PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all

just finished March with slight overspend - Would like to increase budget back to £90 for 1st - 30th April please.
    Have started reducing my food intake as either the scales are lying or I have gained around 7lbs since xmas:eek: am hoping this won't affect the budget.
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    samtoby wrote: »
    Thank you so much for the advice. I have just written a meal plan -

Saturday - Toad in the hole
    Sunday - Dinner with my Mum (free)
    Monday - Cottage Pie 500g mince (from 1kg pack)
    Tuesday - Spag 500g mince (from 1kg pack) - already got pasta
    Wednesday - Jacket potato beans cheese
    Thursday - Sausage Mash
    Friday - Chicken wedges veg

I had ordered from Asda but for some reason my payment didn't go through Thurs so re did tonight. I spent £36 but that included an offer for 36 toilet rolls at £7

I have a lot of things in the cupboards so hoping not to waste all that, do some baking with the children.

36.56 spent so far

Just wondered if you have considered substituting red lentils for some of your mince. I divide a kg into three then add a handful of lentils to a portion. You win a third of your mince for another meal this way.
    Slimming World at target
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Found you.Please could i join in with a target of £197 for the month .Thank you.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My budget starts from today until the 30th.
    Putting myself down for £200 for my grocery challenge For 2 adults and 5 cats
    For little extras out while at hospital £20.
    Easter all sorted, including Easter Sunday main bits so really hoping to come in under budget:)
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    I've only just realised there are 5 Saturdays (when I shop) in April! That's going to make the $1000 very tricky. I might keep it officially, but budget more money into YNAB just in case.

First shop of the month was expensive considering I've already got a freezer full of meat, but because it was the first week everyone wanted expensive things. DH and I have a ritual of having a nice dinner together on Saturday nights w/o the children, because we never get to go out to dinner so this is a substitute, and I bought scotch fillet for that. Then they all wanted whole fish for Sunday dinner and I bought a couple of baby Red Snapper. Those two things together came to $60, which is 1/3 of my weekly budget! Luckily or unluckily, we decided that the fish wouldn't be enough for 3 once we removed the heads and bones and things, so DH and I will save the scotch fillet for next week and have a roast chicken (already in the freezer) for Sunday night instead. Spreads out the cost.

I also bought a bunch of extras to try some new lunch ideas - like DIY Pot Noodles! You layer fresh noodles, homemade spice paste and diced frozen veg in a jar, take it to work and pour boiling water over it. I shall report back!

So first week of the <eeeeek> 5, and I'm at $178.71/$1000.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • samtoby
    samtoby Posts: 2,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Just wondered if you have considered substituting red lentils for some of your mince. I divide a kg into three then add a handful of lentils to a portion. You win a third of your mince for another meal this way.

I hadn't no! Don't think I have ever eaten lentils! Thanks
    3 Children - 2004 :heart2: 2014 :heart2: 2017 :heart2:
    Happily Married since 2016
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    samtoby wrote: »
    I spent £36 but that included an offer for 36 toilet rolls at £7
    Are they still on offer, do you have a link, did look but couldn't find them.
    meg72 wrote: »
    Yes, I do that (with veggie mince), more than a handful, also kidney beans, carrots etc., you really can't tell the difference and it makes a ton, which I freeze.

Spent £1 on Astonish hob cleaner, bit of an unnecessary product really, but thought I would try for the price. Decided to get strict with myself. If I don't meal plan, then i'm not to shop. Need toilet rolls 2moz, so I best get a move on. Have a lovely w/e everyone.
  • mucky_moo
    mucky_moo Posts: 83 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all, just done the first shop of the month. went to farmfoods so i could use vouchers. cost £45.47 after the £5 voucher was taken off.

this weeks meal plan is
    Sunday - roast dinner
    Monday - quorn sausage, mash and beans
    Tuesday - pasta (im at college so prob tuna mayo)
    Wednesday - vege cottage pie
    Thursday - Scampi, chips and veg
    Friday - Pizza (from freezer)
    Saturday - Chinese fakeaway from freezer
    Breakfasts are cereal or toast and lunches are couscous, bulgarwheat or pasta

The dogs got HM stew

and still plenty left in the cupboards to plan for the rest of the month.
    Weight loss - 0/12 GC - July 142.01/£200 Happiness can be found in the darkest of places if only someone turns on the light
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stocktake of fridge reveals most of last week's veg UNOPENED in their packets! Think I plan healthier than I cook...

Done my meal plan and going to add packed lunches to this week.

Saturday - sausage and bean casserole
    Sunday - soup for lunch, moroccan chicken for dinner
    Monday - cottage pie or lasagne. DS can have pasta and meatballs as he doesn't like lasagne and I have meatballs left from last week
    Tuesday - Chicken enchiladas and broccoli
    Wed - Turkey steaks with roasted veg (courgettes, peppers, sweet potatoes)
    Thursday - baked potatoes with various toppings (tuna / cheese / onion and bacon) and beans

Packed lunch for me will be egg mayo, tuna savoury or pate salad sandwiches. Cereal, toast or HM smoothies for everyone's breakfast. I read a great blog last week where the blogger prepared plastic boxes full of salad stuff and just put a handful from 6-7 boxes in a lunchbox to take to work - so have boiled some eggs in advance. Must put it together the night before or experience shows I won't have enough time in the morning. This would be a big money saver as I spend £3-£4.50 a day atm and so does DH.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • LesP50
    LesP50 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Hi can I join again please, 175 for me and DS who comes home from uni at the weekends. (He's got a p/t job here). Am going to try an online shop twice this month as I have 10 off 50 coupons.
    So far 41 Sbury delivery and 3.73 in Tes on stuff I didn't really need. Must try harder!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport