosh where is the lawyers working for the other side, for passengers.
    How many lawyers are representing ordinary people winning compensation from corporation.

Have to laugh at the whingers who would be so concerned about their families, safety but not concerned enough to pay the £2 per person in the first place.

Don't be silly. Ryanair's deliberate splitting up of pairs and larger groups who do not pay for allocated seats almost certainly began on 15th May 2017, and BBC say it is evidenced by a travel agent's records. The travel agent noticed the distinct change and reported it to BBC Watchdog programme. And why do you think no-one else has complained about it since 2014 if it has been the same policy since 2014? Every year for years I've flown with Ryanair way more often than most fly in ten years and have almost never paid for a seat except when my other half said we deserved a break from moneysaving! And until our recent flight together, we'd never been split up.

This is the message from Ryan Air.

Indeed you deserve a break from money saving. Please do yourself a favor promise that you will never fly Ryan air.

But mind you there are lot of people out there have been saying that, yet they keep coming back. Hopefully you will not become one of them.

RA do not break any rule, T&C, law. People who thing they break any law, rule, take them to the court or to the regulator.
  • adindas
    edited 2 July 2017 at 11:06AM
    Options
    You aren't making much sense, adindas. In fact it sounds like you may be talking out of the back of your hat as we used to say :p

I speak on all these angles from a position of some experience of aviation, of aviation risks, and of travelling with Ryanair way more than most people every have done or will do, and most years also traveling with other airlines too, so I can make informed comparisons, but mostly I fly Ryanair.. They go my way you see. There are things I can rely on and if Ryanair starts going downhill then I notice and quite often I report what I see ... simple as ;)

I ain't your usual self-loading freight, so I make quite informed decisions - which means I am in a lucky position of knowing more or less exactly what I am doing.

I can see you don't get the safety angle at all, and it sounds like you may have scant experience of using the legal profession too?

For a start you must have misquoted that message from Ryanair because they never refer to themselves as "Ryan Air" in two separate words. It might be named originally after a bloke named Ryan but the name of the outfit is Ryanair. Even if the gist of the message is correctly reported, why would I pay any regard to it? I make my own decisions - I certainly don't allow myself to be influenced by silly words like you have attributed to them :p

How can we take your assertion that no rule or law is being broken, seriously? You have not even begun to engage with the real and obvious question of extra hazard in emergency evacuations created by persons who like you haven't really thought much about it, but suddenly might want to care about the well-being of a loved one or friend before they run away from a burning aircraft. It takes unavailable extra time for unprepared persons to process what they should do in such situations. The 90 second rule is already quite 'airy-fairy' without adding obvious degradation ...see here: https://www.wired.com/2008/08/as-your-flight/

I am not whinging. I am making it clear where the unnecessary risk lies. You seem to be whinging about being offered an education by someone who might just have thought a little more carefully about the risks. So where exactly are all the whingers you are talking about who are making conscious decisions to degrade their own safety?? We can't all sit next to emergency exits - and even if we could, who says we won't get trodden down in a panicked crowd ?

Of course if you don't really care one way or the other, and are simply here to heckle those that do, you could just say so.

It makes me chuckle at the whingers who are talking about risk, concerned about their families, safety bs but not concerned enough to pay the £2 per person in the first instance.

Passenger safety is paramount and people who concern about safety should bring their concern to watchdog, regulator. The watchdog, regulator will take it serious if they see any issue. You are not going to waste time arguing with people you do not know who their prime motive is not to pay £2 using bs safety arguments.

It is called a Pay What You Want (or PWYW) pricing strategy if people want to bother.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay_what_you_want

Most people know that it is not your duty to dictate how RA are running their business. Whether you like it or not, that is who they are.

I am not talking out of my hat but I am talking about the truth. Here is what RA has been saying.

It is a clear message to whingers. They want you to go away and take your business business anywhere else with whom you like and stop flying RA.

Normally if you hate the company you will not do anymore business with them but here, people keep saying they do not like Ryan Air, yet they keep coming back. It is funny to see how they react.

Those people who keep whinging, do yourself a favour promise take your business anywhere else. If many whingers are doing this and RA start loosing money, RA might reconsider their pricing strategy.

RA do not break any rule, T&C, law. People who think they break any law, rule, take them to the court or to the regulator. Keep in mind, if you win you might get compensation.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ....others in your community.

Does the community lose out from others rejoining under different names?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Highlighting is mine.
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Been away in warmer climes (I drove).
    Only read the last 2 pages - cannot stop laughing, what a hoot!
    Suppose should be encouraged that 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' is alive and kicking in a younger generation, but honestly, where do they get their entitlement from?
    Must blame the education system for their lack of ability to discuss and answer straight questions, then reduce to sarcasm when cornered.
    Truly pathetic (they know who they are).
    Tumblr, Reddit, Facebook, Twitter, being SJWs and/or millennials.

Feel free to take your pick :)
  • richardw
    edited 3 July 2017 at 1:03PM
    Options
    In 17,785 posts, I've never been banned.
  • richardw
    edited 3 July 2017 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Just stating that I've never been banned.

If you want to comment, you need to stick to the rules.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure