Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cherryfudge, don't buy 'it'll do' things. Keep looking until you find the right one at the right price.
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with not buying the "it'll do" clothes. Since January I have been sorting through my clothes and I have been shocked at how much I have bought simply because "it would do". No more. Less is more.

And I know what you mean about cost per wear of outer wear. I bought a coat in a charity shop last autumn which I really like and cost £7.50.

Would it be worth speaking to a seamstress to see whether they might have an idea to sort your coat? Then you could wear it more

Have a good weekend, take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 17 March 2018 at 1:18PM
    Options
    I am persuaded :). TBH I was persuaded already but it doesn't hurt to have it reinforced. :D I have ordered the coat I liked and a running top as well (saves postage... my excuse. I had been looking for 'the right one' for running for a while though).

So that's £84 spent without leaving the house.

Pauline, that's a good idea re speaking to a seamstress. I really like the coat (as you can tell, seeing as I've kept it 30 years!)

In other news: it's snowing out of a clear blue sky and DH has bought us a new vacuum cleaner (£129). I know you can get cheaper but we want one that washes as well, and this is the latest version of the one we've had donkey's years, which in its day was the latest version of one we were given by my parents... so we know we like them and that they last and last. The old one still worked but had got incredibly loud and was losing suction, so apart from the fact we were having to vacuum longer, we were also putting it off because of the noise! You can tell it was bad. :D

All that before lunch.

This is my weekend off: I felt a bit torn as work were struggling to cover shifts yesterday which hasn't happened much lately and I've had more weekends off than normal recently but I've been so tired. I even wondered if my medication was faulty and under strength, but I think it's more that I haven't been running for a couple of weeks. Running made all the difference to my mental health last year so I mustn't let it go now.

Plans for today: DH say one coat is enough for one month but he still needs new trousers so we may go to the out of town shops later. I am trying to persuade him that buying himself a coat now while winter ones can be had at sale prices is in fact a very good idea and that he has plenty of money for it. Maybe I'll ask him to look at his current one in daylight too! He hates clothes shopping but I've said that it won't take too long as he can buy exactly the same as he already has.

So no MS plans. I did deep-clean the fridge yesterday (those of you in hiding can come out now) - threw a few bits in the compost and others down the drain. :( It's still full! How does that work?

Ah - another flurry of snow! This mini-beast from the east looks as though it's small but fierce. Good job I ordered that coat, but not so good for running.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 17 March 2018 at 11:51PM
    Options
    So this has been a very spendy day, and yes, we could have got by without the things we bought though the old vacuum was definitely on its last legs.

My new coat and running top won't arrive till midweek but I'll count the spending as today's and refund myself if they aren't right.

This afternoon DH got his new jeans but we had no success finding him a coat. I might just order one online for him to try as I think that's the best chance of getting something his style. I did some more clothes shopping too: a dress and a running top which I'm hoping will get lots of use over the summer and on holiday. The top doesn't look like traditional running wear so I'm thinking it could double as ordinary wear on hot days.

We also went grocery shopping and spent £20.30 - so I spent £10.30 - and I got some skin cream and a gift for DD's birthday next month.

DS2 is working nights this weekend so I shall be creeping round tomorrow and will be off to work before he comes back on Monday. However I'm mopping up a bit more leave on Monday so hopefully only working till 10am. After that the coming week is looking chequered: days off Tuesday and Wednesday then back in from Thursday to the following Wednesday though two of those are only three-hour days. I believe there may be an alternative universe in which people work 9-5, Monday to Friday. :rotfl:

Time I did a bit of piano practice as I won't get much chance tomorrow.

Spends:
    Clothing £140 :eek:
    Medical (skin cream) £2.35
    Gifts £2.99
    Housekeeping £10.30

(DH's spending: clothing £22, Vacuum cleaner £129, housekeeping £10 + fish & chips approx. £5).

MS stuff:
    Have taken a liking to the lime pickle that was hiding in the fridge. I don't suppose it was meant to be eaten by the spoonful but it saves wasting it! :eek:
    Housekeeping looks like lasting the week. :)
    Tried on a pair of jeans I'd stuffed in the loft when my weight was going up, and they fit, so that's a freebie. :)
    Resisted £50 worth of nice but not essential tops that I tried on... will wait for the 'perfect' ones to show up, if they do.
    Yes, a lot spent on clothes but they are likely to last me some time as they are well made and comfy.
    Confession time
    Didn't really need that sundress but it was such a perfect fit and felt lovely and work gets so hot in summer... and it may end up going on that Big Holiday with us later in the year. And DH and I agreed it suits me. :) Oh, and did I mention he talked me into trying it on? ;):D

ETA: I just gave DH a haircut, even if it is nearly eleven pm! :) That doesn't (quite) pay us back for the clothes shopping but over the years it's saved a lot of money!

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like good investment buys to me. You have to buy these things when you see them.

Hurrah to the jeans, always a bonus.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds like good investment buys to me. You have to buy these things when you see them.

Hurrah to the jeans, always a bonus.

Totally agree!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 20 March 2018 at 12:33AM
    Options
    Thanks redo and Wannabe :). My new stuff is helping me dream of summer - and it's been bright but bitterly cold again today! The 'new' jeans are coming in useful too.

Some grocery buying went on today but nothing yesterday... we both have the day off tomorrow and DS2 is on nightshift again so I may persuade DH and me to go for a coffee in the morning or something so DS can sleep. I was supposed to be using up annual leave again today but only managed an hour as something came up at work. On the positive side I have written a couple of work letters and filed copies which is good as they needed to be done for me to get my increment :D. The lack of computers has again been a problem at work: the supplementary laptop we have on loan refused to let me log in (someone else had a similar problem) so in the end I came home to take the remainder of what would have been half a day's leave, ended up drafting the letters, emailed them to my work address and went back in to get them onto letterheads! What a faff - but at least I live nearby so I didn't have to waste time and money travelling. Talk about jumping through hoops... then I feel so sorry for colleagues who have had illnesses and operations and therefore end up not getting increments even though they've been through the mill.

*Jumps off soap box*

Another positive DS and DDiL have some currency which they've offered us at the rate they bought it (for our holiday later in the year). I need to put that through the holiday account tonight - makes it all a bit more real!

18/3/18
    NSD
    19/3/18
    Spends:

Housekeeping £17.86
    Holiday £217.00
    E book £0.85
    MS stuff
    Holiday currency at a good rate
    Some nice bread on half price
    Confession time:
    Trying a more expensive brand of washing liquid as my skin is reacting to something. Shame as I like the one I've been using very much, it smells delicious but that could be the cause of the problem.

Sleepy AGAIN this evening, but maybe this evening it was due to an early start this morning. I sat and watched a film about Sport Relief but I don't think it made up for my not going for a run (again).

• WannabeFree
    Options
    Have a lovely day Cherry

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 21 March 2018 at 1:23AM
    Options
    What a nice day today! I did manage to be groggy and tired all morning but eventually got my act together enough to go out for the day with DH, first having done the laundry. How lovely to have sunshine and abundant spring flowers as well as lunch in a little bakery DD had showed me. I suspect we will be going back as DH was very taken with it.

Back in time for my piano lesson but apart from that I haven't been spending. DH paid for lunch and the art gallery we went to afterwards.

We went for a run before tea: I am so unfit! It must be about four weeks since I've run. I could manage 2K... a few weeks ago I ran 10!

I've also taken inspiration from parsniphead and had an attack of decluttering though none of it's yet left the house. I have sorted a few items to go to Mum's old house for my sister to pick up and found a couple of items of clothing I probably won't wear again for the charity shop.

Spends:
    Piano lesson £10.00
    MS stuff:
    Seen a recipe for tomato bread (1 tin of tomato soup and 250g SR flour. Bake for an hour or however long it takes, and can be done in slow cooker) - which should be cheap and easy and is apparently delicious.
    Lunch was so filling we didn't have dinner tonight, just a sandwich so I have ingredients in for tomorrow.

• WannabeFree
    Options
    Sounds like a lovely day Cherry

I am loving this weather. Early light is good too! The longer days are coming
    x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback