MSE Newborn to 1 year Club

Options

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Yeah, the last of Mia's molars cut through last month. They were already ahead of schedule, so I was hoping for a month or two break, but nope, I can see and feel those canines coming through, and sure enough the fingers are permanently in the mouth again and the drooling has begun.

Once they're walking, they get really good, really fast. She runs now. When I turn around to put a dirty nappy in the nappy bin in her room, I turn back and she's already at the kitchen entrance!!! Giggling, of course!

Hoovering is a nightmare. We're trying to desensitise her, so we're going through a process of putting her in a carrier, facing me/him, and then do the hoovering.
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 August 2017 at 8:44PM
    Options
    He's just everywhere now. So quick with his crawling.

We went to buy a carrier today. Drove 1 1/2 hours to a place that actually has all the major ones in a showroom to try.

Poor boy was mighty fed up of being put in and out of them by the end of it! Took a lot longer than we thought it would, hard to choose.

Bought the Osprey Poco premium. It's great but bloomin heavy carrying him on my back. I'm sure I'll get used to it with time! He was happy in it anyway with his hood view. Much more chatty and interactive than when he's in his pushchair.

Planning just to use it if we're doing more serious walking in North Yorkshire or on holiday. We used to do hiking really regularly. We missed out on a lot of the good walking nearby while on holiday in Scotland because we were tied to the pushchair.

He's really improving with his standing the last few days. Just holding on with one hand or freestanding for a few seconds. He takes confident steps if I hold his hands and walk with him.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad the scan went well, Freddie! The Osprey carrier looks like it's fit for some good hiking. We have the ergo 360 and it's great on your back but I'm not sure how it will fair when he is much older.

april87, we've just done our first flights (internal) and they were totally fine. The waiting around the board and for our car seat from the hold were the worst bits. I fed our LO on taking off and he fell asleep on landing, we took quite a few toys and rotated them. Space to play was limited on our plane so was glad I wasn't on my own. We took our car seat as I won't hire one. We kept the box it came in originally, and got a travel bag then put it inside the box in that (along with nappies, wipes and a lot of clothes haha) It was a bit bulky to carry but worked great as I really do think they get bashed around lots. Do you have any local pram shops that might have a spare box you could use for it?
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a bit confused as to what to do.

DS is now 11 months old

He has been eating really well the last few months. Then a couple weeks ago he started throwing his food and refusing to eat it after the first few mouthfuls.

We decided to just not make a fuss about it, take the food away. Looking online it seemed to be a common thing with children around 10/11 months.

Anyway he gradually started having two good meals a day and one fussy, then the last couple if days he's gone back to normal and just wants to devour everything on his plate and then some of ours.

But my confusion is around the milk feeds. Over the past few months his milk intake has gone down a lot - which you'd expect surely of a baby that was eating an increasing amount of food during the day.

He was occasionally having a small 4oz feed in the afternoon, then a 5 or 6 oz (from a 7oz bottle) feed just before bed. Occasionally waking for another feed in the middle of the night, but usually only having a VERY small amount like 1-2 oz.

Eventually he stopped needing an afternoon feed a few weeks ago.

Then two days ago, he only had 3oz at bed time and that was it for the whole day.

Yesterday he had 1 oz at bedtime.

So he's basically not having milk anymore.

All of this has been baby-led. We offered milk to him for a while after he seemed to stop wanting it - just in case. But we've always just gone with what he was telling us.

The one exception is that we decided that he seemed to not really want a feed when he was waking up in the night. It was just a comfort thing - it also seemed to be messing up his eating along with all our sleep! We were staying up for 2 hours with him - and even us being there wasn't really settling him.

So we decided to try controlled crying - he went from 2 hours, to 1 1/2, to 40 minutes yesterday - with lots of sleepy bits where he was settling himself during that time. So that certainly seems to be working - he didn't get as upset last night as he had previous nights. I also decided just to try settling him straight away without a bottle the last two nights and he didn't seem to miss it at all, in fact he slept better.

Reading online though apparently they should still be having a pint of milk! Well he has whole milk on his cereal, yoghurt for one of his snacks and his one tiny formula feed but that's nowhere near a pint.

We don't get what you're supposed to do - If we start adding milk feeds back in then that'll mess up his eating pattern and go against what he's just naturally been doing himself.

He seemed a little hungry still after breakfast so I tried giving him some more whole milk from a cup, but he only had a few sips. Trying to do that with formula would be an expensive waste.

What have your experiences been with this?
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • Toots14
    Toots14 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Freddie,

C completely refused to take her bottles at 11 months. Even the sight of them put her in hysterics. Up until this point she was still having about 7oz in the morning and 7oz at bed time. I was freaking out about dairy but she really does get an awful lot in good which the health visitor said was perfectly fine. Only now will she take a cup of cows milk after her afternoon nap and she's 15 months so don't worry about it!

As an example she has 150ml in her porridge in the morning, usually some sort of cheese at lunch, yoghurt at some point in the day and most dinners we make have some sort of milk/cheese in it.

She got weighed last week and is 24lbs and 7oz so doing great!
  • ThinkPink
    Options
    No advice here as we are still on 3 bottles a day. I need to look into when I should cut out another bottle, I think we could probably cut out the day time bottle soon.

I need to work on self settling but know I'm going to struggle with controlled crying so decided I will do it once he is one, but as he has his operation two weeks after his birthday I'll wait till he all recovered then I will do it. Okay he coming back for tips.
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm not on board with CC/sleep training, there's too many mixed messages IMO. I have friends who are big fans and I can understand why people choose to do it but it doesn't have to be done to make them self settle, it'll come with time. Each to their own though.

There's very little around on cutting back/stopping milk feeds as they get older. Babies I know who are formula fed have cut back drastically a few months into weaning. I think most of them have a bottle before breakfast, at bed and one or two have in the afternoon.
  • april87
    april87 Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on flights. We are going to take our own car seat and buy a travel bag for it. Didn't even realise these things existed. Still trying to figure out the buggy situation, but that's about it.

12 week injections tomorrow for us eek. No husband with us tomorrow which I'm not keen on. I hate needles and didn't cope too well last time 😂

Has anyone's baby suffered from colic/reflux? We were using infacol for a good while but we were finding it was blocking him up inside. We stopped using it a few weeks ago and his bowel movements became a bit more regular and wasn't causing him any where near the amount of pain it was previously. However, he now fights his feeds, has stopped sleeping through the night and spitting up his feed. He passes a lot more wind but we struggle to get burps out of him when he feeds. Before we took him off the infacol we were starting on bottle of 180ml and now we feed anywhere between 50ml-120ml with maybe a single feed of 150ml a day. I will mention it tomorrow but does it sound like reflux?
  • crazy-cat-lady_2
    Options
    Zoe had bad colic from 6 weeks old to around 6 months old. It was horrible and nothing helped her. We were at the doctors quite regularly and they swapped formulas and made suggestions. They basically said anything with simethicone (sorry can't spell it off the top of my head) i.e. Infacol, dentinox, coilief.. don't actually work and nothing useful will come of them. We tried them all for months and all the doctors said we were wasting our time. Matched what we read online ourselves but we still tried anyway. She had never had a dummy til she got bad with it but we gave her one then and when it all passed took it away again. It's the only thing that helped her settle at night.
    Have you looked into lactose free formula? The comfort one is a bit of a help but made her very runny bum and chapped. It was a horrible few months. Worse because nothing we could try was helping her and I hated seeing her so sore.

No help on the milk problem sorry. She's still a big milk fan. Gone on to one cuo of formula and one cow's milk a day now. And she's getting a lot better at having a sippy cup of water between them when she wants a drink. She didn't want to let her bottle go at first and move on from it, but after a few days she got used to it. Same with letting her 3rd milk if the day. She missed it at first but isn't bothered now.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • ThinkPink
    Options
    I have a 1 year old!! It just seems crazy!! The last year has gone so fast!! we've had a busy couple of days which included a tea party for just immediate family (was still 17 people though!!), Then we had a trip to the local aquarium yesterday and a trip to a local activity farm today, it's been lovely though.

My little one is still on three bottles of formula but I'm thinking when the current tin gets low I'm going to try cow's milk and see how he gets on, I think we will probably be dropping the third bottle soon too but I'll see how it goes. Some days he just isn't interested in it and others he will have 7oz!

Little one is walking quite well now, he's getting so steady on his feet,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport