PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying A Home Or Private Renting? Which Is The Best Option?

Options

Comments

• altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    annbarbs, contact the station in the morning. If trains are running get a train as soon as you can. You do not have to stay until Thursday. It doesn't matter that you've paid you don't have to stay.

Ask reception desk if they can contact station for you and book your seat, get back here, home as soon as you can.

I told you not to go as Liverpool wasn't for you, Manchester is no better. These places aren't what you think they are. As for going out at that time of night was utterly ridiculous, you don't know who may have been around, so unsafe for a woman on her own.

There are several trains tomorrow, it doesn't matter if you get a late afternoon or early evening one, just get on that train and come home pronto.

I've had to keep leaving you messages as have been trying to get in touch with you as there were things I needed to let you know that I can jot say on open forum.
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    altojack wrote: »

I told you not to go as Liverpool wasn't for you, Manchester is no better. These places aren't what you think they are.

I've had to keep leaving you messages as have been trying to get in touch with you as there were things I needed to let you know that I can jot say on open forum.

No Liverpool is not the right place for me and neither is Manchester.
    It took me 3 weeks to find that out.

Manchester is worse than London. Well after being here in Manchester I know realize that London is not so bad.

But Manchester is the pits.
    It's no man's land.

And private rents in Manchester are all £800 a month and upwards for a 1 bedroom flat. So there is no way I would get a private flat for less than that, even if I wanted to live in Manchester, which I don't.

I am better off staying where I am in the area I live in Essex and in my HA flat.
    But now because of all of this going on in Manchester.

Not only do I have to cope with the stress of being in a hotel.Now I have the big worry that I might not be able to get back to London because they may close the stations or stop the trains here.

And if they do there is also the worry that I might not be able to get a hotel if that happens. And could end up spending the night on the street, because I can't get a hotel.

That's a worry for me.

Most of the hotels here get full up very quickly and you have to book at least a day or 2 in advance. And even then you can't always get one in the area you want.

That's why I ended up in Birkenhead then another hotel in Liverpool after that because most of them are either full up or when you do get a room they cannot extend your stay for any longer.

So if you just turn up at a hotel without booking you won't get one.

The Premir Inn where I am staying has a luggage room where I can store my bags so I can do that when I check out on Thursday.

The hotel staff told me I must check out of my room by 12noon on Thursday. And they cannot extend my stay any more days as they are fully booked. So I have to leave here on Thursday,

But if the have another bomb scare and they close the station I don't know what I am going to do.

Because I won't be be to get home to London. And I might not be able to get another hotel, if I am stuck here in Manchester for God knows how long, if that happens.

When I check out of my hotel on Thursday I won't leave my bags in the left luggage at the station. In case they do close it then I won't be able to get my bags back.

So if I am not getting the train right away after check out. I think it would be safer to leave my bags in the hotel luggage room and then the hotel staff will give them back to me when I want them. And they will also call a taxi for me to the station.
    Then I can go directly onto the train.

That's what I did at the Liverpool Premir Inn. All Premir Inn's have a luggage room for guests when you check out. It's free they don't charge you any money. And they tag your bags and give you a ticket and only the staff go in there so it's secure.

So that's what I am going to do.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The simplest & best way to not have to worry about what happens Thursday and later is to go home today(Wed).

Your job is done up there.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    You said you were going home on Tuesday, why haven't you gone?

Just go home. Stop wasting money and time and Go Home.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 24 May 2017 at 12:47PM
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »

But Manchester is the pits.
    It's no man's land.

I sincerely hope you don't say anything like this in person to anybody in Manchester.

Just leave. Go home.
  • System
    Options
    The simplest & best way to not have to worry about what happens Thursday and later is to go home today(Wed).

Your job is done up there.
    Yeah. And I am done with Manchester and Liverpool.

I won't be moving up here.

I am better off in my HA flat and in Essex.

It took me 3 weeks to find that out.

Pity I did not find out before I spent 2k on hotels up here.

But what's done is done.

Can't turn the clock back now.

The important thing is getting myself home.
  • altojack
    altojack Posts: 9,734 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    annbarbs. If you had taken the time to read my post you could have been home by now. This is just so stupid extending your stay when you need to come home.

I told you the other day that I couldn't come and get you , I can't drive that distance because of the problems with my knee.

I won't be home tomorrow, so when you get back you'll be on your own.
    There's no place like home :)

Feeling down? Weak in body? Makes no difference to me, I think of you all when I'm sitting quietly.

Hugs and healing thoughts are always going your way.
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    manchester is a lovely city with great community, as has been proved in the last few days. but clearly not for you so go home. stop extending your trip.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • System
    edited 25 May 2017 at 1:45AM
    Options
    I am checking out of my hotel tomorrow, Thursday.

The staff want me out of my room by 12 noon that's the check out time here.

When I check out I normally then go for a walk around the city center, get something to eat and look at the shops before getting my train home to London.

But I am not going to put my bags in the left luggage at the station.

Because say there is another bomb threat or scare, at Manchester Piccadilly Station, they might close the left luggage and I won't be able to get my bags back.

And the luggage room at the station might be closed anyway due to the threats.

So I am going to leave my bags in the in the luggage room at my hotel instead.

The Premir Inn has a luggage room that you can leave your bags in for free.
    And it is safe there as only the staff can go in there.

And the reception staff are there all the time so when I am ready for my train.
    I can get my bags from there and the hotel will call me a taxi to the station they said.

I am not going to risk leaving my luggage at the station left luggage in case they close it.
    The hotel staff also advise me not to in case they close the station or the luggage room if there is another bomb scare.

So that problem is solved.

Now getting back to the subject.

If I leave my HA for a private rented I am taking a big risk because there is always the possibility that the landlord or letting agent could evict me either for something or for nothing. So I could find my self homeless.

As we know my inheritace is not going to last me a liftime so when it does run out in the years to come.

If I were to be evicted by a private landlord I most likely would end up back at the council and homless again.

Because I won't be able to put down deposits or afford the rents for a private let.

Also many of the private rents are not cover by Housing Benefit because they are above the Local Housing Allowance.
    So I could find myself paying a huge shortfull that I cannot afford when my inheritace runs out.

And if I get a 2 bedroom private flat, I would have to move anyway when my money runs out. Because Housing Benefit won't pay the the full rent or LHA rate for a 2 bed because I am a sinle person.
    So HB will only pay for 1 a 1 bedroom flat not 2 bedrooms.

Buying a place would be a safer option because it would be my own home so I can never be evicted and I would not have to pay rent. So I would never have to claim HB again.

But the only option for that is up North because I won't get a flat or a house for 50k anywhere in the South.

But that would eat up most of my inheritace and there are also additional solicitors fees if you buy property. So the final cost would be more than 50k as it's not only the cost of the home.

The problem is also that I am restricted to what I can buy because I don't have enough capital. 109k is not nothing but it's not really enough to buy a decent property that does not need a lot of work doing as members have told me.

As I have said buying a place will eat up most of my inheritace which is not what I want. Because I want my money to last as long as I can as having that money makes me feel more secure.

But I cannot have my cake and eat it.

I cannot have a bought home and have all of my inheritace as I will have to use up most of my capital to purchase a property.
    And if I rent a place I know the rent is not going to be much cheaper than what I pay now with my HA.
    It's not worth moving up here if the rent is only going to be £150 a month cheaper than my rent in my flat.

So I am better off where I am in my with my HA in my area.

And I won't find any private rented flat in Manchester for under £800 per Calendar month.

Yes I could move to Liverpool or Manchester through a home Exchange with the HA.
    Where rent is more likely to be cheaper than private rented.

But what's the point if I don't want to move here?

I have found out for myself that Liverpool is not the right place for me and neither is Manchester.
    So it's no good me moving up here through the HA because I don't want to come here.
    And even if I did want to and I got a HA Home swap up here, I would have the same problems as what I have found for the past 3 weeks of being here.

The people here are not so friendly as in the South and it is rough and dangerous here.

And I might not get any CMHT Support here either.
    Both my EX- CMHT social worker and my last social worker told me that they know plenty of people who have moved up here and have not got the help from the CMHT's or Health Trusts here.
    So I might not either.

As I have found out Liverpool is not the right place for me and certainly not Manchester.

And why do I need to buy a place which would use up most of my inheritace when I don;'t have any problems where I am?

I think I should stay where I am in my HA, yes I have to pay rent. But I have got my inheritace and I will have it for a long time because it won't be spent on buying a property.

So there is the answer.

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    You've said all of this before and it still isn't the point.

Don't go for a walk or a look at the shops, just go to the train station and go home.

Stop delaying. Go home.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport