£16,000 debt, turning regret into positive action.

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    What is s/world? Slimming world? What do you get for that £40? Maybe the chocolate nibbles best avoided if you watching your weight ;)

Your food looks low for a month. Savings pots are good. Two thirds of your income going to debt is quite a high percentage. Fine if you can sustain that but not if you leave yourself short and spend on the card again.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • LadyP01
    LadyP01 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yh its slimming world. It gets me my weeks weigh in and two boxes of the gluten free veggie bars. These are actually cheaper then the ones I can get from supermarkets unless they go on offer then I get them from there. I did cut them out to save money and had more fruit and yoghurts when I needed a sweet tipple but with fruit already costing £2.40 a day for two of us it was hiking it to £3.60 per day so overall wasnt seeing a saving on the money front.

Im really lucky with the food my rent covers and main food shop so I get a £10 top up shop of fruit and veg mid week so easily sustainable.

Iv found that I can live happily in that budget as I save a little every month to pay for big bills, Christmas, clothes and haircuts. This feb birthday is the only one I have before being debt free so Im holding off birthday savings till after my debt free day.

Things will change when I have my own house. Im really lucky to be living on such low rent that includes all my bills which has allowed me to tackle this debt head on.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Just checking in with a spending update:

Thursday - NSD
    Friday - NSD
    Saturday - NSD
    Sunday- £2.40 on chocolate nibbles
    Monday - NSD
    Tuesday - NSD

I need to get some petrol and food bits tomorrow so it wont be a nsd for me but a good week so far.
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Two weeks since pay day so Iv done a quick money overview and counted everything up.

Thursday - NSD
    Friday - NSD
    Saturday - NSD
    Sunday- £2.40 on chocolate nibbles
    Monday - NSD
    Tuesday - NSD
    Wednesday - £19.99 Petrol
    £7.46 food

Counted what I have left:
    Petrol allowance - £40
    S/world- £30
    Food - £20.79
    Social - £10

This is a 5 week month so I still have 3 weeks left to go. Might be tight! See what comes up.

I also checked my accounts for presents and car to see what I have in there.

Car - £188.46. I did expect there to be a little bit more, I’m not sure why when this is 3 months worth of savings at £60. This pot needs to be £400 to cover all my car payments for the year and any unexpected tyres.

Presents - £54.26 this was a nice surprise! I realised at lunch that I have another family birthday next month so it’s good to see I have some extra in that account for that. I can also purchase this months birthday present from this account and send the £12 I was planning to debt.

Tonight’s to do list:
    Purchase the birthday gifts
    Send off what I havnt spent to credit card

Overall budget is going to plan, just need to keep updating it like I have done this week so I don’t overspend.

:beer:
  • LadyP01
    Options
    So todays been a day of dreaming and coming up with ideas of closing the gap I have to hit my debt pay off. I have some ideas to get a few extra hundred towards debt for the may payment, feeling positive about it.

Im so excited about being debt free Iv started thinking about the emergency funds I need to set up the month after and the savings plans I need to put in and just how great it will be to have that weight lifted.

Todays spends:
    Thursday - weigh in £4.95
    Gluten bars- £3.90
    Yoghurts and fruit - £3.95
  • LadyP01
    edited 11 February 2018 at 12:35PM
    Options
    Freezing cold weather is making it harder to be possitive and proactive today!

Still havnt got the presents as Im struggling to find the exact one Iv seen.

Tonight wont be spend free but I have an action plan to spend very little... squash should keep the price down I want to spend a maximum of £10 and Im driving. If the money drys up then its time to leave.

Spending:

Gluten bars- £3.90
    Yoghurts and fruit - £3.95
    Friday - NSD
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Squash sounds like a very good idea! Or squash and soda for a bit of fizz. :D

Have a good evening.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • LadyP01
    Options
    Hey cherry fudge, turned out that I didnt spend a thing. A few drinks that were provided and a few waters, had a great evening and feeling positive today.

Gluten bars - £3.90
    Fruit and yog - £3.95
    Friday - NSD
    Saturday - NSD
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,137 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Isn't is nice when you get a great evening without spending anything! Those NSDs are starting to multiply. :D
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • LadyP01
    Options
    It certainly is. Today was another NSD and tomorrow should be the same if my car can just hold out until Wednesday. I wondered why my petrol was so low when £20 lasts a week then I realised my days off were before I filled up so its hitting me hard this week. Lets see if I can atleast push through tomorrow.

Samples are going well. IV fallen in love with two new perfumes, hopefully Ill remember them for my birthday. My big bottles perfumes have been on a draw for nearly two weeks now so Im going to see a saving using these samples. Must get some more.

17 days till pay day. Thats just over two weeks. I can do this!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback