Electric cars

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Battery swap's back on again, this week, is it?

Tesla have given up on it. BetterPlace went bust.
    Meanwhile, Ample are having another crack with Shell's money. PowerSwap in Sweden. And now this. Maybe this time...?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,699 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sure. But would it turn something mediocre into the "car of the year", assuming everything's being held to the same standards regardless of power-source?
    They seem to think so, because:
    ut simply, the e-Niro beats its rivals via knockout rather than on points, because it’s the first sensibly priced electric car that can fit into most people’s lives.!
    And I find that hard to argue with. It may not be the best car on a technical basis but it could be the market disruptor.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    They seem to think so, because:
    it’s the first sensibly priced electric car that can fit into most people’s lives.!
    Well, like I said...
    The EV seems to be viewed by both reviewers as pretty damn decent (with a barely-implicit "for an EV").
    And I find that hard to argue with.
    Well, apart from whether £33k+ for a Qashqai-segment car is "sensibly priced" (BMW 5-series starts at £36k, Merc E-class at £37k), are you really agreeing that it's the "first electric car that can fit into most people's lives"...?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,699 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2019 at 8:59AM
    Options
    I am. It's a pretty decent sized family car with a decent range whilst costing pretty normal new car prices. It's what, half what a TM3 will cost?

It's the first EV which overcomes all of the basic barriers to ownership. I doubt it's a great car, as they acknowledge, but I don't doubt it's going to be popular. I'm having a look to see if I can justify ordering one or if I should just wait til they hit they used market.

I don't think you're comparing like for like here either. I can spec a diesel quashqai up to over £33k, so £36k for an electric quashqai doesn't seem bad. I also doubt you'll get am electric 5 series or E class for anything near the price of the base model.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    It's the first EV which overcomes all of the basic barriers to ownership.
    So the Hyundai Kona didn't?

Strange, since it's the same car, just with a different set of panels.
    I don't think you're comparing like for like here either. I can spec a diesel quashqai up to over £33k, so £36k for an electric quashqai doesn't seem bad. I also doubt you'll get am electric 5 series or E class for anything near the price of the base model.
    Well done. You've noticed my point.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

I suspect that at £33k, it's still far too expensive for the majority of new car buyers. It's relatively cheap for an electric car but the price needs to be slashed by at least a third before it's going to tempt the masses.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Meanwhile, the Tesla financials are out.

Another profitable quarter!
    BUT... down to $139m, 10% below expectations leading to a drop in the share price, despite revenue higher than expected (and more than twice Q4 2017 revenue).

Full FY loss, of course, of roughly a billion dollars, about half last year's - but still their second-worst year ever. Cumulative losses over the last four years are around $5bn.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272130/net-loss-of-tesla/
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Meanwhile, the Tesla financials are out.

Another profitable quarter!
    BUT... down to $139m, 10% below expectations leading to a drop in the share price, despite revenue higher than expected (and more than twice Q4 2017 revenue).

Full FY loss, of course, of roughly a billion dollars, about half last year's - but still their second-worst year ever. Cumulative losses over the last four years are around $5bn.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272130/net-loss-of-tesla/

LOL. I thought I'd sit back and wait and see how you'd try to cover up a year+ of negative comments about Tesla now that they are profitable. Only you would try to spin the profitability of a BEV manufacturer as a negative.

First you claimed they wouldn't be profitable in Q3, then you revised your position to argue against profitability in the full year, and now I see you are laying the groundwork for a longer campaign in preparation for more profits, by bringing up the last four years of investment.

Spin, FUD, desperation and nonsense. Such a shame.

I'm sure you will just rinse and repeat your past mistakes as Tesla starts limited MY production this year, before larger scale production in 2020, and the internal sales of the Semi as those start. Perhaps we'll have a Tesla pickup launch too, so you can grace us all with your never right wisdom.

Roll on and out the EV's, if only to shut up the dinosaurs.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Only you would try to spin a full-year loss of a billion dollars as "profitable".

Yes, the half-billion cumulative profit in the second half of the year has helped to cancel out a third of the one-and-a-half-billion cumulative loss in the first half of the year.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only you would try to spin a full-year loss of a billion dollars as "profitable".

Yes, the half-billion cumulative profit in the second half of the year has helped to cancel out a third of the one-and-a-half-billion cumulative loss in the first half of the year.

LOL, I shouldn't, I know, but I do enjoy your desperation. Now you are claiming I've said they are profitable this financial year, or last calendar year ..... how odd. Still, FUD won't make itself up, so I suppose your efforts are needed (in some strange way).

EV's are coming Ade, and profitable EV's at that ....... better start building that bunker. Mind you, you've been digging yourself a huge hole for over a year now, so perhaps all you need is the lid.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback