PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying A Home Or Private Renting? Which Is The Best Option?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 May 2017 at 4:29PM
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    1. No it isn't.
    2. Most people can.
    3. Clearly you can't.
    4. A minute is plenty of time to pee!

You could even have got off at a station and on to the next train having peed. Your ticket would have allowed it.

If the staff stressed you out so much by saying they would dispose of your luggage after 6, why did you wander around the city before getting a train home? You could have got one at any time.

You could choose to live a less stressed life by making choices that work better for you.

No most people can't use the toilet while the train is moving.
    I can't.

Yes I wanted to get off at the next station to use the toilet. And of course I would have taken my bags off the train with me and got on the next train.

But it was a first class single to London. So I don't know if my ticket would have allowed me to break my journey, by getting off at say, Cruwe or Milton Keens.

If I had had done that, I might have had to buy another ticket to London.
    But I would have done that if I had to.

I know that with a 1 day travel card that you buy in London , Liverpool and most cities and towns, you can break your journey. And go all around the area where your travel card permits.

But I don't know if you can do that with a single from Manchester to London Euston.

Also if I had got off at one of the stations on the way, they might not have had toilets. A lot of the smaller stations don't. Or they close the toilets early.

Manchester Piccadilly, and London Euston are main line stations so the toilets stay open until the station closes.

But at the smaller station they don't.

If they had said after 11pm I would understand.
    But after 6pm is not leaving your baggage overnight.
    And as I checked out at 12noon, it's not even a full day.

If I had could have left my bags at Manchester Piccadilly Station left luggage it would not have been a problem.
    Because there you can leave your bags there for as long as you want as long as you pay for the time.

But if I had done that I might not have got my bags back if they had closed the left luggage suddenly because of the security threats.
    So I did not do it.

But if everything had been normal (no bomb scares) then I would have done.

But I did not want to take the chance that I might not have got my bags back if anything had happened which it did do as we know.
    There is still trouble there in Manchester.
    Mojisola wrote: »
    It used to be that you were only allowed to use the toilet while it was moving - the waste went straight out onto the tracks and it wasn't nice if it was deposited by the platforms. :(
    Yes there used to be signs on the door saying that but nobody stopped you from using it.
    And they don't stop you now.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    You could have asked a member of staff about the toilets.

You could have opted not to leave your bags anywhere and just go home.

These are examples of choices you could have made to make your life less stressful.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    No most people can't use the toilet while the train is moving.

I can honestly say I've never met a person who cannot use the toilet whilst it is moving. Plenty that would prefer not to, but no one that physically cannot.

What do you think people do on long distance journeys? In many countries that can be 7+ hours. Lots of puddles? ;)
  • LadyGMadameToThee
    Options
    Some of you are being very patronising and flippant towards this woman. It's clear she has many MH issues and has already conceded to being Autistic and having Asperger. Please show some patience and compassion.
    :DLady G:eek::mad::rotfl:

Life is too short to be serious all of the time. So, if you can't laugh at yourself, call me - and I'll laugh at you!:money::money:
  • ViolaLass
    Options
    Some of you are being very patronising and flippant towards this woman. It's clear she has many MH issues and has already conceded to being Autistic and having Asperger. Please show some patience and compassion.

One can be patient and compassionate while still pointing out others' mistakes in the hope that they will reflect and learn.

Or are we not allowed to post anything but sympathy and "Gosh, poor you" remarks?
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options

Annbarb isn't a child, I doubt she wants any special treatment on the forum.
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i know it sound funny but have train noise cd or bring the lap top into the toilet and put on a train youtube video and see if you can go.. or even better, start to do a wee and then play the youtube clip and see if you stop?
    just an idea.. might help.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 May 2017 at 1:25PM
    Options
    Look I can't pee on a moving train and neither can most people I spoke to.

The staff can't help with that.

The only thing they can do is make trains where you don't feel the movements. Or that don't move while moving.
    Like it is on a plane.

But those have not been invented yet.

If I do go to Liverpool or Manchester again I am going to go to Birmingham first. To break my journey.

That is buy a ticket to Birmingham.
    Get off the train there and use the toilet in the station.

Then book again, that is buy another ticket to Manchester.
    Which is only an hour from there.
    Then I won't get caught with the toilet again.

What do you think I do if I was going to Kent or Brighton for example?
    Or when I go to London from Essex?

I get off at Liverpool street station from Essex.
    Go to the loo.

Then back on the Underground to Victoria station.

Then go to the loo there.
    Then get the train to Kent or Sussex which is only about 45 minutes to 1 hour from Victoria.

I won't keep it up for 2 hours.

Well when I go to London from Essex they don't have toilets in most underground stations anyway.

So you have to get off at Liverpool street or a main line station to use the toilets anyway.
    Which I do before I get my train to Bond Street and when I go home from there.

So I can do the same thing when I go to Manchester.

Buy a ticket half way to Birmingham.

Get off the train.

Go to the toilet then book again to Manchester.
    That's what I will do in future.

Because I cannot pee on the train.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    They wanted you gone from that hotel,

They understood that you need clear instructions and a deadline you would take notice off.
  • ViolaLass
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    Look I can't pee on a moving train and neither can most people I spoke to.

The staff can't help with that.

Except, if you had asked them, they could have told you that you could get off at a station, pee and get back on a train, with the same ticket.

Whether or not lots of people can pee on a train is not the point. annbarbs, life doesn't have to be as complicated as you make it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure