PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying A Home Or Private Renting? Which Is The Best Option?

Options

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    I am checking out of my hotel tomorrow, Thursday.

The staff want me out of my room by 12 noon that's the check out time here.

You've already said that you find it difficult to get up and about in the morning - that's why you couldn't get to the letting agents.

Don't wait until tomorrow morning - go home today.

It doesn't matter that you've paid for one night that you won't be using.

What's important is making arrangements that suit you instead of feeling pressured to get up and out of the room tomorrow.
  • Gigervamp
    Gigervamp Posts: 6,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mojisola, it's today! I hope Annbarbs is up and ready to leave/has already left.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Gigervamp wrote: »
    Mojisola, it's today! I hope Annbarbs is up and ready to leave/has already left.

Me too, i'm getting a tad concerned now! :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well I am back home in my flat in Essex.

I got my train on Thursday 2 days ago but it was a nightmare journey.

The Premir Inn Hotel that I was staying in Manchester (which is one of many up there) let me leave my bags in their luggage room. That they have for their customers who are checking out or who arrive early before their room is ready.
    All Premir Inns have luggage rooms.

But they said if I am not back by 6 o'clock to pick up my bags they will dispose of them. As they don't allow customers to leave their bags there overnight.

Which stressed me out further and I think is out of order.

All right, I can understand them saying that they don't want people to leave their bags in their luggage room overnight.

But I 6 o'clock in the evening is not overnight and I checked out of my room at 12 noon which was their check out time.
    So it was not even a full day.
    So I think they were being unreasonable saying I must pick my up before 6pm or they will disposes of them.

And when I told other people in the restaurant in another hotel where I had my lunch. They said the hotel might be saying that to frighten me so I will be back before 6.

But I don't think so and I was not taking any chances so I made sure I got back there before 6 which I did.

I normally just check out of the hotel, get a taxi to Manchester Piccadilly Station and put my bags in the left luggage there.
    And you can leave your bags in left luggage in that station for several days if you want as long as you pay for it.

But because of the security threats I didn't because say they had closed the left luggage, then I would not have got my bags back.
    And I couldn't go back to London without my luggage.

That's why I left it in the hotel reception instead. So I could go and get something to eat before getting my train home.

After I had lunch I walked around the shops at the Arndale Center.
    Then walked back to the Premir Innand to collect my bags at 4 o'clock well in time before the 6 o'clock deadline.
    They gave me my bags back and called me a taxi to the station.

At the station I bought a first class ticket. Because the second class carriages get very crowded and I might not have got a seat. So I bought a first class ticket which was an open single so I could get on any train and sit on any seat in first class as long as there are unreserved.

I then put my bags on a trolley and went up to the first class lounge at the station as it was only 5pm and I was going to try to get the 6.55 or the 7.75pm train to London. As the train is less crowded at that time.

I had some tea in there to pass the time and they also have a toilets in there. So I used the toilet in there to avoid having to drag my bags through the barrier as you have to in the public ones downstairs because the staff never open the gates for you.

Then I went for my train but I did not get the 6.55 one because all of the seats in first class were either full up or reserved.
    So I had to get on the 7.15 one which was almost empty. Well it was in first class anyway.

So I made it and the train took off for London but the journey as I said was a nightmare.

Because I desperately wanted to go to the toilet pass urine but I couldn't because the train was moving.

Did you know that you cannot pee or pass water in the toilets on the train because of the movement of the train.
    So it is impossible.

I did go to the loo just before I got on the train but it is a 2 and a half hour journey so of course I wanted to go.
    But I couldn't.

I made several trips to that toilet but the train was rocking and moving about so much I just could not go.

Have you any idea what it's like to be dying to pee but not being able to?
    I pushed and strained several times on that toilet but nothing came out I just could not go because the train was rocking and moving about so much.

So I was in agony al the way back to London on that train because my bladder was bursting. But I could not pee because of the movement of the train.
    It was pure hell.

And when the train did get to London Euston I grabbed a trolley put my bags on it. And literally ran down the platform. Trolley in hand pushing it all the way to the toilets on platform 18.
    I couldn't get inside that toilet quick enough.

I ran inside the toilet shut the door and went.
    I peed.
    Relief at last.
    After that experience I vowed never again!

Well now I am back in my flat and I feel much better.
    And as you can guess I did not have a good time up North at all.
    All I did was spend my money-over 2k on hotels and it was all for nothing.

And it was hard on me psychically as well as stressing me out mentally.
    I had never felt so exhausted in my whole life.
    I was tried the whole time I was in Liverpool and Manchester.
    And having to changed hotels the whole time caused me a lot of stress.
    As well as the attitude of some of the staff and people up there.
    I am glad to be home again.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    It's not a universal fact that humans cannot pee on a moving train.

Did it never stop at a station?
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I seriously don't think "up North" is the issue here, but am glad you're home safe and sound.Now please don't waste your money on any more wild goose chases x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    How did you manage to run with a luggage trolley through those little gates where you pay your 20p to use the toilets?

Some people who will know what it's like to need to pee but have to hold it are the emergency services and hospital and police workers who dealt with the terrorist attack and its repercussions here earlier in the week.

After a 2 hour train journey, I bet you can really feel their pain.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 May 2017 at 2:37PM
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »

Did it never stop at a station?

Yes it is and most people can't and I can't.
    Yes it stopped at stations but only for 1 minutes. Hardly enough time to do anything.
    candygirl wrote: »
    I seriously don't think "up North" is the issue here, but am glad you're home safe and sound.Now please don't waste your money on any more wild goose chases x

No up North is not the only issue here. It is my mental health issues such as my OCD and my anxiety that is the problem as well.

And the attitude of some of the hotel staff and the people I met did not help. And neither did the stress they put on me, such as -"Check out by 12pm"-"If your not back for your luggage by 6pm we will dispose of it" caused me further stress.

Also I don't know enough about Liverpool or my way round it very well. Which also makes it more difficult to get around the city and the surrounding areas there.

And yes it was a waste of money.

It cost me £2,500 for 3 weeks there.

That's £280 for the few days at Southport Premir Inn,£195 for Manchester Portland street Premir Inn, £300 for 4 days at the Birkenhead Premir Inn, £659 for the Liverpool Albert Docks Premir Inn, and another £360 for my stay at Manchester Portland Street one and another £250 for my extension of 3 more days there.

That's 2k gone from my savings.

I cannot keep on doing that because that will eat up more of my inheritace and it's money wasted. And it is a waste of time because nothing came of it.
    I never got what I came for.

Yes I can go on holiday but not for 3 weeks.
    3 days would have been enough.

And if I ever do go on holiday up there again.

I am going to go a different roue such as to Birmingham first. Which is only an hour and a half from London on the train.Than I can use the toilets there, then book again to buy another ticket to Manchester or Liverpool. Which takes only an hour from Birmingham.
    That way I won't get caught with the toilet.
    I cannot hold it for 2 and a half to 3 hours.
    I don't know how I survived it.
    It was HELL!

How did you manage to run with a luggage trolley through those little gates where you pay your 20p to use the toilets?

The trolley has wheels so I pushed it along while running.
    And those toilets with the 20p gates are closed at Euston because they are doing work on them. So they have the mobile toilets on platform 18 that don't have the gates. Which everybody uses at the moment.
    Everyone who comes to the station that is.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    annbarbs wrote: »
    Yes it is and most people can't and I can't.
    Yes it stopped at stations but only for 1 minutes. Hardly enough time to do anything.

1. No it isn't.
    2. Most people can.
    3. Clearly you can't.
    4. A minute is plenty of time to pee!

You could even have got off at a station and on to the next train having peed. Your ticket would have allowed it.

If the staff stressed you out so much by saying they would dispose of your luggage after 6, why did you wander around the city before getting a train home? You could have got one at any time.

You could choose to live a less stressed life by making choices that work better for you.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »

It used to be that you were only allowed to use the toilet while it was moving - the waste went straight out onto the tracks and it wasn't nice if it was deposited by the platforms. :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure