Ford Ecoboost - engine failure

Options

Comments

• TickersPlaysPop
    Options
    UPDATE..

2123 car reg plates so far.... See the Facebook group for the open list.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

It is still possible to get a free engine, if you put up a fight and follow the actions listed on the Facebook group.

Car owners are still being treated like cash cows when the root cause is Ford's design flaw. With hideous customer service and the £1000's involved this is a country wide and global scandal.

Group legal action is progressing well... to add your case to the list of interested people... see http://www.roscoereid.com/ford-ecoboost-engines/

If you are affected, despite what the Ford dealer will tell you, you are 1 of many who have gone before you, and many who will follow.
    Peace.
  • Brez18
    Brez18 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    UPDATE..

2123 car reg plates so far.... See the Facebook group for the open list.

It is still possible to get a free engine, if you put up a fight and follow the actions listed on the Facebook group.

Car owners are still being treated like cash cows when the root cause is Ford's design flaw. With hideous customer service and the £1000's involved this is a country wide and global scandal.

Group legal action is progressing well... to add your case to the list of interested people... see
    If you are affected, despite what the Ford dealer will tell you, you are 1 of many who have gone before you, and many who will follow.

My car has gone boom and my request to join the facebook page hasnt been accepted yet! I am struggling to follow the steps as I purchased the car 2nd hand in cash from an independent dealer so a bit confused about steps 4 and 5, the rest will need to be done once I find out the actual issue. Car has been towed to Ford and getting inspected tomorrow. Can you help me at all? Kind regards
  • AngieKSA
    Options
    My son bought a Ford Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost in May this year from a private seller. It has 87k miles. In July, my son noticed that the coolant level was low, so he topped it up and realised that it immediately ran out of the bottom of the car. Coincidentally (I think) his battery went from being fine to complete flat. Green Flag came out and advised that we buy a new battery and then take the car to a Ford garage for repair to the coolant pipe - completely wrong advice!! As soon as the battery was charged (existing one was charged over night), my son started the car and white smoke billowed out of the exhaust. He stopped the engine and Green Flag relayed it to a Ford garage.
    I contacted Ford Customer Relationship Centre who said it was likely to be caused by a "known issue" and that once the garage had checked it, the likely outcome would be a new engine at their cost. Great! However, it took 1 month before the garage could/would even look at it and then Ford confirmed that a "re-manufactured" engine would be fitted at their cost. Great! However, it then took the garage a further 14 days to start the repair which was finally completed on Friday 16th August. We were advised that the car was fixed but it needed some screws fitting to the heat cover so we returned the car the next day to get this done. The coolant level had worryingly gone down significantly over night.
    The garage could not carry out the final fix for some reason so we were told to come back in a week's time. My son drove the car out of the dealership forecourt and it broke down and had to be pushed back by the technicians - much to the embarrassment of the dealership and complete frustration to myself and my son. The car is now sitting back in the garage waiting for someone to look at it on Monday and determine why it broke down almost immediately.
    The "new" engine is guaranteed for 12 months and I overheard the service adviser saying "these bloody ecoboost engines are a nightmare". However, to me, she said "it may be an unrelated problem". I am not going to accept that this is an unrelated problem as before this whole saga started in June, the car ran well and passed it's health check.
    So...whilst Ford have eventually acknowledged that there is a problem with the coolant system which leads to the engine being flooded and ruined, and they are covering the cost of "new" engines, it does pose the question - what type of "new" engines are they fitting if they break down almost immediately? The saga continues....!
  • AngieKSA
    Options
    The Facebook page you are referring to appears to have stopped accepting new members. However, just contact Ford Relationship Centre and report the problem immediately. If the problem is caused by the coolant system, you are almost certainly going to get a new engine fitted but, as you can see from my post, the new engine failed almost immediately.
  • AngieKSA
    Options
    I contacted the lawyers who were preparing a mass action against ford but they have advised me that they are no longer involved because "Ford are now covering the cost of new engines". This does not help all the 000's of customers who are out of pocket because their cars have been off the road waiting for the repair!! I had to sign the disclaimer saying I would not be able to claim in future because the Ford dealership it was at said they would not carry out the repair without it signed. However, I challenged it and said that it did not affect my statutory consumer rights and therefore, I WOULD made further claims if necessary. Unfortunately, the new engine fitted to my son's car lasted all of 22 hours!! The nightmare continues and he can't get a courtesy car because he's only 18.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AngieKSA wrote: »
    I contacted the lawyers who were preparing a mass action against ford but they have advised me that they are no longer involved because "Ford are now covering the cost of new engines". This does not help all the 000's of customers who are out of pocket because their cars have been off the road waiting for the repair!! I had to sign the disclaimer saying I would not be able to claim in future because the Ford dealership it was at said they would not carry out the repair without it signed. However, I challenged it and said that it did not affect my statutory consumer rights and therefore, I WOULD made further claims if necessary. Unfortunately, the new engine fitted to my son's car lasted all of 22 hours!! The nightmare continues and he can't get a courtesy car because he's only 18.

You don't have many statutory rights with a used car bought from a private seller. The manufacturer aren't under any obligation to repair your car, provide an alternative, or provide you any other recompense.

Ford are offering goodwill engine replacements for some ecoboost blow outs because the bad press was getting out of control. Out of warranty customers before this were given the hard shoulder to cry on (literally).

Having seen the Facebook page I would do what everyone else has done, take the second repair, hope the engine lasts to the nearest branch of We Buy Any Car - and get rid of it.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    AngieKSA wrote: »
    the new engine failed almost immediately.
    After replacing an engine there can be many reasons for it cutting out, this doesn't mean the engine has failed.
  • AngieKSA
    Options
    I understand that but the Ford workshop have no idea what's causing it so I'm not hopeful about the repair/engine
  • Sir_Robert
    Options
    So after 57,000 miles of motoring, my Focus Ecoboost engine has bitten the dust without warning. The local Ford dealership have said it was down to a fault with the heater and Ford don't want to contribute to the estimated £6,000 of work needed.

The Ecoboost Nightmares Group on Facebook doesn't seem to be running anymore, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to proceed?
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    Sir_Robert wrote: »
    So after 57,000 miles of motoring, my Focus Ecoboost engine has bitten the dust without warning. The local Ford dealership have said it was down to a fault with the heater and Ford don't want to contribute to the estimated £6,000 of work needed.

The Ecoboost Nightmares Group on Facebook doesn't seem to be running anymore, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way to proceed?

One of the causes of the engine overheating was heater matrix's were leaking. If this has happened you would/should have noticed your carpets being wet.

Once you lost coolant the engine overheats immediately and the temp gauge doesn't react (if fitted).

Unfortunately you'll have to fight your own corner with Ford. You could try contacting the head office customer relations or the UK MD.

All I can say is good luck but it will just take time and won't resolve quickly
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure