edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
2K replies 153.4K views

Replies

• Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Busy_Mee said:
    Hi SL. It is very disconcerting when your money disappears into the ether when regular savers mature. Will you be setting up another ? The rates are so poor now, I don't think I will bother.

We will be painting all the kitchen cupboards in DDs new kitchen. They are currently a light wood colour and we are painting them grey and putting new handles on. It should look like a new kitchen. We are just debating what to do about the tiles. We were going to paint them, but are now debating taking them off and retiling. 
    You could just cover the tiles as an interim thing. You can buy 3mm plastic sheets (like thin shower board) from B&Q and cut to size, sticking it on the tiles as a wipe-clean splashback. Not behind the hob though. We got that fabricated by a local stainless steel place. Goes well with grey base units and white wall cupboards

Save £12k in 2020 - (#20) £7,085.43/£5k 141.7%
    Save £12k in 2021 - #26 aiming for £7,500 - £1,892.44 25.23% after Feb
    OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £770.08/£3k 25.67% annual after March (+£500 contingency)
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That *is* a nightmare!  I'd no idea that there were annual costs of thatching like that.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
  • trix-a-belletrix-a-belle Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Preaching to the choir here with insurance SL but OUCH at that price! Unfortunately its a computer says no situation, I get it too as I work from home but as its not sit down admin type work with a phone and laptop computer says no. Its ridiculous as someone doing the same as a hobby would have all the same aspects with less awareness of storage and safety but not get crippled on their insurance as no one gets asked what they do in their spare time for home insurance. I'm very careful not to have customers come here as that would push it up to astronomic levels & despite it just being me, a sewing machine, hammer & tacks, staple gun & a pair of scissors insurers seem to constantly try and lump me in with hot works risks like welding. & I even have separate business insurance for the equipment & materials.

Has DH tried Sketchup for drawing up plans? to save buying another license, its free online, I see quite a few people recommend it on other forums I frequent
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
    MFiT-T5 knocking down the mortgage to be freeee
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Preaching to the choir here with insurance SL but OUCH at that price! Unfortunately its a computer says no situation, I get it too as I work from home but as its not sit down admin type work with a phone and laptop computer says no. Its ridiculous as someone doing the same as a hobby would have all the same aspects with less awareness of storage and safety but not get crippled on their insurance as no one gets asked what they do in their spare time for home insurance. I'm very careful not to have customers come here as that would push it up to astronomic levels & despite it just being me, a sewing machine, hammer & tacks, staple gun & a pair of scissors insurers seem to constantly try and lump me in with hot works risks like welding. & I even have separate business insurance for the equipment & materials.

Has DH tried Sketchup for drawing up plans? to save buying another license, its free online, I see quite a few people recommend it on other forums I frequent
    That is the one he is struggling with. It stopped evolving as a surface modeller whereas as a professional engineer in automotive (also aeronautic) engineering, the tools are all solid modellers and so that is the way he is used to thinking and conveying. Sketchup is the previous generation - and fine if that is your level of expectation but not for him (reverse engineering his thinking to use it is winding him up)

OS Grocery Challenge 2021 target £770.08/£3k 25.67% annual after March (+£500 contingency)
  • debtfreeonedaydebtfreeoneday Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn’t know about thatched either. I’d expect it to be more but ouch!!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £61,996.97
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm! I did an insurance comparison on one of the sites that say their insurers do it - one response. £2955.15.

However, my existing insurer has not updated the things I changed last year which makes me think they just gave me a load of bull when I spoke to them. I rang yesterday and they were going to call me back in the afternoon but did not do so. They will find out how unimpressed I am with that service later today...

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck with that.  The only insurers I've ever found to be reliable are Towergate, who I insured with via my professional organisation (I had clients visiting me at home, of course, via the counselling and therapy) and Royal Insurance - back in the day, at least, their claims systems were second to none.  Which I found out when my house flooded.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
    5.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had the first conversation with them yesterday. To reduce the premium  I reduced the value of contents by one third (I have got rid of loads including a collection of apparently valuable handbags I no longer need), changed our employment status to retired and told them we have no mortgage. I also asked not to have two thousand pounds of drone insurance which had been added. I added the e-bikes but described how these are chained to the fabric of the garage and to ground anchors, and the batteries and computer thingy whats are kept separate. We live in a Village where there has been one burglary in the last two years.

In response she suggested the premium would fall by less than five pounds. I asked her to speak to the underwriters and come back with some itemised breakdown as she could not explain this. Apparently there have been some big claims in the last year. I said I have never claimed on my policy and she agreed. So basically, beyond inflation I am pying £200 towards someone else's big claim...

She is calling me back