When things hit rock bottom the only answer is to fight the way back up...

Options

Comments

• Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you really should talk to the benefits agency right away. As I understand it you will be employed in September/October? and will then be receiving a wage but at the moment you are not in receipt of any money. You must be entitled to various things right now and when you start receiving money from employment it will then be stopped/ adjusted. But that's a few months away. I'm sure you should be receiving help now, I'm sure someone will be able to advise you. Have you not been able to get an appointment with CAB. If not I would phone them and say you you really need some urgent advice.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Options
    No CAB had no appointments only the drop in but last time I waited over 3 hours and didn't get chance to be seen so I don't want to take all 3 kids to the drop in session for it to be the same again.

Will have to have a look around if there's somewhere similar local
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Well, I can absolutely understand why you don't want to to that. Is there any point in phoning your local place (don't even know what the're called now or even how local it would be - they don't make it easy do they?) to see if they could help. Could you google to see if there is any other organisation in your area? I found this https://www.turn2us.org.uk It might give you some advice. It just doesn't seem right to me that you're not getting any help.
  • UncannyScot
    UncannyScot Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's a real shame you cannot get an appointment with your local CAB and have to use a "drop in" to see if you can get help... do they have no appointment system at all?
    It just shows how busy they are these days I suppose. Please, don't give up on the CAB though, keep trying
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Yeah there is appointments but only on 2 afternoons a week. So you can imagine how booked up they are. It looks like my local council actually run an advice service too, the housing association one I went too wasn't brilliant at helping other than focusing on sorting my arrears with them. I'll call the council one along with another I've seen on google tomorrow.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    That seems like a good plan. I'm sure you're entitled to more help than you;re getting currently.
  • Doobop
    Doobop Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a quick reply - because of my job I know you CAN claim until you're working. You can be totally honest and tell them it's just until your job starts, it makes no difference. Ask at the job centre or council, tell them the ages of your children and ask if you should claim universal credit or income support or something else but honestly you can and should claim.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    Doobop wrote: »
    Just a quick reply - because of my job I know you CAN claim until you're working. You can be totally honest and tell them it's just until your job starts, it makes no difference. Ask at the job centre or council, tell them the ages of your children and ask if you should claim universal credit or income support or something else but honestly you can and should claim.

Maybe this is where I'm going wrong.

I'm not in a universal credit area BUT I rang to ask about JSA (assuming this is what I need to claim?) but I wouldn't actively be looking for a job because I have one already :o

I will speak to someone tomorrow thank you.

I have claimed income support before but I had a child under 1 when I did. It then switched to ESA while I was unwell then obviously had a partner again and no benefits.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Options
    So I'm up with a toddler that fell out of bed and is sporting a huge bump on her head :o

Going to run through budgets and meal plans while said toddler has taken over netfl!x and is watching a cartoon.
  • Doobop
    Doobop Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ok so if your youngest child is under 5 or if you get carers allowance you can claim income support. If not try job seekers. Don't be put off that you already have a job offer, that makes you a dream customer, you have already done the hard work. They will talk you through obligations until you start but worth it. Claim today - it's hard to backdate. You claim income support via a free phone number, jsa online. Go on gov.uk and type in income support or jsa and the number/ form is there x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure