We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Great Teaching Resources Hunt

Options

Comments

• Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    83rachel wrote: »
    Now i have my new printer i can start to actually print these sheets for the kids :) yay

i spent about a week perusing sites that i actually wanted to print stuff off and printed like a mad woman. i now have a stack of various items for use when we travel or don't feel great. it means lessons still get done but we don't have to be at the computer for them (though we both prefer online resources)

my wee one is going to her grans (who has no internet) for about 5 days so i'm sending a selection of these pre printed worksheets with her to do while she's there, makes gran feel better about 'this entire home education thing' and also gives her something to do when gran gets tired :p
  • 83rachel
    83rachel Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    i actually have quite alot now, just for those days where they dont feel like going to the farm or woods etc. I am beginning to see a real difference int eh kids they actually want to learn now. what a breath of fresh air they must be becoming unschooled :)
  • 83rachel
    Options
    Don't forget to book for National Schools Film Week chaps!

As Home Schoolers you are just as entitled to the Free Film as the mainstream schools.
    Go to http://www.nsfw.org/index.php for details and click on Booking at the bottom.

just reminding you all that the film week is next week so if you havent signed up already the link is above :)
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    83rachel wrote: »
    just reminding you all that the film week is next week so if you havent signed up already the link is above :)

we managed to secure a free place to see coraline via the nsfw offer and will then use some vouchers i came across to get us cheap entry into dundee's science center... might even do a spot of shopping if i'm still feeling up to it, can't wait :T
  • 83rachel
    Options
    sounds like fun confuzzled, Could you let me know if the science center is any good please, we went to the national museum on friday but the kids didnt get much out of it because there too young to understand it.

Were going on friday to see wish upon a star, that reminds me i should download the lesson pack before then
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    confuzzled - just wanted to say a big thanks for all those links! not sure where to start but thank you. it's also nice to know there are some more home edders out there!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • righter
    righter Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    We are educating T aged 14 (going on 40 !)

we use open learn(free units with OU)

try https://www.ted.com for loads of very interesting mini lectures.

she is doing introduction to psychology with Berkley university USA (all video lectures free online)

Philosophy as above but with Yale...really very good

we use you tube for old tv progs, watching john Berger`s "ways of seeing" at the moment.

must recommend...though not free,but reasonable, Cambridge Latin course.

Goldsmiths of london have lectures available too.

The problem is...too much stuff available,its not even the case of sorting the wheat from the chaff,as there is so much good stuff out there.
  • righter
    Options
    http://www.rogerdarlington.me.uk/Britishpoliticalsystem.html for an introduction to politics and other interesting essays.
    we are using http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ to explore fallacies,as we actively teach critical thinking skills...something most schools fail to do.
  • righter
    Options
    oh and radio four,and we watch some progs on iplayer
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just discovered a very useful website - apologies if it's been listed earlier, I couldn't see it there.

https://www.learner.org/interactives

this site has modules on various subjects that explain, illustrate and then test your understanding of what you've learned. it's similar to the way bbc bitesize explains things but seems more specific and detailed.

I'd been looking for ages for a resource to explain plate tectonics, and have finally found it on this site. is it me or do other people find geography resources harder to locate? maybe it's because geography often crosses over with other subjects so it's less clearly defined. so (hint hint) if you have any great geography websites, don't keep them to yourself!
    weaving through the chaos...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport