PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying A Home Or Private Renting? Which Is The Best Option?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think a move would be all right if it was a move through the HA or I bought a place.
    In the right area.

But Manchester and Liverpool is clearly not, so I should forget about moving here.

If I am going to buy a place my preferred option would be in one of the Essex towns that I already know because I know the area.
    So it would at least be familiar to me and the health trust is likely to be similar to my areas's.

But unfortunately homes there as in all of the South are much more money than what I have got.
    So I won't be able to find anything for the price I want.
    Unless I buy a park home.

I found out about park homes while I was in Southport. And I saw some to buy as little as 20k. Which would leave me with plenty of my inheritace left over.

But I read up about park homes and I read you don't have the same rights in a park home as you do in a bought flat or house.
    Yes you own your home but not the ground or land on it.

And often the site owner does not maintain the freehold such as the gas and water supply and other things.
    And if you want to sell your park home you have to give the site owner so much per cent of the house sale.

See this post here I found which explains this which I read:
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2003/apr/27/property.homebuying

So getting a park home is not a good option for me.
    I would be better off buying a house or a flat where I would own the freehold.
    But that is not possible in the South of England where I live.

But even if I do find a place to buy why would I want to move and spend most of my inheritace on buying it?
    When I don't have any problems in my HA or where I am living?

Yes I have to pay £603 a month rent.
    But my benefits I still get are paying for that anyway.
    So I am not using much of my inheritace.

And if I moved up North I know I will still have to pay around £500 a month because I am unlikely to get a decent place for under that.
    So there is no pint in moving because whether I pay £400 per month or £603 I still have to pay the rent.
    So my inheritace is not going to last any longer if I moved up here.

So why don't I just save my money and stay where I am in my HA flat?

Then I will have savings as I won't be spending it on buying a home or on deposits to private landlord's or letting agents.

So my inheritace will last for at least 10 years if I look after it.

Then when it runs out I can apply for and claim HB again and my full ESA will be reinstated and so will my Council Tax Benefit.

And I will still have my secure home I have now with my HA.

And I should stop wasting money at hotels in the North. I have wasted my time and my money coming here because it was all for nothing.

If I want to go on holidays I should just do it occasionally and go for short breaks of 2 or 3 days.
    Not stay here for 3 weeks.

I did not have to stay here that long, I could have just stayed for a few days then gone back home.

Then it would not have cost me so much money.

But I did not do that, and these 3 weeks here in Premir Inns have cost me 2k. Which I could have left in the bank or spent on something useful.
    Lesson learned.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    So you'll be going home tomorrow?
  • System
    Options
    No not yet.
    I am here for a few more days.

Since I have paid for this holiday I might as well make the most of it and get up and go out of more.

I have been here for nearly 3 weeks and I have spent most of my time in bed because I can't get up in the mornings.

Then when I get up it's 1 or 2 in the afternoon but I don't get out of my hotel until about 4 in the afternoon or 6 in the evening.

Because it takes me a long time to get ready and I sit in my room for hours thinking.
    So by the time I get out it is too late to do very much.

Which is a shame as I have paid to stay up here for 3 weeks but I have not got the most out of it.
    Because I go out so late. Which is a dead loss but it's my fault because I cannot get off my butt and outside the door each morning.

Okay I don't want to move up here so Liverpool and Manchester is just a holiday for me.

Fair enough. But most people when they go away to visit a place, they go to bed early.

They get up in the morning, they have breakfast, then go out.
    But I don't because I go to bed late as I sit in my hotel room on the computer or thinking about things.

So I am too tired to get up in the mornings then get up late in the afternoon when the shops are closing and it's too late to do very much.

I did go out today at 7 oclock in the evening and went to Bury on the tram and had something to eat in a Weatherpersons Pub.

Bury is a nice district in Greater Manchester in the suburbs so it is nicer than central Manchester.

Inner Manchester is like central London but the outer Manchester area are what they call Greater Manchester like there is Greater London.
    Which there are districts such as Bury Radcliffe and Oldham that are I suppose like going to Croydon or Wimbledon in London.

So they are different and more friendly than Central and Inner Manchester because they are in the suburbs and better areas.

Well I liked Bury better I am thinking it's a pity that I did not get up and go out earlier during my stay here. Because if I had I would have had a better time because. I would have seen more of the Cities and got to do things like go shopping and maybe buy myself some clothes or things to take back home with me.

But I didn't because I have not been able to get up in the mornings or get out of my hotel in time to do very much.

If I would get up in the mornings and go out like normal people do I would have got more out of my stay here.

I mean what was the point in my paying for this trip and to stay in a hotel if I did not want to go out much?

I might as well have stayed at home and saved myself all that money.

I have been here for 3 weeks and I have got a few more days to go before I go home.

So why don't I make the most of my trip and get up tomorrow morning and go out and see some of Manchester?

I have decided that Moving to Liverpool to live is not right for me and neither is living in Manchester. And I think I have made the right decision to stay in my area in Essex with my HA.

But as I am here on holiday why don't I make the most of the time I have here and get out tomorrow?
    There are plenty of places to go here during the day and many districts to see.
    I can get a one day travel card and go all round the city on the trams just like you canon the trains in London.

Oh and we don't have trams in London. Just trains buses and the underground. But I expect you know that.
    So the tram is something I have never been on before as we don't get to do that in London. Because we don't have trams in London.
    So it's a new experience for me.

Yes I am staying in my HA flat.

But next time I go on a trip I don't have to stay for 3 weeks.
    Just for a few days then it won't cost me so much money.

But then if I knew I wanted to stay for 3 weeks I could have got a cheaper room at one of the tourist hostels here for £40 a night instead of paying what I have just paid at the premir Inn.
    And saved myself a lot of money.
    By going to a hostel and there are some I know in Liverpool and Manchester where I used to stay in before I had my inheritace.
    And they are not that bad.
    They are quite comfortable for what you pay for.

And you can also buy food and cook there so that would have saved me money there as well. And they are much more relaxed than the bed and breakfast so you can choose not to have the cleaners in your room.
    And you don't have a landlady that interferes with you as you do in a bed and breakfast hotel.

A hotel is only a place to sleep so does it matter if the room has only got a shower? I can always have a bath when I get back home to my flat.
    And you don't go on holiday to stay in your room all day.
    You go on holiday to go out and do things.
    Not stay in bed or in your room all day.
    Just saying.
  • altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    annbarbs, you've just quoted my post and reeled off all the stuff we've talked about for months in our messages.

I know you've got a brilliant GP as I helped you chose them :rotfl:

You are obviously not coming home until Tuesday, and I'm not going to try anymore to get you back here until then. So when you get back send me a message so I know you are home.

Just for now, take a breather as you're getting yourself into the situation of keep repeating over and over. Slow it down and cut it short. You're chatting too much as per usual and repeating,

Enjoy your last couple of days xx
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Given the horrible events in Manchester, please let us know you're safe and on your way home annbarbs.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Given the horrible events in Manchester, please let us know you're safe and on your way home annbarbs.

I very much doubt she was at the Ariana Grande concert.

I hope she feels very ashamed of the things she's said about Manchester and its people over the last few days. Troll or not.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options

No, but in the mess up there she might feel even more confused and lost. Here's hoping she left.
  • altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The plan was a taxi to the station with all her baggage. Not sure on situation of taxis during morning hours. If train missed she'd get a later one.

I'm ringing her and I think she's home but just not answering me as she knows she'll get her ears chewed over this escapade.

Very sorry if her autism has been too much for some of you but on a light note she likes to be exact in Her missives.

A message to the person saying AB is a troll, no she isn't a troll just very intricate mental health problems including Autism, look it up if you want to know the difference between Troll and Autism, very interesting read.

Thank you for taking time out to read my post, if you have :T. If not, you're loss.
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • System
    edited 24 May 2017 at 1:29AM
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »

I hope she feels very ashamed of the things she's said about Manchester and its people over the last few days.

Yes I did hear about the bomb in Manchester. I found out yesterday from a woman in Manchester Piccadilly Station. Who said she could not get home because a bomb went off at the Arena near Manchester Victoria and all trains from Victoria were cancelled.

But I missed it because I went back to my hotel at 8 $PM and fell asleep on my bed. And I only went out again at 11pm to get some fresh air. So I went for a walk and that's when I found out what had happened.

But NO I don't go to concerts and I was NOT at the arena.
    I hate concerts.

But I was talking to a woman sitting next tome in the hotel dining room at breakfast. Who said she was taking her kids to the concert in the evening.

When I heard the news from the people I met in the station and came home and saw it on You Tube.
    I was thinking about that woman.
    I hope she escaped and got out of there.
    But I don't know because she checked out the hotel that morning before the concert.
    So I never saw her again as she's left the hotel.
    I just hope she is all right.
    'ViolaLass wrote:
    'No, but in the mess up there she might feel even more confused and lost. Here's hoping she left.
    Yes I am very worried about it.
    I went out tonight and a lot of the restaurants in the city center have closed down early because they said there was another bomb scare in the Arndale Center. So it seems to be getting worse up here.

And it's stressing me out because I am leaving here on Thursday to go back to London and have to go from Manchester Piccadilly.

So I am worried that they might close the station, then I won't be abler to get back to London.
    And my hotel does not have any more rooms after Thursday.
    So If they stop the trains on Thursday I am stuffed.

altojack wrote: »
    The plan was a taxi to the station with all her baggage. Not sure on situation of taxis during morning hours. If train missed she'd get a later one.

Yes that's what I normally do. Check out of my hotel then get a taxi to thre station, then I leave my bags in left luggage they have in the station. So I can go into the city and get something and do what I need to do before I get on my train.

But I am worried they might close the left luggage or that I might leave my bags at left luggage then if there is another bomb scare. They will make us all leave the station and I won't be able to get my bags out of left luggage. They will be stuck there and I cannot go back to London without my bags. Or they might stop the trains and I won't be abler to get back home at all.

It's freaking me out because if that happens where am I gonna stay Thursday night if the hotels in Manchester are full and I cannot get home because there is no trains?

It seems like this trip is causing me more trouble than it's worth.
    I am starting to wish I had never come here to Manchester. If I had known this was going to happen I would have gone straight home from Liverpool.
    I wish I had done now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport