Options

Comments

• Lauralozzle
    Lauralozzle Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February 2017 at 4:57PM
    Options
    Another fantastic post Abundant

The Sirens caught me yesterday - coffee and a muffin £5.00 spent on crap! :eek: What's worse is I hadn't planned it - had arranged with the OH to finish work at five but he got caught there - 45 minutes later. I was waiting outside and it was very cold and I wanted something warm to drink! Epic fail on my part when I really don't have a lot of 'spending money'.

On the plus side Thursday was a NSD. Think I'm at 4/15. Only eleven more to go which is doable. Don't plan on spending anything today, it's wet, cold and miserable outside so might just stay in and relax (after the housework is done).

Edit: Scratch that. Picked up delivery from Asda and topped up on sandwich stuff for next week. Tomorrow will be a NSD though as we don't need anything else now. Spent just over £20 out of rations budget which is now sitting at £124.18/£300.

I've been a little under the weather the past two days which is why I've not posted. I'm feeling better today though. Tom's doing over time tomorrow (yey) which works out at double time and a half!!! Pity that Mr Tax Man gets it all though!!!

1) I'm grateful that I'm feeling a bit better today
    2) I'm grateful for a relatively tidy cabin so tidying it up today shouldn't take too long
    3) I'm grateful fir the huge 10kg bag of dog granules that we got the other week because we won't have to buy anymore for at least two months!!!!!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Marmalade and jams I can cope with, but I have about 15 jars of chutney from m-i-l in The Pantry that nobody wants to eat..... any suggestions on what to do to disguise chutney as an edible foodstuff? we don't do meat or cheese, so we only use it with curries. As far as we are concerned it is taking up valuable olive storage space.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    Marmalade and jams I can cope with, but I have about 15 jars of chutney from m-i-l in The Pantry that nobody wants to eat..... any suggestions on what to do to disguise chutney as an edible foodstuff? we don't do meat or cheese, so we only use it with curries. As far as we are concerned it is taking up valuable olive storage space.

Put it on pizza or in pasties?

I also make a sausage casserole in the slow cooker (works with both meat or veggie sausages) that uses a few tablespoons of chutney in the sauce, its DH favourite.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I use chutney as an alternative to tomato paste on a pizza. Onion chutney is lovely with goats cheese and wilted spinach.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options

I love chutney and am sadly bereft of it at the mo (although have about 2 dozen jars of HM strawberry jam) - I put it in things - if you have a tomato based one they work well in chilli/ curry - few tbsp. thrown in each time will see the amount go down. 'Sausage' rolls made with a spoonful of chutney all along the top of the 'sausage stuff' before the pastry is wrapped around. In sandwiches/ wraps. On crackers (by itself works for me :D). In casseroles to add a twist of flavour - virtually any chutney will work
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • SkintTeacher
    Options
    What a timely reminder to spend time on ourselves!

Today I have had an early morning run and bath.

Off to have my hair and makeup trial midday followed by meal out and cinema trip with my boys this evening :)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Amazing post Abundant. It's really kind of you to take the time to address us individually. Thank you for the advice re our naughty tortie and her extravagant veterinary habit. She has to go back again next week but at least I'm prepared for that.
    I'm in the process of trying to meal plan with the kids and start to save some money on groceries. It's one of the things I can fall out of the habit of doing very quickly unfortunately. I've added grocery spends into my signature so hoping that I will get back on track very soon.
    As for doing something for myself, I am going to look forward to that. Sensing another PJ day coming on...
    You enjoy your weekend away, the ship is in good hands.
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 February 2017 at 11:16AM
    Options
    Hi everyone

Great suggestions for chutney usage, I have a few jars and only use it with cheese, but not now!!!!! Love it.

Didn't leave the house yesterday, had another crafting day, I lose myself up in my craft room and the day just flies by, I have been doing some cards, some folk art painting (trying to anyway, I would love to be able to draw and paint but it looks like a one year old has done it, so folk art is the way to go for me I think).

It's been snowing here and as I live up a hill I think another day staying in is called for, I went shopping the other day and have enough in to last a couple of days, well the freezer and cupboards would last me a few weeks if the truth be told - naughty Nanny I'm a food hoarder but not a 'thing' hoarder just food!

I must go to the allotment next week when the weather improves and have a good tidy down there. I have all my seeds so need to bring some trays and small pots back in preparation for planting.

Nothing else happening, I have finished the night shift for the time being as I seem to be sleeping better at night so I'm looking forwards to shore leave and I have promised to meet a friend for coffee in the city next week, I just need to keep out of the fabric shop!!!!

I'm not really organised, I'm making Xmas cards because I'm new to card making and I need a reason for making them, but this year I want to make most of the presents as well, I can hear my girls groaning because I have suggested we all do it and they all work full time and have small children but wanting to indulge their old mum they have agreed!!

What another excellent post abundant, have a lovely break with your family, I'm not that far from Manchester (about 1hr) and its cold up here. Snow has now stopped.

Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas for cooked chicken. Will be starting off with a chicken pie next week. Also chutney suggestions are very timely. We have dozens (and I mean dozens) of jars because C couldn't stop buying them. He's been cured of the habit because we've run out of space. Pork chops or diced pork is very nice cooked in cider with apple or fruit chutney stirred into it. Not very helpful if you don't eat meat, Foxholes, but someone might like to try it.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I love my Tardis pantry, it even houses our condenser dryer. The thing is BRILLIANT! DS1 suggested we call it the Tar-try. Vetoed. He now calls it The Cupboard of Wonders.
    It seems quite a few of us are chutney hoarders, and it is a good idea to clear the decks before growing season starts again.
    Great suggestions, by the way, I will be trying the tomato based chutneys in my tomato soup and a chili that I have planned for this weekend. I had got stuck on the idea of it being either for a curry, or with crackers. Off to experiment......
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport