Electric cars

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,795 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The world is changing. Motor Trend in the US have looked at (what they believe to be) the three best compact luxury sedans, and they included the TM3 .... effectively making it a 'normal car' now as it was reviewed within the segment, not as an EV. Cool.

Tesla Model 3 Rewrites The Rules Of What A Sport Sedan Can Be, Motor Trend Reflects

Fantastic bit of wording that had me laughing out loud:
    The Model 3 looks as if it were designed from the rear going forward and the designers ran out of time before getting to the front.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Also a fun watch graphic of PEV sales in the US showing the growth against time:

Visualization: 2012–2019 US Electric Car Sales (This Is A Must See)
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    The world is changing. Motor Trend in the US have looked at (what they believe to be) the three best compact luxury sedans, and they included the TM3 .... effectively making it a 'normal car' now as it was reviewed within the segment, not as an EV. Cool.

Tesla Model 3 Rewrites The Rules Of What A Sport Sedan Can Be, Motor Trend Reflects
    Why not actually link to the MT article in question, rather than CleanTechnica?

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2018/tesla-model-3-vs-bmw-330i-vs-genesis-g70-comparison-test/
    MotorTrend wrote:
    Although crossover SUVs have invaded the market like a herd of stampeding cattle, there are still plenty of options for those who prefer a lower center of gravity in a traditional three-box shape. ... The luxury sport sedan segment might be down, but it is definitely not out.
    Strange. I'm sure I've been told many times that SUVs and saloons aren't market rivals, so sales cannot be looked at together.

And the intro to the Tesla:
    With the Model 3, Tesla is hell-bent on proving that the electric car is ready to go mainstream. Of course, Tesla has been making a lot of promises lately, and the Model 3 hasn't exactly had the smoothest launch.

It won, too... Although I'm not sure I'd call it a crushing defeat - more on points

From the summary of the second-place car, the Genesis G70 (not sold here, although it may be from 2021 - Genesis is Hyundai-Kia's Lexus-rival premium brand).
    And therein lies the irony with this stellar, award-winning sport sedan. It makes all the right moves and ticks all the right boxes. Through no fault of its own, the G70 represents the pinnacle of a segment … just as that segment is poised to charge in a completely new and uncharted direction.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Sorry Ade. I keep forgetting that you sit there all day waiting for me to post an article so you can have a good ole moan.

I don't mean to neglect you, I just forget how much you need this.

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry Ade. I keep forgetting that you sit there all day waiting for me to post an article so you can have a good ole moan ..
    Hi

I don't even know what the post brings to the table ... it's as if the rising popular acceptance of EVs & ongoing addressing of what may have been genuine concerns (range anxiety etc) has led to a need to establish a new level of irrelevance as a form of excuse to continue a long standing pro-ICE stance ...

For those that spin too much it's not unusual that the end result is simply falling flat on their face ... even the majority of the global automotive industry has recently changed their stance and considerably wound down their anti-position regarding EVs ...

... The times they are a changin'! (very apt. lyrics too if anyone cares to check!)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

I don't even know what the post brings to the table ...

HTH
    Z

As far as I can work out from the 'weird' responses that immediately arrive after any good news ... news I post, I can only assume that we're dealing with an anti-EV (especially Tesla) individual, who is now trapped into a position of simply gnawing at their own wounds.

I'm only surprised that the post didn't include a picture of an unrelated non EV vehicle, explaining that this has already happened.

Anyways, back to the good news, and as I was trying to stress, a BEV was included in a straight 'car' comparison. It compared well on price, excellent on running costs, and performance.

Forget it comes from 'the evil ones' (you need to say that with a witchy type voice to get the joke), and celebrate that BEV's are competing against other cars directly*. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

*Almost, kinda, sorta, like all the BEV owners on here have been saying for years.

zeupater wrote: »
    ... The times they are a changin'! (very apt. lyrics too if anyone cares to check!)

HTH
    Z
    Your old road is
    Rapidly agin'.
    Please get out of the new one
    If you can't lend your hand
    For the times they are a-changin'.

• wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/skoda-reveals-electric-citigo-e-iv-affordable-ev-offering

Could be interesting, if the initial reports of a £15k price and real world 150 mile range are accurate.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/skoda-reveals-electric-citigo-e-iv-affordable-ev-offering

Could be interesting, if the initial reports of a £15k price and real world 150 mile range are accurate.

I saw this on E for Electric yesterday. Suggestions that the real world mileage might be closer to 110-120miles, but WlTP is supposedly closer to real life (I believe?). Anyway, with incentives it could be closer to 10k £'s/$'s/€'s.

That sounded very good to me.

• gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 531 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I saw this on E for Electric yesterday. Suggestions that the real world mileage might be closer to 110-120miles, but WlTP is supposedly closer to real life (I believe?).

All manufacturers are still gaming the system but WTLP is much much better than before, especially compared to NEDC.

You can tell Tesla knows how to play the EPA testes because they are the only manufacturer who has virtually identical EPA and WTLP ratings.

Overall though the Skoda looks good, over 30kWh usable in a small car, should see 120 - 150 miles easy.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »

Very interesting, thank you.
    In our household we have two cars. A very new large 4x4 used for family trips and long distance and an eight year old Fiat 500 used for Town.
    This Fiat is up for changing when a suitable Hybrid or Electric car comes to market.
    Eight years ago the Fiat cost €17,000 and we probably will set a budget for the replacement at below €20,000
    We think (and that is what matters to us) that the Fiat is cool and stylish. Any replacement has to be cool. Sadly the Skoda does not look very cool.
    However in my non technical layman’s eye Hybrid and Electric is cool and I don’t understand why cars in this group do not have LARGE logo’s
    “Everyone” knows Tesla is electric but a tiny E or H on the back of a Skoda means you are just a sensible BORING bloke or Gal.
    Why do you think there is a great big apple on the lid of a MacBook?
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback