PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £16.80 in aldi for salad and cream, decided to get a few extra veggies and 8 cartons of long life soya milk, hopefully nothing else needed but won`t wrap up as tempting fate.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Way over this month, and couldn't be worse. I'm going to be unemployed come Tuesday with little chance of getting a new job. No reference likely.

That's tough :( , sending you good wishes for an upturn in fortunes soon.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Rachiedabbler70
    Options
    Way over this month, and couldn't be worse. I'm going to be unemployed come Tuesday with little chance of getting a new job. No reference likely.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties - personal reference might be worth a go from colleague and don't lose hope of getting another job. Hope it sorts for you quickly.

I'm moving over to the June thread for postings, but will continue to read May until the end. Good luck everyone. :)
    Blitz that mortgage
    Jun 2016 £152,000
    April 2021 £85,000
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options

Have our the rental property on the market. Tenants move out in August, but if it doesn't sell quickly we'll have lost that income as well.

Belt tightening on the cards again. Thankfully I have a fairly full freezer. I just need to streeeeetch things out a bit more.

Don't lose hope. I can only work from home as a tutor, and my main online teaching source of income has dried up, but on Thursday I started a new post. I had applied online, completely forgotten about it, but last Monday I was told that I had secured a post, by Thursday I was working. Things had looked bleak, as bona-fide online teaching jobs are fairly rare.

I am continuing to economise, though. £11.19 spent in Lidl and Poundland Friday on groceries brings the amount left to £140/£49.25. Going to come in under budget despite the month being 11 days longer than was originally envisaged.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • amandaatnumber7
    Options

Have our the rental property on the market. Tenants move out in August, but if it doesn't sell quickly we'll have lost that income as well.

Belt tightening on the cards again. Thankfully I have a fairly full freezer. I just need to streeeeetch things out a bit more.
    Sorry to hear this, hope things get better for you

Argh I did a couple of shopping trips this week and have overspent, I'm struggling with the new diet my dr has put me on and I tend to get a little obsessive with diets :eek::eek:
    In total I've spent $233.03 I am still under my predicted budgeted but that was for 5 weekly shops and I've only had 4 plus top ups
    Hopefully I can make it to June without having to go back to the shops so it balances out
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • mhagster
    mhagster Posts: 5,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good rnorning from chilly Melbourne. Well I think I'm under in my first months grocery challenge !

I was very kindly sent a $200 supermarket voucher by a school friend who now lives in New Zealand...she had said it was in lieu of a hot meal. I was rather gobsmacked at the amount. ( my husband has recently died which is why she'd sent it)

So off I toddled to supermarket on Saturday and thought I'd be spending half of it, no, I was $7 over. I needed lots of cleaning / loo paper/ toiletries so I think that's what bumped it up and not the RTC profiteroles! So I now need to rethink how I buy these items and think I should get a couple a week and put by rather than getting them in one fell swoop and it pushes the bill up dramatically.

So I think by default I am under budget but shall move on over to June with the same target of $600 aud as I think it is doable. This is my second month of not having a big salary arriving kindly into the bank account. But if I'm canny I can just about afford what we need to live on, off my part time wage.

I must make sure there's no food wastage and that everything is used up.
    I'm glad I've joined in, makes me think before I buy.

Good luck with June targets!
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss, mhagster. Do you have a friend with a Costco card? That's how I buy cleaning products and toiletries and things. No help for your voucher, obviously, but in the future?

Nothing to report here. I'm going to have to make a loaf of bread if I'm determined to skip the top up shop though. My chickens also appear to be on egg strike thanks to the dire weather, so that's no help. Currently I have three grown hens, one of whom is old and seems to have stopped laying (but still eats!) and 6 adolescents who aren't quite laying age yet but eat like adults. I am definitely spending more money to feed the little blighters than I am getting back!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have been beyond rubbish at posting this month :o. I have however been keeping a spending diary and using up cupboard and freezer stocks.
    I'm declaring at £141.51 which frustratingly is just over but I had an spur of the moment family meal which required an extra chicken and I ran out of coffee two days before pay day. I can make do without most things but not that :rotfl:
    Hope you've all had a thrifty month, see you over on June :)
    PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pinkypig, you've done better than me! I too haven't done a lot of posting, and depressingly have to declare an overspend of £36.94, partly caused by sheer inattention. Things have definitely gone up significantly, and I've just not been keeping track properly. The next 2-3 months will be - different - as I'm hosting students, mostly energetic early teenage boys, who require vast quantities of food, so I'm really struggling to set a sensible budget as I haven't bought that kind of food for a while!
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • maisymoo5
    maisymoo5 Posts: 137 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I am declaring my final total for May. This is the first month I have participated in this challenge and would like to thank you all for focusing me to keep to a budget. I kept a record of my spending two months prior so that I could come up with a reasonable budget figure. March spends were £414.20 which is shocking for two people and two dogs. April's spend was £336.06 so I decided to give myself a budget of £300 for May. By thinking about where and what I am spending my money on, I have managed to come in well within budget at £186.21/£300. Now this could be just a one off. We shall see but I feel very hopeful that I can keep us within a far more reasonable budget now. For those interested, my breakdown was as follows: £82.75 on meat, £2.98 on fish, £6.00 on frozen food, £29.08 on dairy, £1.78 on veg/salad ( I am growing my own), £4.10 on bread ( I need to start making my own again), £13.16 on drinks, £1.99 on treats, £19.74 on pet food (should last at least a month), £18.65 on kitchen and toilet roll, £3.98 on cleaning products/bin bags etc, £2.00 on other. Thank you to you all for the motivation and best of luck to us all in June.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure