What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 19/3

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important :money:
Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I wouldn't want anyone to think I stayed up until midnight to post but I stayed up until midnight :D

So, since my last post about feeling 'lighter' having got rid of some stuff I've just sorted washing pile number one and have thrown out everything that depresses me. A pair of pyjamas that were the only thing I could find to exchange an even more hideous jumper for, a pair of socks where just one of them went in the wash with a red dress, two checked teatowels that went like seersucker the first time they were washed. I won't be giving kon Marie a run for her money any time soon but it's a start.

I think my trouble is that I think it's wasteful to get rid of things and then I just have piles of stuff waiting to be ebayed, another for the charity shop, another for a boot sale etc etc and it's all just clutter.

What I have learned of late is that eBay isn't what it used to be and you may sell stuff at a boot sale but only if you are selling for a fraction of its worth. There is a place down the road that buys clothes by the kilo but I'm always at work so that just leaves the charity shop (who are unlikely to want my tonally mismatched socks anyway.)

So it is all in the recycling bin and there will be plenty more joining it!

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :hello: thanks for the start FVD I know what you mean about stuff, think it's always nice to think you get can something for it but that's just not always possible and when it's like that it's better just to get rid than have it hanging around.

Anyone know if it's easy to take down a greeenhouse? I really would like one (but obviously not at full price ;)) and there are lots of them on fleabay fairly locally but they are all 'buyer to dismantle' and I don't want to not be able to take it down.

Lovely day again here today, albeit I'm at work, but WFH so can't complain. My list:
    Check banking, surveys, FPL
    Get chicken breast out of freezer so DH and I can have chicken Caesar salad for tea using ys lettuce and bargain avocado :A
    Water garden later when it's cooler, although one weather app suggests we may have some rain this evening that would save me a job
    Some sort of exercise
    Mop kitchen and bathroom if I have time
    Lots of work so rest of the week isn't so stressful
    Post fleabay item (listed for about 10th time - I knew it would go eventually :o)
    Check fridge and check nothing needs freezing/using up

Right, off to pack up school bags etc... enjoy your day.
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,176 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Purplefairy - Depends on the type of greenhouse. Ours is a basic aluminium frame one. We bought it new & put it together ourselves. Thinking backwards, you'd need to remove the glass, which is in panels held in place with glazing clips. Then the frame which is bolted together so you'd need some spanners. I would also take a selection of lidded pots to collect all the bolts, nuts, clips, etc. It is likely that you may lose 1 or 2 glazing panels but these are replaceable from glass companies & greenhouse glass isn't expensive. Something to ask the seller: How is the greenhouse currently set into the ground. The instructions for ours was to erect the basic corner poles & cross struts then to set the corner poles into holes before filling them with quick-set concrete. Easy to do & keeps greenhouse in place but may mean removing posts is more difficult than dismantling a freestanding greenhouse. Might be worth checking.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 June 2017 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Good Morning All

FVD - Thanks for starting us off today!

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Apologies for going AWOL, I have been keeping the faith. Hubby is making excellent progress. Looking like another gorgeous day but such a shame to wake up to yet more shocking news from London. Hug your loved ones close, today's little list:

Packed lunch for DS - Done
    Check Bank & make PAD - Done
    RM Surveys -
    Appointment at 3pm (Falls Clinic - me) -
    Ironing - Done
    Clean decking (thanks pinterest for DIY option) -
    Declutter a couple of drawers in bedroom -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Luckyphone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day all!

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Thanks for starting us off FVD - hope you have a great week off :)
    Good luck with the greenhouse hunt PF, if you decide you don't have time to go after one that needs dismantling (and remember you will have to transport it, too), remember new ones will be on sale around now, so worth seeing what is about before you decide :)
    Ziggy, it is great to hear that your OH is recovering well :)

It is going to be very hot here again, and I am a bit headachey, so no major plans:
    Tidy up
    Sow some seeds
    Water front garden pots
    Plenty of food in / cooked as we did lots for dinner yesterday as family visited :)
    Freeze leftover rolls to avoid waste, too many for us to eat
    Freeze stock made from beef bones overnight
    Check for surveys
    Check banks
    Pay milk bill
    Try (again) to claim OH's state pension online. The web site wasn't working properly over the weekend :mad: Hope it works ok today or he will have to claim by phone, and he is useless at that kind of thing :(

Hope everyone has a good day :)
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys
    Another scorcer today and the lab is already at 27C so not looking forward to this afternoon :(
    toadys list for me is

check bank and make PAD
    update spending/saving/pading book
    packed lunches for work
    dinner out of freezer
    workout DVDs after work .. hopefully it wont be tooo hot at home
    check ebay package ready for posting tomorrow
    iron new stuff for ebay.
    tidy before bed as a mega busy day tomorrow.

Hope you all have a fab day and enjoy the sunshine :)
    lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all :hello:
    I'm struggling quite a bit in the heat, and with tiredness, and with my workload at the moment. So I'm not feeling great but I'm quite determined that I'm not going under in spite of it all. One exam paper is marked and finished and the other should be done tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
    It is amazing how a good night's sleep makes everything look ok - unfortunately I haven't had one so I feel a bit rubbish.
    Nothing much to report as I'm too busy with work stuff but I'm hanging on in there.
  • determined_new_ms
    Options
    Morning - just! I went to the allotment at 7.15 this morning in the hope of it being cooler - it was still baking! - and I confess I've got a little sun burn on my face :( got loads done though :) erected a frame and plants runner beans, dug over a bed, planted leeks, harvested calabrese and a few radishes, partially weeded potato bed. Was there just over 3 hours which means I suspect I'll feel it later as my rule is 2hrs!

Came home and started the house work but have stopped for a coffee and break. Intending to clean and tidy through, vacuum, polish, might clean bathroom

have put one load in machine. Will hang out and do another load when it's finished

Have mountain of washing to put away

Going to buy the items needed for madam's sand/water station

clean out fridge, making sure everything that needs using gets used!

Do financial check in. Things have been falling by the wayside and need to get on top of it all!

Ok that will do for now!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just scraping in with a good morning everyone. Many thanks for starting the thread FVD
    Been good and bad-
    Banking all checked
    Cat cleaning all done
    Paperwork-an ongoing process, with meeting tonight.
    More washing to go out in a minute and run hoover over

The bad-got impatient and ordered a new bedside table and lamp for project back bedroom. I've been looking around for quirky lighting and spotting other bits in the process. I did have a 20% off code and I've decided that I will replace the money with birthday monies.
    Rang step father last night to wish him a happy father's day and he reminded me it was my birthday coming up- i had completely forgot. There is nothing I really want or need so would rather birthday monies went on project back bedroom that will keep me out of mischief planning it
    Have a good day everyone xx
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My week off isn't until the first week of July, Dawn, I'm just getting a bit overexcited about it!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure