PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MSE Tip: Use a worn/used sock - and, once you've used it as a wheatbag, simply tip the contents onto the plate and you've got instant cheesy couscous for lunch :)
    ...........:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like all gadgets I think that if you can find 2-3 items that you currently cook regularly that any new beast will cook better/faster/cheaper for you then it's a winner after you've done the maths to work out how often you have to use it to pay for itself.

Yes, that's what I've got to do. It is something that have thought about quite often when I fancy roast potatoes/chips but the cost of putting the oven on is a lot so I haven't bothered. I will need to work out the cost of roasties in one of those v the oven, same for chips as well.

I did think it would be useful for grilling, but I have a George foreman that I use for that, so a lot more thinking and research required here :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    [QUOTE=PasturesNew;72585923

But this morning I can barely move and am in agony. So I am 100% stuck with "what've you got in then?"

Luckily I've got crumpets.... they're good for three meals if I get really bad and can't move :)[/QUOTE]

Ouch! I hope that the pain eases soon. As others have said, I think that it helps to keep moving.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Cheers. I had invented "rest it a lot" - I've no Doctor, so was relying on just sitting around the house until it got better :)

I'll move about a bit more then.

I've no ibuprofen, nor heat pad, nor hot water bottle.... and so, being alone, I can't get them either :) ... EDIT: Actually, it never occurred to me to have a painkiller and I've just remembered I have a box of old plasters/headache pills under the stairs .... I'll see if I have, in the past, bought a random box of Ibuprofen.... it's possible. I'm not a pill popper and hadn't even ever bought headache tablets until about 4-5 years ago... not really sure why I did even then to be honest!

EDIT 2: Ah, found some - expiry date December 2013. Do pills expire? I can't see how they would be 'dangerous' as such. But I know nothing about drugs/meds etc. Not looking for medical advice, just a "would YOU?"

I'll see how it goes. Not used to being "unwell".... it's not pleasant because it's sudden and so I've had no time to accumulate goods and chattels to alleviate problems that accompany any sort of unwellness.

EDIT 3: Just pawed through my "box of random items" - there are Lemsip best before Oct 2012, some throat pastilles best before 2013 .... and some plasters that are 5-10 years old :)
    I must have thought in the past "it's good to be prepared" ... but never had an event where they were needed.

EDIT 4: I've Googled it ... and out of date seems to just give less effect, so OK, but not as strong. They'll do then! I'll have two.

EDIT 5: Opened the box, there were only three in there anyway ... so took two. :)

This sounds like me last January. I had a really big clear out of all of my cupboards found the 'first aid box' like you, most of the contents had gone out of date years ago. I had to take them all to the pharmacy to dispose of most embarrassing :o
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ....the cost of putting the oven on is a lot so I haven't bothered. I will need to work out the cost of roasties in one of those v the oven, same for chips as well.
    Yes, and every model is different and everybody's on different leccy tariffs.

However, an oven needs about 5x the power to run compared to a 1500watt fryer....

Some fake figures:
    Oven, 8kW, 12p/kW, one hour = 96p
    Fryer, 1.5kW, one hour = 18p.

But then you have to account for the thermostat and and any pre-heating/not etc and I bet the fryer does them in less time.

But, if you saved £3/month by just cooking roasties about once a month or so .... it'd pay for itself in about 3 years.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Either ... it's fixed by magic ... or ibuprofen works.
    I can't tell unless I wait ... and the pain comes back.

So, I have an option of leaving the house now, getting ibuprofen "in case" .... or not.

Hard decision.... I will think about it for 1-2 hours.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options

So, I have an option of leaving the house now, getting ibuprofen "in case" .... or not.

It wouldn't harm to go out now if you feel up to it. You don't want to risk ending up in pain again.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

Glad to hear back pain gone now, go and get some more pills whilst you can

I have back pain, had it for years, caused by being daft when young and ingnoring all the H & S stuff about correct lifting techniques, live & learn too late.

Can't put an old head on young shoulders as they say. Now I have co-codamol on prescription, have to pop a pill after about half an hour's gardening but at least I now know my limits

The sun's out, lovely and warm and set fair for the week so they say, will get out in the garden and do a bit after finished on here

Just the normal mooching today after no breakfast

Not much to be had, but I guess due to the hot weather Asda had large YS jam sponge puds, you know the sort, in a pudding basin you steam, turn upside down & jams oozes all over it

These are ready made and nukeable, not something I would ever bother to make, but reckon for 84p, down from £2, and BBE is D Day they seemed worth a punt, got 2, one with custard for a CBA day, other probably freeze it

Not good for my weight though, but there you go. I have trouser belts in various sizes to remind me as waist goes out & back in again. Currently on out, but working to go back down. At least belts have holes and new hole can be easily be added as expansion or shrinkage occurs

Lunch was the other part baked baguette, with red Leicester & salad bits

Dinner is left over repeat of Saturday, the last cod fishcake in the pack, oven chips and rest of the tin of beans. At least it is easy
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options

Ibuprofen works but only for a few hours so go and get some. The ibuprofen gel you rub into the sore area is also very good and not pricey:)
  • caronc
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Glad to hear back pain gone now, go and get some more pills whilst you can

I have back pain, had it for years, caused by being daft when young and ingnoring all the H & S stuff about correct lifting techniques, live & learn too late.

Can't put an old head on young shoulders as they say. Now I have co-codamol on prescription, have to pop a pill after about half an hour's gardening but at least I now know my limits

The sun's out, lovely and warm and set fair for the week so they say, will get out in the garden and do a bit after finished on here

Just the normal mooching today after no breakfast

Not much to be had, but I guess due to the hot weather Asda had large YS jam sponge puds, you know the sort, in a pudding basin you steam, turn upside down & jams oozes all over it

These are ready made and nukeable, not something I would ever bother to make, but reckon for 84p, down from £2, and BBE is D Day they seemed worth a punt, got 2, one with custard for a CBA day, other probably freeze it

Not good for my weight though, but there you go. I have trouser belts in various sizes to remind me as waist goes out & back in again. Currently on out, but working to go back down. At least belts have holes and new hole can be easily be added as expansion or shrinkage occurs

Lunch was the other part baked baguette, with red Leicester & salad bits

Dinner is left over repeat of Saturday, the last cod fishcake in the pack, oven chips and rest of the tin of beans. At least it is easy

Sponge pudding with jam & custard lovely.......:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure