🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PinknSparkly's Mortgage Wannabe savings dairy

Options

Comments

• pinknsparkly
    pinknsparkly Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks so much SW. It is going to be tough working on my thesis alongside working full-time but it was the right decision to make for me. I discussed with my supervisor the option of deferring my thesis submission by a month to ensure it was more complete with less work needing to be done on it, but I was in no fit mental state to spend another month on it, and wanted to submit it as-was and deal with the corrections as required :) And the relief I felt firstly from handing it in, and then after completing my viva was the reassurance I needed that I did the right thing! I finally feel like the clouds are lifting and my life is starting again. Plus I've started (slowly slowly) decreasing my antidepressants which I've been on for the last three years - something I wasn't sure I'd ever be in a state to do!
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gosh, take it easy. I'm never ever going off mine. What's your job like? is it in academia?

All is well here. I'm slowly steadily marking. Boring but essential so I can enjoy the weekend I hope.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Thanks SW. I'm also not sure I'll ever be able to come off them completely, particularly over winter time. My GP was next to useless and basically told me just cut my dose in half and "see how it goes". Errrrmmmmmm, I know exactly "how it goes", and it isn't pretty! So I've been reducing it by a few mg (I started on 40mg/day) and trying that for several weeks before reducing it by a few more mg. I once went cold turkey for almost two weeks when my GP and local chemists completely screwed up my repeat prescription (it went missing, none of the chemists had any record of it - they kept sending me to various other chemists to try, but my GP refused to write another one as they'd already issued one) and I have no plans to ever feel even remotely that bad ever again!!!

My job is a joint position over two organisations, one is a scientific research company and the other is a hospital. It's a really exciting role as I get to continue to do the clinical work that I love, but also continue with development work in my field :)

Are you on Easter holidays still? Hope you've managed to make the most of some of your time off (says me, currently in the office on a Saturday.....!)
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Indeedy I'm chilling and have had a great weekend at home. You remind me of one of my friends at university she did scientific research it was so exciting she was always discovering things in medicine. The best bit for me was she could eat subsidised food in the hospital canteen - it was yum!!!!
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Does anyone know how to reset your password on this site? I've not logged in for a while as I forgot my password and [STRIKE]couldn't be bothered[/STRIKE] didn't have time to reset it. I just reset it and the email said that using the temporary password would prompt the website to require me to reset it, but it didn't tell me to and I can't spot where it's hidden!

It's been a frustrating few weeks financially one way and another:

Firstly, I am still fighting with British Gas through the Ombudsman (this has been going on since October last year, and I have had to refer it back to the Ombudsman four times now and we still seem no closer to a solution) but British Gas have referred the debt to a second debt collection agency (presumably because the first one didn't collect the debt as it was still in dispute!).

Secondly, I switched from British Gas to Together Energy back in October last year and they STILL haven't managed to get my account set up correctly as a single rate electricity tariff (it's set up as a Economy 7 dual rate tariff instead). They keep pestering me for meter readings, and I keep emailing readings to them as they request them but as I email them a single meter reading, rather than the two meter reading their system is set up to expect from me, no one is putting them into the system!

Thirdly, my husband and I are going to America in two weeks time. Since booking our flights, his company have decided that they want him to stay out there for work afterwards (but won't pay for his outward flight as "we were going there anyway" which is pretty cheeky). I dutifully completed the online form the travel company required in order to change the flights (and add an extra hold luggage to the remaining flights) and waited the 30 days I was told. Then I got back in touch with them last week to be told that they'd done **** all about it, and would sort it that day. After multiple emails back and forth (each time being told I have to wait 48 hours for them to action it and get back to me, which they never did) they still haven't cancelled the flights OR added luggage. I swear, this is the last time I'm ever using that company!!! I thought I was being smart using a travel company given the number of flights we'll be taking, but clearly not.....

Sorry, just needed a bit of a rant :rotfl: Hope all of you guys are having better weeks!
  • savingwannabe
    edited 25 April 2018 at 7:44PM
    Options
    Hello I think to change your password you go to the first page of your thread and then to your first post. Click on your user name and click control panel and then edit password. I think that's it.

Good luck with flights it sounds like a nightmare - a v expensive one.

I would ring British Gas and read them your meter readings and see if anyone is kind enough to help.

Flippin heck I hope your week get's better.
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Sounds like a nightmarish time for you. You have my sympathy with the utility companies. I had a right carry on with npower when I first moved into my current flat and I had to go to the ombudsman to get it sorted. All the companies seem to be as bad as each other in that regard. I hope it's resolved soon!
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    So the Ombudsman finally issued a response, and said that I owed British Gas the money. We paid up (though still don't agree with it, but no longer have the mental capacity to fight it any further!), only to now find that British Gas have put two late payment markers on my credit file (one whilst the issue was still being investigated by the Ombudsman and one the second the Ombudsman ruled in their favour). I'm intending to go back to the Ombudsman this weekend and ask them to look at whether they think that is fair or not (though given how useless they have been up to now, I'm not holding my breath!!). I was pretty emotional about it as we want to buy a house in the next few months and I was panicking about what that will do to my credit rating but have now com to the conclusion that there's no point worrying about things I can't control. All I can do, is to try and sort it and if that doesn't work then we'll have to work with whatever situation we're left in!

We've also decided that we'd like to try to make a small human in the near future so we're tightening our belts a bit to try and figure out how little we can live on in practice for either going down to a single salary or paying huge childcare bills! In that light, I've set myself a challenge of using as much of our freezer food as possible, supplemented by (at most) £1 worth of food bought from supermarkets on the way home. All lunches will be either leftovers or make at home (no more popping to Tesco to pick something up!). Then I intend to refill the freezer with stuff from Iceland (we've got a couple of old "Love2Shop" gift cards that can be used there!) and continue with the "all foods must be cooked/made at home" theme wherever possible.

In more positive news - I got a PhD travel claim reimbursement from almost a year ago finally paid out and that's pushed our savings up to a 15% house deposit!!!! I'm not sure whether we'll use the full 15% deposit, or put down a 10% and use the extra 5% towards baby costs/time off work costs but either way, I'm super stoked to even have that as an option!!
  • savingwannabe
    Options
    Sorry about the British Gas bill. At least you did fight it I wouldn't even have known where to start.

Gosh good luck to your family planning. It's lovely and something to look forward to. Congrats on the Phd finance reimbursement and on the money saving on the food and using up the freezer food. Keep up the good work and enjoy the lovely weather.:j
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    Hi Savingwannabe! To be completely honest, I would really rather not fight it and if it were only about money then I wouldn't be (I had actually decided to give up fighting and trying to get BG to sort out their mess when I got the letter saying they'd sold my account to a debt collection agency in order to avoid having to deal with me!). However, since it is now on my credit file, I feel I have to at least try and get it removed... Otherwise, if that fails, I'll get a note put on my file to explain it. But I'd much rather it was removed entirely :)

Hope you have some nice plans for the gorgeous weather this weekend. Our main plan is taking our cat to the vet. I think I might be rather scratched up by Sunday!! :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure