PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Today's listings, some a rinse & repeat of yesterday, but that is what cooking for one is about, please yourself what you eat

Breakfast, apricot jam on toast [1/10]
    Lunch - BLT sarnie [3/10]
    Snack, posh lime marmalde sarnie [1/10]
    Planned dinner, another quarter of the large steak pie, with own fresh veg steamed, carrots, parsnips, cauli, broccolli and some white cabbage which was from BBF 3 feb and YS at 20p then. 5/10]

OK the jam is bit cheating, but 10/10, will now hop on soap box and start preaching

May chomp a banana later, speaking of which I had a sliced banana with sliced, slightly wrinkled apple plus spoonful of honey drizzled over last night, it was delish and may need repeating this evening
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I've a new build, so it's fully accessible, with the approach pathway sloping gently upwards to a level/flat front door threshold, wide hallway, accessible loo and wide doorways/low light switches.

Of course.... you can't actually park anywhere near my house ... but hey ho, so long as the house is accessible it's a minor detail that anybody with a wheelchair can't actually park :)

I can't explain the parking ... but if it were me then I'd be OK as there is a space within my 'land/area' where I could legitimately park and have room to get in/out with a wheelchair ... solely because it's me and it's my land... so a guest/visitor could find a way most of the time, by double parking in my spot.

My last place was 'accessible', a council flat fully adapted, wet floor shower room etc. But it was about 30m to the nearest parking, and that was with a few steps, it was longer for the fully level route. The kitchen wasn't big enough for a wheelchair user either, or anyon else - there wasn't enough room for a fridge, cooker and washing machine and there were only three small cupboards, one of which couldn't be opened if you decided to have at least two of the above appliances.

It was built in the 70s under 'Radburn' principles, which were to desgin areas for families and cars discouraged. They obviously didn't think ahead with regards car ownership.

Where I am now is just a ground floor flat, not specially built or adapted, but is far more suitable. There's on street parking right outside the door, and the kitchen's big enough for all three appliances plus a dishwasher, and even for a small table and a perching stool!
    meg72 wrote: »
    Thanks, I have two and use them quite often, my problem was putting a pan on the hob to boil eggs and then forgetting them. I was quite ill at the time, The note is still there and makes sure I never leave the house without checking the cooker.

I did that once, I remembered it when I went to investigate strange noises and found the pan burned dry and egg shells pinging off.
    Nelski wrote: »
    chairs not an issue (sounds similar to caroncs set up ...dining room table 6 chairs, lounge suite that seats 4/5 plus seats for 5 in the conservatory. Its really nice weather here today too so if need be we can head outside where I have loads of patio furniture :) (its a bit manky though after winter :) )

Anyway lovely to get such positive vibes about tonight from my thread friends......:rotfl:

Curry made and in the fridge , bean chilli in the slow cooker rice and potatoes done ...so now its cleaning :( hate this bit

Sounds nice, have fun!

I hate the cleaning part too, getting a dishwasher last year revolutionised my kitchen life.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I get bad wrist pain, peeling and mashing a few spuds would put my hands out of action for anything up to a few days.
    Same here - on the rare occasions I make mash, I use the food processor.

Nelski enjoy having your dinner guests; I'd be having blue kittens and purple puppies too if anyone asked me to cook for that amount of people, so I take my hat off to you! :o
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well managed to salvage my chilli and its actually very nice, only problem was after faffing around I didn't fancy it with rice as planned, wanted pizza.

Thought I wonder what chilli pizza is like, I had pitta bread and mozzeralla in freezer so gave it a go. Result absolutely delish will make this again.

WP_20170308_15_11_16_Pro.jpg
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Well managed to salvage my chilli and its actually very nice, only problem was after faffing around I didn't fancy it with rice as planned, wanted pizza.

Thought I wonder what chilli pizza is like, I had pitta bread and mozzeralla in freezer so gave it a go. Result absolutely delish will make this again.

WP_20170308_15_11_16_Pro.jpg

Chilli pizza's always been my favourite topping to head for when choosing toppings. I have that 99% of the time. The pizza I half built in the week started with a shop bought chilli beef pizza and I added more stuff to it, including a whole chilli.

LOVE chilli .... I really should just eat that all the time probably.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I had for tea the same as I did earlier... ½ spud, chilli, hot chilli cheese.
    Magnificent. Nose is sniffing....
    mmmmm

Full as anything. Spud was a biggun! Whole spud weighed about 450 grams. It was the biggest in the bag, which is why it got left to last as it was so big.....
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Minus for the day - chucked out 1.5 courgettes, 0.5 cucumber and a bit of yogurt. Whoops! Though I'm getting better and don't very often chuck food out these days for having gone off before I got to it.

Plus for the day - a "duh why didnt I think of that?" moment of = Why not re-use an already used saucepan for something else (as long as we are talking savoury to savoury for instance) if it's only me eating it. Guess I picked up the habit of using all sorts of things (ie extra washing-up) from tv chefs. Telling myself "Well - what do they know? Look at that Nigella, for instance, dipping a spoon into something she's cooking to taste it and then stirring that something with that dirty spoon - despite planning on serving the food up to her friends". So - at least I don't serve other people up food with a dose of my germs from having used a dirty spoon to stir it. One up to me then - compared to her.:) Yuk - I gather that sort of unhygienic habit is called "double dipping". None of that goes on at my place.

Lunch today - poached eggs on wholemeal toast, followed by a satsuma and an apple. Dinner today - it's cooking right now and I've just bunged together a sort of ratatouille in a casserole dish, with cheese sauce mixed in and mashed potato on top and decorated with tomatoes. I'll serve that with steamed sprouted broccoli. I've preceded that with a glass of apple juice. So must be getting in a fair few of my "10 a day".
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No "double dipping" here either; if I'm cooking for Mr LW and I need to do a taste check, I use a clean teaspoon, then put the teaspoon for washing, I don't use the stirring spoon. Ewwww!
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Why not re-use an already used saucepan for something else if it's only me eating it.

I do this. I use picnic plates for lightweight foods - eg toast, crumpets, scones, sandwiches ... and I often go into the kitchen 1-2 hours later and re-use one of those. If it's not actually "dirty" say ... why not.

Re spoons etc while cooking. I use them all once. I can end up having used 12 spoons. Dad used to mock me for the amount of spoons I used when cooking anything because every one was used once and put in the washing up bowl.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all,
    I'll "double- dip" if making just for me but otherwise bleurgh:(
    Had a lovely ham salad baguette and plums for lunch but swithering what to have tonight. :) There's nothing that needs using up urgently so I'll have a nosey in a bit and suspect it might be a sort of bangers tray bake affair:cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure