£16,000 debt, turning regret into positive action.

Options

Comments

• Rachel24
    Rachel24 Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks enthusasticsaver this kept happening to me and I've switched it off now! LadyP01 you have done incredible! I'm in double figures just now and my aim is to get into single figures but the end of the year. So incredible! Xx
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh my word that was driving me crazy! I coudnt understand why it was happening and I noticed it on other people's posts! Thank you so much.

Protein is the key Iv upper the cheese I eat along with meats and veg sticks etc and that keeps me full I tend not to snack and usually just eat my three meals a day now.

Rachel you can absolutely do it. It's not easy sometimes I'm always having to turn down nights out etc but it is worth it. When I can't do something and someone else seems to be doing everything I think back to how I was achieving that life style and the answer was debt those people are probably in debt and that makes it easier for me to say no actually I can't afford that.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Fantastic progress, LadyP01! Both on the money and abstaining from sugar.

Allowing yourself the possibility of a low-cost get-away is probably wise so you don't feel deprived. With the end of your debt repayment in sight you have plenty of the year still to come should you chose to go away.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Thanks cherry fudge. I think it might be a nice challenge see how cheap we can do a get away.

This month I have a decision to make. My credit cards interest free time is now up and the interest is 2.1% Iv worked out that this is going to cost about £60 in interest in total across 5 months.

Now I have an offer that's 100% for approval with virgin cards it's 0%interest and no fee on balance transfers. This would be great but my question to you all is...
    In June I want to cancel my card and remove any borrowing options from my life. If I open a new account and then cancel it in such a short amount of time that will effect my credit score as that's a short relationship with a lender.

I also want to apply for a rewards card after I'm debt free as I have some big things to pay for and want to a. Use a card for security and b. Take advantage of the cash back offers on such high priced items. So I want to keep my credit score at the top like it currently is.

Is it worth taking the hit on the interest? Or get the new card anyway?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,619 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If it is saving interest and no fee then yes I would do it. Opening and closing cards does not affect your credit rating.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    That's good to know. I need to apply and get that transferred over this month then to avoid charges.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    10 days into the month already!

Just done a budget check for the month. All going well, I had some work expenses this week just under £100 so I won't get those back for a few weeks. I only set aside £50 for these so I hope they come before the last week of the month. Plus side is when it does come in the £50 can go straight to debt.

Mother's Day on Sunday... nice low key plan... dinner will cost around £30-£40 depending on where mother would like to dine. Who knows she may pick somewhere cheaper!!!!! I have budgeted £40 anyway so she can choose what she likes.

Easter will be next... I'm going to try and get some bits this weekend. Budgeted £20 for everyone, challenge is on.

This months birthday gift was purchased last month, just needs wrapping.

Cards can be an unexpected cost so I'm going to try and do some of my own ones if possible.

Lots to do today!!!!
    !!!8226;buy Mother's Day gift
    !!!8226;buy Easter gifts
    !!!8226;birthday card
    !!!8226;exchange a birthday top for bigger size.
    !!!8226;congrats card for a friend
    !!!8226;well done card for a colleague
    !!!8226;wrap birthday gift

Let's see what I actually get done!
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Mother's Day gift came in at £12 out of the £20 budget u had set.

Easter gifts... Iv decided just to get an eggs for everyone except two people the cost was just going to be to much per person.

I didn't get anything else done! Maybe this week I can tackle those things
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Busy week!

Feeling low today lots of worries about future spending with the oh. It's all ok but sometimes it gets me thinking.

Went to the cinema this weekend and we got it for £13 so I'm really happy with that saving.

Also lost 3.5 this week being sugar free so another happy thing.

Still need to get that to do list done
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,136 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    3.5 loss is excellent. I think I am making up for your lack of sugar consumption... :(

Why not make an achievement list as well as a To Do? So you can focus on how many things you have already done - particularly cutting expenses and things you might have spent on but resisted. I did one once of seemingly small savings like buying yellow-stickered items, ('Mince marked down from £3.50 to £1.50 - saving £2). Of course you can add bigger items too - earlier in the mortgage a small overpayment can be projected at current interest rates to a savings of lots of £££ further down the line. All those 'little' savings made me realise how much I was making a difference and I found it cheered me along. Perhaps it would for you too?
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport