We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great Teaching Resources Hunt

Options

Comments

• Cinders2001
    Cinders2001 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the link.
    Always on the look out for more!
    ** Freebies and money saved with the help of you all? - Don't know ....lost count! **
    ** Stay Safe **
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://www.mathsisfun.com

just came across this site when I was looking for an easy explanation of how to multiply negative numbers. looks like a very useful site for supporting maths as it gives a simple visual explanation and has links to activities and worksheets.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    edited 30 November 2009 at 11:32AM
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm a teacher currently working in Nepal and I'm looking for a free online translation tool, from English to Nepali and English to Tibetan. If anyone knows of anything I'd really appreciate it. I'll also come back and add some useful websites at some point, things are a little crazy busy right now!

Many thanks x

Cinders2001, what's Somerset Swaps and Loans? I live in Somerset normally too so could be interested...
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just found this thread and thought someone might find this site useful.
    We use it for maths and reading comprehension. Doing the assesment test at the beginning allowed us to see where ds1 had weaknesses in maths and the program was automatically set up to help with that. He was below grade for maths but above for reading comprehension. There is also a reading program but we don't need that.
  • conradmum
    conradmum Posts: 5,018 Forumite
    Options
    My son came home from school with his username and password to this site

https://www.mathletics.com

It's an international site developed to teach children numeracy in a fun-filled, interactive way. Children get credits for completing tasks correctly which they can then spend in a shop to buy various accessories for their avatar. They also get certficates if they achieve a certain amount of points each week. There's a table of the highest UK and international achievers day by day. The children can also connect with children in other countries to race each other.

All in all, it's great fun. My son loves it and doesn't realise that he's learning - he thinks he's playing games!

It is a subscription site. I don't know how much it is as the school paid, but we did subscribe to its sister site 'Spellodrome' and that was 20 pounds for a year. If the school doesn't renew the Mathletics subscription I will definitely pay for it myself as I think it's brilliant and suits my son's learning styles very well.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.progressivephonics.com/
    This site has printable books and worksheets. I used the old site for my ds3. The original books were great for building confidence. It is best viewed in firefox.
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We've been studying the solar system and DD1 was fascinated by the idea that Pluto was "demoted" from being a planet in 2006!

while googling for more info we found a great series on YouTube called "ask an astronomer" - short films aimed at children that explain aspects of astronomy in a simple way but without dumbing down.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    I came across this, to help children build up their speed on times tables.

http://www.madmaxmaths.net/games/tablesspeedtest/times%20tables%20speed%20test.html

Hope it's useful to someone :)
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    conradmum wrote: »
    My son came home from school with his username and password to this site

www.mathletics.com

It's an international site developed to teach children numeracy in a fun-filled, interactive way. Children get credits for completing tasks correctly which they can then spend in a shop to buy various accessories for their avatar. They also get certficates if they achieve a certain amount of points each week. There's a table of the highest UK and international achievers day by day. The children can also connect with children in other countries to race each other.

All in all, it's great fun. My son loves it and doesn't realise that he's learning - he thinks he's playing games!

It is a subscription site. I don't know how much it is as the school paid, but we did subscribe to its sister site 'Spellodrome' and that was 20 pounds for a year. If the school doesn't renew the Mathletics subscription I will definitely pay for it myself as I think it's brilliant and suits my son's learning styles very well.

I read something the other day about mathletics offering membership to home educators for £10 per year. The usual price is £39.

This is definitely something I'm looking into.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • darlotaximum
    Options
    promo code for mathletics . co . uk is homed2010 for anyone who wants it. Reduces subscription from £39 to £10 for the year i use this for my son 6 who only attends school 2hours a day and does the rest at home. He is begging to go on it and do his maths. The best part is the parent login where you can set specific parts to complete before the play the games or play online.

If anyone knows of a promo code for spellodrome I would be grateful :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure