Electric cars

Options

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I saw a Nissan Leaf being used as a minicab today. How does that work?
    There's a company down in Cornwall that uses them. "fancy a bev mate" on Youtube uses a 40kWh Leaf as a taxi.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I saw a Nissan Leaf being used as a minicab today. How does that work?
    How does it not?! You never see taxi drivers sitting in their car without a fare? They can spend that time charging, if they need to. If it's the newer Leaf, 40kWh, he can drive all day around a city centre without charging. Actually, with heavy enough traffic, even an old 24kWh Leaf could last all day in a congested city.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    How does it not?! You never see taxi drivers sitting in their car without a fare? They can spend that time charging, if they need to. If it's the newer Leaf, 40kWh, he can drive all day around a city centre without charging. Actually, with heavy enough traffic, even an old 24kWh Leaf could last all day in a congested city.
    I didnt realise the batteries were that good. That does make sense, the savings could be huge.
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are loads of Leaf taxis in Edinburgh. Which is fine except when they clog up the charging point you want to use......
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,768 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didnt realise the batteries were that good. That does make sense, the savings could be huge.

The new London taxi's have useable battery capacity similar, and are good for about 80 miles. Apparently the drivers are saving approx £100 per week, and the Mayor recently announced more dedicated fast chargers so they use their range extenders (small 3cyl petrol engines) less.

I suppose 80 miles in London is a lot longer (timewise) than many other places, so also need to factor in all idling times too - though I appreciate ICE stop-start tech can do this too.

Recent Fully Charged episode around this issue.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Average driving speeds in London are apparently about 16.5mph in outer london, 7.4mph in the centre.

So a taxi with an 80 mile range can do about 4-8 hours "driving" on a charge. Neat. Hook that in with charging at taxi ranks and there should be no need to use any fuel unless the fares are leaving the city.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Average driving speeds in London are apparently about 16.5mph in outer london, 7.4mph in the centre.

So a taxi with an 80 mile range can do about 4-8 hours "driving" on a charge. Neat. Hook that in with charging at taxi ranks and there should be no need to use any fuel unless the fares are leaving the city

Yep, clogged up cities are perfect for EVs, and for that kind of taxi work. Fuel not being wasted when stopped and quieter obviously. I've been in the new London EV cabs and they're light years ahead. Apart from the EV bit they're so much more confortable too. When the motor does kick in, it's hard to notice, especially if you're with other traffic. If the drivers are properly motivated, and they are, by, you know, cost, they'll maximise electric use and use the engine for backup, charging during breaks etc. and it looks like London is actually installing infrastructure to do so.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    Options
    almillar wrote: »
    Yep, clogged up cities are perfect for EVs, and for that kind of taxi work. Fuel not being wasted when stopped and quieter obviously. I've been in the new London EV cabs and they're light years ahead. Apart from the EV bit they're so much more confortable too. When the motor does kick in, it's hard to notice, especially if you're with other traffic. If the drivers are properly motivated, and they are, by, you know, cost, they'll maximise electric use and use the engine for backup, charging during breaks etc. and it looks like London is actually installing infrastructure to do so.
    In a typical cab rank, the vehicles move forward every few minutes. How dooes the charging setup cope with that?
  • scott291074
    Options
    Electric cars, if you travel by car to work and do lots of driving are very tax efficient compared to the ordinary gas guzzler vehicles. They are certainly worth looking into in the future and our current vehicles will be gone in the not too near future.

:)
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,336 Forumite
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    In a typical cab rank, the vehicles move forward every few minutes. How dooes the charging setup cope with that?

I don't suppose they will be charging while waiting at a taxi rank.

But taxi drivers need lunch breaks just like anybody else.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback