🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PinknSparkly's Mortgage Wannabe savings dairy

Options

Comments

• savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good luck with the cat. Hope vet can help. I'm taking a tour party to Bath
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 October 2018 at 6:13PM
    Options
    Wow, it's been a while since I last posted on here, mostly because I keep feeling I need to have a "reason" to post. In the last couple of weeks I've been reading through the Mortgage Free Wannabe and Debt Free Wannabe diaries and think that the act of reporting in on a more regular basis will help keep me focused and also celebrate the tiny wins that are easy to lose sight of in the generally day to day!

Having now been employed for six months post PhD, we approached a mortgage broker to see what our options were. Long story short.... We need to wait until I've been employed for a year so that's on hold until 2019. We're still intending to buy the house we're currently in from my y parents so nothing has changed on that front and fortunately they are happy and able to wait a little longer than we originally thought! And actually it works out quite well time wise as it means we would (hopefully) be buying shortly AFTER the deadline for submitting my PhD corrections rather than before :rotfl:

In sad news, my grandmother passed away a couple of months ago and I am now without any grandparents :( Our plans in terms of houses, PhD and trying for babies were that we would buy the house (and decimate our savings!) then immediately start trying for a baby and rebuild our savings in the (at least) 9 months of both of us in full time employment. However, we've been left quite a few thousands in Grandma's will and so we're going to use that as our baby fund. I'd like to use the money for something she'd like, and I can't think of anything she'd approve of more!! That also means that we'll be able to start doing some of the cheaper bits we want to do to the house as soon as we've saved up the pennies rather than needing to save up a baby fund first!

I'm also attempting to follow the Blood Sugar Diet (800 calories per day for 8 weeks) though I'm being a bit pragmatic and am aiming for at least four days per week to be 800 and just remain sensible on the rest! I'm also aiming for three exercise classes per week (gym membership paid in full for 12 months last January so is basically free!)

Please feel free to ignore my regular ramblings - my intention is to check in on here as a personal accountability thing and it probably won't be the most entertaining!

After this, I'll tootle off to calculate and update my signature.

Checking in for the day:

MSE behaviour: decided against spending an extra £5 to get free P&P on a gift. The P&P was £2 and there is nothing else I need so it would have been a waste of £3. It's just so ingrained in me to not want to pay P&P :j

Meal planning: have made a meal plan for the next week until Friday. We're away this weekend and food is provided (we're all taking some with us to share)

Healthy eating and exercise: been to BodyBalance this morning and rudely reminded of just how inflexible I am (1/3)! On track to eat less than 800 calories today (1/4 - hopefully!!).
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Just updated my signature. It looks like we may have a 20% deposit by point we're ready to buy the house as my husband is due an annual bonus at the end of November!! I'm quite dumbfounded to be perfectly honest, at the start of this journey I thought a 15% deposit was an almost completely unattainable goal :-) :-)
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    So my plan for the day is as follows:

1. Long day at work to catch up on work that needs to finished off this week in preparation for meeting tomorrow
    2. Go to Post Office on my lunchbreak to send a travel claim for European trains to Germany
    3. Stick to 800 calories for the day
    4. BodyBalance gym class at 8pm
    5. Eat to meal plan (have got breakfast and lunch with me, and made my husband's lunch last night so only dinner to go!)

Let's get at it!
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Nothing wrong with your ramblings missus! You are facing life with a real joie de vie! It is infectious - we enjoy your posts!

On a serious note though, I am so sorry about losing your grandmother. It must be difficult. I think your decision to spend the inheritance on your future family was a wise one and very fitting. Your family will be so happy and so proud of you.

Keep saving and please do keep posting. You always leave me with a smile on my face.
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Hi savingwannabe! Thanks so much for your lovely lovely post, it made me all smiley inside. I have to very embarrassedly (is that a word??) admit to having only just realised what your username means.... I hadn't twigged the "wannabe" part of your username until I'd been reading through all the Mortgage-free wannabe and debt-free wannabe diaries. I am definitely with you on the savings-wannabe front!! It's a funny thing with Grandma - on one hand it was a relief all round when she passed away as she's been in so much pain and completely unable to understand what's going on or recognise people for so long that it's wonderful that she's now at peace. But on the other hand, no matter how much you prepare for it - it always comes as a huge body blow when it happens! I was so grateful to my wonderful work colleagues though who just took over my work and sent me home (I got the call at 9am on a Monday morning) as I was in no shape to do anything!

I didn't make it to the post office yesterday - will pop over there in a few minutes. I also didn't make it to the gym as I had a cracking headache by the end of the day, but I did donate some blood this morning (to a research company near my work who are developing new blood tests and so need a fairly continuous supply of fresh blood) - I'm sure replenishing that must count as some form of exercise, right??

Meeting went well today. Still have a to do list as long as my arm, but (for once!) nothing has been added to it, so that's quite a major win :D Onwards and upwards!
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    So I'm still in a bit of a daze over this, but I've managed to apply for a mortgage and not get turned down!

After our mortgage broker said that we didn't have a chance of getting a mortgage until I'd been employed for 12 months (i.e. Feb 2019) I started looking into the mortgages a little more deeply and discovered that the lender offering the mortgage we were hoping to get wouldn't lend on houses of this structure. He had also suggested that when we re-look at mortgages we start with Halifax as they are the most lenient high street lender in terms of employment history, building structure and credit score requirements and also only do a soft credit check at the agreement in principle stage. Since the original lender was no longer an option I started looking into Halifax mortgages and discovered that they would lend to me with less than a year's employment and would lend on a house of this structure, so I popped in my details to get an agreement in principle. The online system was unable to process my application so I had to call them today and was told that the system had been unable to perform the credit check. She told me to call back later and speak to a mortgage adviser instead who possibly be able to tweak the details to make the credit check work, or alternatively, send it to the underwriters to look at. Long story short...... The mortgage adviser managed to get the credit check to run and we are partway through the process of applying for a mortgage :eek::eek::eek::eek: We have to speak to another mortgage adviser on Friday to decide on what mortgage we want (we already know, but I guess it's a formal requirement) and provide our payslips.

So yeah.... looks like we may be buying a house in the much nearer future than anticipated!!! I'm completely torn between insane levels of excitement and an inner monologue of swear words as I process what I've done :rotfl: Fingers crossed my signature will need updating soon as our savings get completely wiped out! How can the thought of "losing" savings that you've spent so many years accumulating be so exciting???
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Marvellous news. :beer::beer: It's a good job you did research and didn't believe the person. :j:j
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    Wow Pink how exciting !!! I am sure your gran would be really pleased that her gift to you would be put to such good use. Buying houses is a real rollercoaster ride so good luck and keep us updated.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    How exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing your journey progress :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure