Cherry takes the reins

Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,228 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well, the bread may be back on the shelves, and the delayed items for the pharmacy arrived this morning, but there now appears to be a shortage of frozen veg.

I went for a walk with friends this morning and had lunch out: there was definitely warmth in the sun that increased as the day went on! The car registered 10C as the out of doors temp - quite something when it was below freezing not so long ago. Even the guinea pig benefitted from several hours out in the garden. I did doze for while when I got in... I felt I needed it though the walk wasn't strenuous. Perhaps I just need to check if I'm getting enough sleep at night, which I doubt.

Dinner tonight was bits and pieces from the fridge and freezer. DH and DS had put the new element in the oven while I was out and the wallpapering had progressed in the lounge, but as usual the fridge and freezer were overflowing. Tonight I'm trying to turn a couple of pints of milk into yogurt. I've always managed to kill the poor yogurt when I've tried it in the past but I think that was due to overheating the live culture. This time I'm using a thermometer and I won't do anything to try to make it warmer once it's mixed: just a lid on the pan and wrap the lot in towels. I reckon once it's started to turn it may progress more slowly as the temperature falls but it won't kill it - after all live yogurt is usually kept in a fridge.

Not too expensive a day today though two meals out in two days is rather a lot and there's another tomorrow!

MS stuff:
    Attempted to make yogurt.
    Dinner from leftovers.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Day off number three: usually I'd have been over working on Mum's house but didn't think I had long enough this time around as I had arranged to go walking with friends yesterday and was originally on a training course too (now postponed). As consequence I had a relaxing morning yesterday but am short of sleep. I think that's a mental heath issue but I haven't got to the bottom of it. I sleep well once I'm asleep but definitely avoid getting to that point.

Anyway, I think I will feel better if I can focus enough to get some jobs done. We are going out for a family meal later and I'm worrying in case anyone comes back to the house as it's a disgrace and I really don't know where to start. This morning's snow has melted and it's nice out so that's a bonus.

I suspect a visit to the dentist is called for: a tooth has gone suddeny achey but it could be blocked sinuses so I keep putting it off. Dentists are costly and I don't feel sure of the new one since my best-ever dentist left to go abroad!

I also have more to do at work than I have opportunity to do, so I may just email my manager and point out I'm not getting any computer time and can I be paid to do some of the work at home? Unfortunately we don't get work laptops and most of the admin is confidential and can't go on my home computer. Oh, and my increment depends on getting it done in the next few weeks, during which I also have to take my remaining leave... not huge amounts but difficult to fit in while everyone else is doing the same. I've spoken to my manager about carrying some over but he's being a bit non-committal despite my pointing out that some of it had been booked and I'd cancelled it and covered a shift that wasn't getting picked up. I'm not even going to get computer time to send in my timesheets, but I can do that from home.

And breathe.

So: jobs I want to get done today to convince the family (should they come here at all!) that I am an Organised Housewife. :D
    rehydrate
    Finish doing my makeup
    get shoes on
    Unpack my backpack
    open lounge curtains!
    Put laundry on the line
    ironing
    wash up
    make one more batch of yogurt to use up the milk that went OOD yesterday
    clean fridge
    clean oven shelves (job started yesterday then had to go out for supplies)
    Clean bathroom
    Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    Email manager?

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The work thing sounds frustrating, can you email your manager a confirmation of the discussion so you have a record if you need it later? Sorry - bossy HR head on.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    1pm update

Jobs I want to get done today to convince the family (should they come here at all!) that I am an Organised Housewife.
    [STRIKE]rehydrate[/STRIKE]
    Finish doing my makeup
    [STRIKE]get shoes on[/STRIKE]
    Unpack my backpack
    [STRIKE]open lounge curtains![/STRIKE]
    Put laundry on the line
    ironing
    wash up
    make one more batch of yogurt to use up the milk that went OOD yesterday
    clean fridge
    Clean bathroom
    Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    Email manager?

Dh has just texted with some admin stuff he's doing for Mum's house which is comforting. He also suggested I email my manager.

A few little jobs half done and a lot I could add to the list but I'll save that till some of these are out of the way.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    The work thing sounds frustrating, can you email your manager a confirmation of the discussion so you have a record if you need it later? Sorry - bossy HR head on.

Bossy HR head very welcome! :D Thanks for this, I've just drafted an email to him and sent a copy to DH for advice (he's a manager elsewhere in the same organisation so he knows the policies etc).

Right - back to housework!

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    3pm update

Jobs I want to get done today to convince the family (should they come here at all!) that I am an Organised Housewife.
    [STRIKE]Finish doing my makeup[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Unpack my backpack[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Put laundry on the line[/STRIKE]
    ironing
    [STRIKE]wash up[/STRIKE]
    make one more batch of yogurt to use up the milk that went OOD yesterday - just waiting for the milk to cool
    clean fridge - started
    Clean bathroom
    Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    Email manager? - draft written

Also done - tidied away random laundry, set dishwasher off, had more coffee. Things do seem to take longer than they should!

A few little jobs half done and a lot I could add to the list but I'll save that till some of these are out of the way.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    End of the day update

ironing
    [STRIKE]make one more batch of yogurt to use up the milk that went OOD yesterday
    [/STRIKE]clean fridge - started
    [STRIKE]clean oven shelves (job started yesterday then had to go out for supplies)
    [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Clean bathroom
    [/STRIKE]Do January timesheet
    Do February time sheet
    [STRIKE]Email manager[/STRIKE]

The smell of cleaning fluids was going to my head after that so I went out to the shops (£ shop oven cleaner and a couple of birthday cards), had a text from DH who was coming out of work and met him in town. Bent his ear about work all the way home!

We had a lovely meal out with the extended family and no one came to inspect the [STRIKE]tip[/STRIKE] sparkling house so I need not have worried.

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy belated birthday Cherry,I hope your tooth isnt giving you any more problems,Ive been doing the house today too,it looked lovely until DD boyfriend came home,he is so untidy it drives me mad,I told him off so he tidied up,he will be moving out in September as he is going to uni so I will get some respite then,I will miss him as he is a nice lad,I just wish he would tidy up after himself
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    ,I will miss him as he is a nice lad,I just wish he would tidy up after himself
    My son completely tidied his room the other day so there is hope... I did ask if he'd help me do mine but he has too much sense to fall for a bit of flattery. :)

Nearly didn't spend anything today but 99p has gone on an ebook: just light fiction to help me wind down. I had been getting into A Series of Unfortunate Events but ended up rather drawn into the gloom of it all!

Work went unexpectedly well - I'm very grateful. Yesterday's email has been acted on! I have to organise myself now to be seen to be making the most of computer access, and I also have permission to work from home for some aspects of it - not something that's possible for most of my job. In addition, leave days have been identified and cover found. :) Now all I have to do is remember to book them. :o Oh, and a meeting I have to arrange that was worrying me... I now have the opportunity to sit in on something very similar in a few weeks which should give me an introduction to the people concerned and some more insight into the situation without the onus being on me. Phew!

I still haven't sorted my timesheets but I finished an online course and followed up some emails so I am probably square-eyed from so much computer work!

So that was all wonderful. :) I came home to find DH hadn't had such a good day so we had a chat... hopefully I helped a bit but it's one of those things you have to sleep on and see how you feel the next day.

Oh, and something that could be rather costly: I've booked that dental appointment. The tooth is fine as long as I don't bite on it - which reminds me my previous dentist told me I have a very fine crack in that tooth which hurts if pressure is applied, so I suspect it's got worse.

I had better come off the computer soon and let my eyes return to their usual shape... have a good weekend everyone.

• moneyonmymindsam
    Options
    I have read some of your diary and this time last year you

Found 5p down the sofa !! I loved your enthusiasm there. it really made me smile so thank you for being you.

Hope your weekend is a good one.

Sam x
    Grocery challenge Feb £107/£100-epic fail due to cake and biscuits
    🌟
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills