Electric cars

Options

Comments

• David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    On this thread, you guys are just great! Patently very knowledgeable.

On that basis, would I be correct in thinking that if I wanted a non stop trip to my sisters, in S!!!!horpe, or same condition getting to niece in Northallerton, only a Tesla, and indeed, not the cheapest of that breed, would do it from the all electric field?

Thank God I didn't just post that without saying where I am!!!
    So, 200 miles, or 240 miles!
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    200-240 is possible on one charge in a few of the newer BEVs with the largest available batteries, but you might be getting squeeky-bum syndrome, staring at the remaining range like a hawk, especially in poor weather conditions.

The return trip, without a destination charge? Impossible in anything currently available.

Many here will say that you're irresponsible for even considering not taking a break part-way through the trip, during which you can pay premium rates for a motorway services charger while drinking extortionate indifferent coffee...
  • David_Aston
    First Post
    Options
    Smashing Adrian!
    Yes, I would be planning to charge up at Sis's and Niece's, although as I type this, you may point out that they would have to have some expensive Tesla gizmo at their homes for this to happen?
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I could have sworn that I'd driven 230 miles from my home to a friend's house in my 24kWh Nissan Leaf. OK, I stopped a couple of times to charge (using free electricity as it was then, though I think it would now cost a few ££; didn't buy any expensive coffee or snacks at the service station, just used their (free) toilets. Charging at the other end can be done using the supplied cable that fits into an ordinary 13A socket.

Conclusion: you don't need a fancy and expensive Tesla (though it would be nice!) unless you insist on driving non-stop. Just add an hour to your journey time and save yourself about £50k!
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,699 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Sure. But would it turn something mediocre into the "car of the year", assuming everything's being held to the same standards regardless of power-source?

Did you read the reviews or articles? They seem to explain it pretty well.

Many here will say that you're irresponsible for even considering not taking a break part-way through the trip, during which you can pay premium rates for a motorway services charger while drinking extortionate indifferent coffee...
    240 miles is 3.5 hours assuming a clear run on the motorway at 70mph.

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents recommend a 15 minute break every 2 hours to prevent driving fatigue. Some people can power through, but it's not unreasonable to stop half way to fast charge the car and yourself. Since you'd be saving something like 90% on your fuel you'd be able to treat yourself to a coffee and a donut and still be better off.

Yes, I would be planning to charge up at Sis's and Niece's, although as I type this, you may point out that they would have to have some expensive Tesla gizmo at their homes for this to happen?

You can charge from a bog standard 3-pin wall plug, but naturally it'll take a long longer to do so (finger in the air of 10 hours). Or you can fit a faster charger there (maybe 4-5 hours). Or you could stop at a fast charger and be done in 20-30 minutes.
  • David_Aston
    First Post
    Options
    Never mind coffee or charging up breaks, I have reached the age where it is my bladder which says, STOP!
    Surely, it is not possible to be able to drive onto any of the service stations on the M1, between Sheffield, say, and The Watford Gap, and go straight onto a vacant charging point?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Surely, it is not possible to be able to drive onto any of the service stations on the M1, between Sheffield, say, and The Watford Gap, and go straight onto a vacant charging point?
    There are charging points at services, and they are increasing in number. They may be available and unused.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Did you read the reviews or articles? They seem to explain it pretty well.
    I did, yes. And they didn't.

Especially if you compare the Autocar and What Car tests of the EV.

The EV seems to be viewed by both reviewers as pretty damn decent (with a barely-implicit "for an EV"). The PHEV seems to be viewed by the What Car reviewer as mediocre (without those implicit caveats). Is it really the single best car of the year? Or the best car of the year ("for an EV")?
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Meanwhile in a parallel universe somewhere near you the nay-sayers didn't get a look in:

(This) young company is currently building a sprawling network of battery swap stations throughout China.
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/24/nio-builds-battery-swap-stations-in-china-for-its-electric-vehicles/

...Nio Battery Swap Backed By Active Government...

...China wastes no time nor resources when it comes to moving ahead on cleantech...

...It would take western countries decades of discussions and stumbles to push through the continuous barrage of petroleum and automotive lobbies and achieve the successes China is already implementing...

Apparently the 2,285 km G4 Expressway is already kitted out with a chain of swap stations.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 February 2019 at 6:44PM
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Meanwhile in a parallel universe somewhere near you the nay-sayers didn't get a look in:

(This) young company is currently building a sprawling network of battery swap stations throughout China.

As someone with a London to Singapore bladder who only stops when the petrol tank needs refilling, I wish this model would be more widely adopted.

I'm not holding my breath though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure