Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is my gas still on SSE Ebico or is it now on RHE Ebico, or just plain old SSE? Who knows...

Did you ask Ebico to switch you over to RHE, did you send Ebico switching meter readings and have you had a letter from them confirming you have been switched? If so you are with Ebico/RHE.

If you did nothing, opted out, or your switch is not completed then you'll be with SSE on the Ebico tariff which will be replaced by SSE Zero.

If you still aren't sure, then wait for your next bill. If it says 'SSE' at the top and your electricity prices (if you also have electricity with them) have gone up by about 20% from tomorrow (28 April) then you can be sure you are with SSE.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Is my gas still on SSE Ebico or is it now on RHE Ebico, or just plain old SSE? Who knows...

Lee, if you did nothing you will still be on SSE, as EachPenny says. SSE has cut it's ties with Ebico.

If you want to move to Ebico/RHE you need to tell them, and send them a meter reading. You can do this through their web site.

You need to check the tariffs on both sites to see which offers the best deals for you. Then make your decision who you want to be with.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    EachPenny wrote: »
    It is still an anecdote and doesn't mean very much. With those figures you are talking about an increase of about 22%. Very few customers on SVT will not have experienced increases of around that size in the last 12 months. Ebico have reduced their non-PPM SVT and frozen the price until 1 December 2017.

You've said several times that Ebico are as expensive if not more expensive than other suppliers such as BG. You've also stated your views on Ebico and RHE which are anything but positive. In the circumstances how on earth can you say you shouldn't have left Ebico?

All whitelabel companies will be influenced by their supply partner, it is a contractural relationship and in some cases a very small company operating with a much larger (i.e. influential) partner. We don't know the full facts but it is reasonable to speculate that the influence of Ebico's previous supply partner has something to do with the changes we have seen since the New Year. It's life.

Everybody would be well advised to look at multiple price comparisons before signing up with any supplier. 'Not for profit' and 'Ethical' do not mean cheapest. It is a way of doing business, for which some people are willing to pay a premium, and some will find offers them the cheapest deal overall.

Some people have complained of a whopping 63% increase.

https://www.facebook.com/MoneySavingExpert/posts/1256019291119222

Only 17% - try Robin Hood increase in our tariff by 63% only last week, having been with them for less than a month - wholesale energy cost to blame - piffle

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/energy/2017/03/robin-hood-energy-hits-customers-with-17-hike-in-standard-dual-fuel-prices

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/robinhoodenergy.co.uk
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Michaelw wrote: »
    Some people have complained of a whopping 63% increase.

One of the things people should know about statistics is always beware of percentages. Always look at the underlying figures to understand the context of the percentage increase.

The quoted example gives an increase from 11.82p per kWh to 19.28p per kWh, it doesn't say whether these are VAT inclusive, nor what the standing charges are.

If VAT has to be added, the higher price becomes 20.24p per kWh.

Whether 19.28p or 20.24p these prices are hardly extortionate compared to prices being charged by others. Yes, it looks like a large percentage increase, but it is from a very low base.

If I'd stayed with SSE, my day electricity unit price would be increasing in 40 mins time from 21.42p to 25.59p (incl VAT).

That's only a 19.5% increase. So SSE are the 'good guys' because Robin Hood increased their prices by more than three times as much... Booo! Hssssss!

But look again at the actual prices, not the percentages. They aren't directly comparable, but 19.28p (or 20.24p) is still a lot cheaper than 25.59p. 'But how can that be' you say - RHE put their prices up by a whopping 63%, they must be more expensive.

That is why you should always beware of percentages and look at the underlying numbers to understand the context.
  • BillTee
    BillTee Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Now had to transfer to another energy company to avoid the standing charge.

Hi Checker, to which alternative to Ebico SSE or RHE did you switch? ..I've found it difficult to find a list of other suppliers with zero charge - all the comparison sites (including on MSE) make you submit your details and give you the results of their calc. I would like a straight list so that I could then visit each supplier and get their actual tariff, rather than telling me how much they think that I will save.
  • EachPenny
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BillTee wrote: »
    I would like a straight list so that I could then visit each supplier and get their actual tariff, rather than telling me how much they think that I will save.

I'd be interested in that too. The MSE article on zero standing charge looks rather out of date.

I'm expecting prices to go up significantly when the Ebico 'fix' until December runs out. When I originally switched to Ebico most of the other providers had standing charges of 20p or more per day per energy. I've noticed some deals recently where the standing charge is much lower, not zero, but at a level where the maths might mean a low standing charge comes out better than zero.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Gocompare gave with British Gas prepayment.

There is no cheaper tariff we can help you switch to

Any increase in prepayment will likely bring people into the imposed cap until 2020.

I cannot see any zero tarriff prepayment on offer currently.Those that did have now imposed one.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BillTee wrote: »
    Now had to transfer to another energy company to avoid the standing charge.

Hi Checker, to which alternative to Ebico SSE or RHE did you switch? ..I've found it difficult to find a list of other suppliers with zero charge - all the comparison sites (including on MSE) make you submit your details and give you the results of their calc. I would like a straight list so that I could then visit each supplier and get their actual tariff, rather than telling me how much they think that I will save.
    EachPenny wrote: »
    I'd be interested in that too. The MSE article on zero standing charge looks rather out of date.

I'm expecting prices to go up significantly when the Ebico 'fix' until December runs out. When I originally switched to Ebico most of the other providers had standing charges of 20p or more per day per energy. I've noticed some deals recently where the standing charge is much lower, not zero, but at a level where the maths might mean a low standing charge comes out better than zero.

Consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you.

A zero standing charge tariff may not necessarily be the cheapest tariff for you, but whatever is cheapest for you will be at the top of the list :)
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 April 2017 at 2:35PM
    Options
    The letter from Ebico quoted in OP says

"Ebico Zero, available to our credit customers, is offered alongside our new Ebico PrePay energy plan. Ebico PrePay, with a standing charge of 25p per day per fuel, is 8.5% cheaper than EquiGas / EquiPower for a customer with an average2 level of household energy use, is also price-guaranteed until December 2017, and is exclusive to pay-as-you-go customers."

So its hardly true that you weren't made aware of the SC for PAYG customers?

To be fair, there was actually a thread specifically about the introduction of the Ebico/RHE Prepay tariff when it was launched.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593111

That too also declared there was a daily standing charge applicable.
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have finally received an electricity bill. Inspite of their own operative taking a reading and me submitting one they have sent an estimated bill and 30 units more than the actual reading.
    Free thinker.:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport