Which older games do you wish they'd remaster and bring to new consoles?

Options
Jlawson118
Jlawson118 Posts: 1,132 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 8 February 2017 at 1:10AM in Gaming MoneySaving
For me there's The Simpsons Hit & Run and Need For Speed Underground 2!

They pretty much sum my childhood up. Need For Speed gets a little bit repetitive but it is forever the best one they ever made in my opinion. The choice of cars, the open world, the lights and music, it just draws you in so much!
And The Simpsons Hit & Run, I think it's one of my most memorable games as a kid. I wish they'd have released another one. I enjoyed The Simpsons Game for Nintendo DS but could never get into the PlayStation version. I played Hit & Run again for a bit of fun for YouTube a few years ago, and a year later I got tens of thousands of views on them out of nowhere.

What games would you love to see remastered? And why? :)

Comments

• Chickabiddybex
    Options
    This is so unlikely but True Crime NYC. I am just desperate for a good cop game!

SSX Tricky. I loved this game. They need to bring it back - and make sure there's a 2 player split screen option.

GTA: San Andreas. This would be so easy for Rockstar, they could just mash together Red Dead Redemption and GTAV. Ok it's probably not that easy at all, but damn I miss CJ!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Second_Account
    Options
    If you enjoy the original version of the game then why not just play it again, it doesn't have to remastered to be able to enjoy it.

I've recently completed the original Tomb Raider on PC which was released 21 years ago and its the first time i have played it all the way through ;)
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    If you enjoy the original version of the game then why not just play it again, it doesn't have to remastered to be able to enjoy it.

I've recently completed the original Tomb Raider on PC which was released 21 years ago and its the first time i have played it all the way through ;)

I do! I've specifically kept my PS2 to play these games :)
  • parking_question_chap
    Options

I agree with this, part of the fun is about playing games from your youth, exactly how they were, if they are remastered with better graphics and gameplay it takes away from that experience.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I only completed GTA San Andreas recently! They've released it on Android (and I'm sure, iOS) if you want to play it again on the move, with a few optimisations for mobile devices.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

In many cases that isn't either possible or it's simply not viable, I fancied playing the original Frequency and Amplitude which first meant digging out an old PS2 as I only have current consoles set up permanently and then using an analogue component connection which isn't on most TV's now. However I then hit a bigger problem, the games were designed for CRTs and have no lag compensation settings like later rhythm games so the timing was way out on the HDTV. Even with the TV set to its quickest response and as much processing disabled, the timing was too far out to play the game so I had to give up :(

I'd happily pay to have that sort of game remastered so I could play the game on a current system even if it did work properly it would save me having to dig out an older console and set it up.

Then there's other games which were extremely ambitious and what they wanted to do was beyond the technology at the time. The number one game I'd want remastered is Tie Fighter which very much fits into this category. It was a PC game released in the early 90's with a superb storyline and complex simulator like gameplay but while its graphics were cutting edge in the day they were still very basic. It was fully 3D which was new at the time but there was no texturing so everything was just flat shaded with very low poly counts. With current technology the game could look superb and there's even more exciting possibilities using VR, unfortunately since that series of games finished the Star Wars franchise has gone for much simpler arcadey games so there's not been anything Star Wars like it since.

John
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    I agree with this, part of the fun is about playing games from your youth, exactly how they were, if they are remastered with better graphics and gameplay it takes away from that experience.

Well that's true. I mean they did try to bring back Need For Speed Underground 2 with their latest edition, and I have to admit that the graphics are absolutely stunning, but the gameplay just wasn't the same..
  • Jlawson118
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    I only completed GTA San Andreas recently! They've released it on Android (and I'm sure, iOS) if you want to play it again on the move, with a few optimisations for mobile devices.

I've played GTA 3 on my iPad for years. Was the first time I'd ever really played it actually, then I bought it for my PS2 and couldn't get to grips with the controls for it :rotfl: I did buy the PS4 edition to try and do a YouTube series with it last Summer but it didn't work out for me. Capture card problems :(
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    I don't think all originals need a remake - sometimes I play old games on old consoles. And some are so old I don't think they should change. They have their own charm. But there's this one period of gaming where the games started to be about how they looked. And the huge open environments. But technology wasn't up to it yet.

I just think with the technology we have now we could make San Andreas better. Keep it the same story etc, but make it better looking, make the draw distance longer, make the city more alive!

Look what the modding community have been able to do to GTA IV https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o-ojTM6tCE

It doesn't change much about the game itself, just looks better. I'd really like that. Because the old school graphics aren't stylised like in retro games. They're just sub-par.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • wapow
    wapow Posts: 939 Forumite
    Options
    Amiga - Strip Poker
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business