PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh no! I have found out that the local McC0lls not only does big bags of my favourite crisps for £1 it also sells my favourite ever sweeties at 3 little bags for £1. My waistline is not going to be happy! DH beer is cheaper there than anywhere else at the moment too.

£8.50 spent on beer, crisps and sweets :o I know we spend too much on booze which I do track separately but from next month I am also going to track how much we spend on crisps and snacks as I think this is going to be a bigger figure than expected.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I was doing so well and then this week happened! I kind of wandered around the supermarket in a bit of a daze - I struggled doing the meal plan yesterday for some reason, couldn't think of all the things I like to cook, and then suddenly remembered them as I shopped so I think I have bought things for too many meals now. Also I made the fatal FATAL mistake of sending Mr Expert out to the butcher's, and he managed to go to the expensive place for meat, plus spent $12 on frozen berries which were half of that price at Aldi, I shouldn't grumble about petty things but argh.

Anyway I'm at $957/900 but not declaring yet because it remains to be seen if I can get through to Thursday without a top up shop - it could get worse. It was an ambitious budget to start with because I thought Mr E was going away for the last week of it and then the trip got cancelled so there's that. But still. I tried so haaaaaaard!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    Options
    Several shops over the past week - totalling £63.67, so that leaves £98.36, well within budget. I need to defrost the freezer this week, so some strange combinations of things from there means I shouldn't have to spend too much, apart from fresh fruit and veg and fridge bits.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 27 May 2017 at 4:31PM
    Options
    So we've been shopping twice since my last post. One shop was £5.10 and the other was £4.52. So another £9.62 spent there.

Really went at the right time yesterday (the £4.52 spend) as £2.72 of that was the following that were all reduced; pack of ripe and ready pears, 4kg potatoes, organic cauliflower, 500g parsnips, 250g sliced mushrooms, 200g brussel sprouts, pack of broccoli rice, a savoy cabbage and a pot of houmous. Huge saving there. Now off to rework my meal plan...

£141.64/£155
    £13.36 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I went to Aldee for the camping special offers and I have either got the date wrong or they have sold out of everything! I did do the top up shop and stocked up on DS's favourite Ice cream sandwiches. I have just looked at the receipt again to write this post and it looks like I haven't been charged for one box of the ice creams.

I forget how much I like shopping at aldee and how much cheaper it is when I haven't been for a while. I have been using Mr T deliveries but might change back to 1 delivery a month for GF cereal etc. I cant get at ALdee and do the weekly shop at ALdee. It was easier this morning as DS was at his grandparents overnight so I could get there and back with nobody moaning at me ;)

Total spent in ALdee was £34.21 and £4.35 in Sains on GF choc bics and cereal.

I am over my total now but we just need some beers for the weekend as Sains had no GF beer left but we don't need any more food.

Monthly spend - £532.29/£500
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Last shop of the month today at £9.31 bringing my final total to £222.27/£230. See you all in the June Challenge!:j
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Way over this month, and couldn't be worse. I'm going to be unemployed come Tuesday with little chance of getting a new job. No reference likely.

Have our the rental property on the market. Tenants move out in August, but if it doesn't sell quickly we'll have lost that income as well.

Belt tightening on the cards again. Thankfully I have a fairly full freezer. I just need to streeeeetch things out a bit more.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Way over this month, and couldn't be worse. I'm going to be unemployed come Tuesday with little chance of getting a new job. No reference likely.

So sorry to hear this, hope you manage to find something new.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spent £14 today on bits from ASDA, so am still coming in waaay under budget, but in fairness have been really off my food this week x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your job FurryBeastOz. Is there anyone you worked with who could give you a personal reference? Companies generally only give a reference confirming you actually worked there and nothing else so a personal one is better anyway. If not then just get one from the last place you worked before that. My brother was in the same position as you a few years ago and he managed to get another job. Just keep trying!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure