PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2017 at 4:07PM
    Options
    CBA again.

So lunch was some crudites with ready-made hummus and a couple of slices of sourdough seedy bread (ditto readymade).

Dinner - probably steamed asparagus, poached eggs, little bit of canned tuna. A couple of sweet potatoes with it I think.

Today's "look around for summat new" in the shops resulted in a packet of dried goldenberries. Never heard of 'em - so into the basket they went and dinner will probably be finished off with a handful of them then and a peach. Probably rice milk to drink to finish.

EDIT; Duh....a quick google later and goldenberries are apparently physalis. Well I know that - and quite partial to that. So I should like the dried version then.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Today I set off on a two mile walk to Tesco and back because they had a few items on offer that I couldn't get cheaper anywhere else. There and no buses that go from here to there. The walk there was a nice pleasant stroll in the warm sunshine. They even had everything in stock that I had wanted. As I walked around clutching my basket always conscious of the weight as I had to carry it all home I felt sure that I hadn't got too much. Well the best ideas and all that...about a mile into the walk home I realised that this shopping really was heavy :( so much so that I was starting to feel ill. My hand and arms started shaking, a sure sign with me of physical exhaustion. At one point I didn't think I would make it home, and I had forgotten my mobile so couldn't phone for a taxi either. I did eventually make it home and had to lie down for a while before I could put the shopping away.

Someone over on the daily thread has suggested a trolley, and I am going to have a look in the shops tomorrow for one. I can walk the two miles no problem but it is the weight of the shopping. Probably wasn't a good idea because of my heart problem!

Anyhow, breakfast was porridge, and I had a main meal at lunch time of some cod, new potatoes and steamed veg and made a parsley sauce to go with it. I had a crumpet for pudding. I am going to have a pastrami sandwich for tea with a choux bun (both y/s in Tesco this morning). There will be pastrami for sandwiches tomorrow as well.

I hope that you are all having a good day.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I decided not to go out - I've other boxes of budget supermarket pain tablets, also out of date... if I need something later.

I did end up cooking my dinner , veggie burger, Jersey royals and beans. That's the end of that tin of beans ... but now I've got Jersey royals as leftovers as it was a 500 gram pack ... and still 1 portion of korma curry cooked 2 days ago in the fridge.
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Today I set off on a two mile walk to Tesco and back because they had a few items on offer that I couldn't get cheaper anywhere else. There and no buses that go from here to there. The walk there was a nice pleasant stroll in the warm sunshine. They even had everything in stock that I had wanted. As I walked around clutching my basket always conscious of the weight as I had to carry it all home I felt sure that I hadn't got too much. Well the best ideas and all that...about a mile into the walk home I realised that this shopping really was heavy :( so much so that I was starting to feel ill. My hand and arms started shaking, a sure sign with me of physical exhaustion. At one point I didn't think I would make it home, and I had forgotten my mobile so couldn't phone for a taxi either. I did eventually make it home and had to lie down for a while before I could put the shopping away.

Someone over on the daily thread has suggested a trolley, and I am going to have a look in the shops tomorrow for one. I can walk the two miles no problem but it is the weight of the shopping. Probably wasn't a good idea because of my heart problem!

Anyhow, breakfast was porridge, and I had a main meal at lunch time of some cod, new potatoes and steamed veg and made a parsley sauce to go with it. I had a crumpet for pudding. I am going to have a pastrami sandwich for tea with a choux bun (both y/s in Tesco this morning). There will be pastrami for sandwiches tomorrow as well.

I hope that you are all having a good day.

Definitely either a trolley or a back pack

Never ever carry shopping home in a bag

I can no longer carry as much as a handbag , I'm 53

Even if I need just two or three things I need to use a trolley in the supermarket , not a basket. I'm fortunate that I've learned to drive so no longer have to carry, but years of carrying heavy shopping miles, has wrecked my back, esp at my neck. Carrying any weight at all gives me pins and needles, numbness, and worse of all, tendinitis which leaves me house bound as I then can't drive
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've a trolley bag on my rollator - it's really handy and takes the strain off of carrying heavy things:) Though as I can't manage shops it's mainly used for moving household stuff.;)

PN- pop your spare spuds in your curry and spinach if you have any. I love spuds and spinach in a curry:D
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Definitely either a trolley or a back pack

Never ever carry shopping home in a bag

I can no longer carry as much as a handbag , I'm 53

Even if I need just two or three things I need to use a trolley in the supermarket , not a basket. I'm fortunate that I've learned to drive so no longer have to carry, but years of carrying heavy shopping miles, has wrecked my back, esp at my neck. Carrying any weight at all gives me pins and needles, numbness, and worse of all, tendinitis which leaves me house bound as I then can't drive

I can usually carry the small amount that I buy at any one time ok, but I've never tried carrying shopping that far before, and to be honest, it was more than I would usually get in one go.

I am definitely going to get a shopping trolley tomorrow, it will also mean that I could shop at an Aldi as well as use Tesco more frequently, so a much better selection of shops and opportunities to look out for good deals.

I can drive, but as I live in the town centre I haven't had a car for a number of years since I moved here. I can't get one at the moment because DVLA revoked by licence a couple of months ago until my heart problem is sorted out, and then that's only if I'm ok to drive again then.
  • caronc
    Options
    I can drive, but as I live in the town centre I haven't had a car for a number of years since I moved here. I can't get one at the moment because DVLA revoked by licence a couple of months ago until my heart problem is sorted out, and then that's only if I'm ok to drive again then.
    You do get used to not driving my licence was revoked last year on medical grounds and is unlikely to be returned:(. You might be entitled to a bus pass - I was /am so worth checking out. :)
  • Livelongandprosper
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    You do get used to not driving my licence was revoked last year on medical grounds and is unlikely to be returned:(. You might be entitled to a bus pass - I was /am so worth checking out. :)

I was a Londoner so never drove. Then I moved to the country and had to learn:eek:

I started having back problems in my early 20's. I fell of stock racks in my teens

Best thing was finally going to a back class. It was a mix of strengthening exercises, bit of group therapy and learning new ways to get about our lives without doing further damage

That's when the shopping trolley and the back pack was introduced to me

Unfortunately as I got older and the pain wasn't so bad, I fell back into bad habits, esp loved the big handbags

Nowadays all I can carry is a purse on a wrist strap carry paper money and cards. Even a small amount of coins will leave me in agony :(

I see people laughing at me, esp at airports where all I take as carry on baggage is the size of a cosmetic case, and that's in a luggage trolley :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

Glad you reminded me about that. As the DVLA didn't put a set time on the revocation, but said that I could reapply for it back when I had been stable for at least three months and then they would seek medical information again, so I need to get my GP to fill out the back of the application form stating that I am not entitled to a licence because of my health condition. I think he has to put either for 1, 3 or 5 years. I will fill it out and ask him to sign it when I see him on Friday. I'm sure he will complete it for me.
  • caronc
    Options
    Glad you reminded me about that. As the DVLA didn't put a set time on the revocation, but said that I could reapply for it back when I had been stable for at least three months and then they would seek medical information again, so I need to get my GP to fill out the back of the application form stating that I am not entitled to a licence because of my health condition. I think he has to put either for 1, 3 or 5 years. I will fill it out and ask him to sign it when I see him on Friday. I'm sure he will complete it for me.
    I only needed the letter from DVLA to apply initially - it just had to be dated within 12 months.

Dinner tonight was lovely but I have LO broccoli & peppercorn sauce. Too much to bin but not enough for a meal/side. Think it will appear on toast for breakfast or lunch tomorrow.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure