PinknSparkly's Mortgage Wannabe savings dairy

Options

Comments

• pinknsparkly
    Options
    Thanks guys!! It still seems like a bit of a dream really, but so far I've not woken up yet..... :eek:

We had our telephone / video appointment on Friday evening (you can do the entire application that way, without actually needing to see a real person face-to-face) and are now waiting on the valuation. I must admit I felt like a geriatric when I was told that we could do the entire application online as I just assumed it would require us at least meeting someone from the bank in person :rotfl:

Hopefully, the valuation will be done by the mid-to-end of this week and we'll know if it's going to happen or not! I already have a list as long as my arm of things I want to do to the house with - ignoring the fact that we'll need some time to save up the money to pay for the work!

We had a lovely weekend with my family for my brother's 30th. Though the amount of food and booze consumed was less lovely for my weightloss plans. I lost 0.8kg in the two weeks to Friday so I'm planning on staying well clear of the scales for a week or so until the damage from this weekend is hopefully undone :D
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    You know what they say - be careful what you wish for :rotfl:. Exciting times ahead :)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Ha, Gally - it wasn't so much a "what we wished for" as much as a "I'll just have a look cos I'm nosey" swiftly followed by "ooooops, what have I done?" :rotfl: I love your signature by the way ("A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort") - I feel like some people who know me in real life may feel that way about me!!!

Valuation is booked for tomorrow, they're going to text me a one hour time slot this evening so I'll be a whirlwind of house cleaning and tidying this evening followed by working from home tomorrow. I still need to find a conveyancer / solicitor - I had a look online and there are just so many of them! I can't seem to find a simple website that has a good number of reviews from customers that have used them. But I'll see how tomorrow goes, after all - if they decide not to lend on our property (it has a flying freehold [one bedroom] and Halifax say that any flying freehold can only be "part" of the property without stipulating how much "part" is) then I won't need a conveyencer/solicitor anyway!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    ("A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort") - I feel like some people who know me in real life may feel that way about me!!!
    Yup, me too, when I was working. Which made it even easier to have a positive attitude :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    So we passed the valuation! :beer: Even with my cat following the valuer (is that what they're called?) round the house like a shadow trying to work out what he was up to :rotfl: They've valued the house at £20,000 more than I estimated it was worth (and I thought I was pushing it a bit with my estimate!).

However, they can't accept my husband's payslips as evidence as pay because apparently they say that he is paid by cheque on them - I don't think he's ever been given a cheque by ANYONE in the entire 10 years we've been together! But they're asking for a bank statement instead so we'll sort that when he gets home tonight.

My other fun has been attempting to find a solicitor to act on our behalf and it is amazingly hard to find lists of local solicitors with customer reviews. All I mostly managed to find was comparison sites that required you to give them you email and phone number. I'm prepared to ignore the spam emails but can't be bothered with all the phone calls. However, I've found a fairly local company who have good reviews and have fired an email off to them so I'll see what they say.

Once Halifax are happy with the evidence of my husband's pay, then I'll ring them up to pay the mortgage fee and get the ball rolling! I'm a little reluctant to stump up £1000 for them to then turn round and not give us the mortgage and have to go through the process of getting it refunded....
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Woop woop - Halifax have confirmed that our mortgage has been approved and we've appointed a solicitor. Though this process is starting to feel like all I'm doing is handing out hundreds of pounds per day for one reason or another!

Have to arrange to visit the solicitors one day next week with our identification documents (and have had to order a paper bank statement each as we don't get any paper documents from our banks or utilities anymore, does anyone?!) and then I guess it's all systems go! I've got the paperwork that needs to be completed in order for my husband to use his LifeTime ISA savings for the house purchase so will take that with me when I take the identification documentation to the solicitors (one form has to be filled out by him and one by them). I definitely feel like I'm winging this entire process with no idea what to do next (or even what to expect next!)
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Gah! Just lost a big update that I'd typed up and then wandered away to get some coffee. Came back to find it timed out....

Short version: took our ID and proof of address to our solicitors yesterday so hopefully things will start moving again. It's gone quiet on that front since the start of last week and I assume they're waiting for our proof of ID before doing anything else.

Also got a £50 refund for a train journey in Germany last month that arrived 4 hours late due to a train breakdown. The tickets were paid for by my company so it's basically free money, totally worth the 20 mins I spent filling in the documentation and the £3 to post it to Germany :D
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How wonderful about the house!!!! It's great that you managed to get money for the delay too. Yay, very MSE.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Poppycat1
    Options
    I found your diary and have caught up. You have done so well. I was told I could apply for a mortgage as soon as I started work. Just needed a letter from employer to state the work was permanent. In the end it took nearly a year to go though. That was because of other problems though.

Look forward to you starting your MFW/FIRE diary.
    Without overpayments: 15 years, 1 monthsBecause of overpayments: 10 years, 10 months left until paid off
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Thanks SW and Poppycat! I must admit, this process has really taught me just how impatient I am about situations that are out of my control (such as buying a house!). I've forced myself to wait until today before sending my solicitor an email asking for an update (I last heard from him on Friday): in an ideal situation, I'd want an update every day which might just drive him bonkers!!

And SW - I'm not sure you'd still be calling me MSE if you saw the list of things I want/need (the wants rather heavily outnumber the needs!) to do to the house when we own it! Though I'm justifying it using the logic that if I write down EVERYTHING we could possibly want to do to it, then we can work out what absolutely needs to be done, what our priorities are and then see if we can save time/money/mess by combining any of the tasks we need to outsource and get them done at the same time.

Poppycat, that's so frustrating about your mortgage issues, though I'm glad you got them resolved in the end!

I came across this flowchart (https://i.imgur.com/BfHzwr9.png) on the UK Personal Finance section of Reddit online last night, and thought I'd post it on here before I lose it again to the depths of the internet! Whilst I certainly don't think there's a one-size-fits-all when it comes to personal finance, it looks like a really solid starting point and (unusually I've found) also includes how to plan for early retirement.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback