PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone
    Nelski - happy cooking have you read the book this time?:p
    Meg72 - I'd drain most of the sauce and start again if it's flooded with chilli powder - pesky cats eh :)

Not sure what's on the cooking horizon today though some burnt pan cleaning will be happening. I got sidetracked and forgot to turn the gas off after I cooked my dinner last night thankfully it's not too bad but I'm annoyed with myself:o

Have run out of bread until on-line shop arrives so it'll be crumpets for breakfast hardly a hardship...:D
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Morning everyone
    Meg72 - I'd drain most of the sauce and start again if it's flooded with chilli powder - pesky cats eh :)

Not sure what's on the cooking horizon today though some burnt pan cleaning will be happening. I got sidetracked and forgot to turn the gas off after I cooked my dinner last night thankfully it's not too bad but I'm annoyed with myself:o

Have run out of bread until on-line shop arrives so it'll be crumpets for breakfast hardly a hardship...:D

still 100 pages to go :o:o
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Nelski wrote: »
    still 100 pages to go :o:o
    Not too bad then......:rotfl:
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Morning everyone

Ohhhhhh burnt pan I know a lot about them, LOL, after going out and leaving a pan on and coming home to find the fire brigade had been called, three times in as many months I now have a note stuck to my front door saying COOKER OFF? this has saved me a few times since.
    Slimming World at target
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Slimming World at target
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I couldn't seat 10, never mind cook for them. I've never cooked for people - long may that continue. If I offered to cook for anybody, the LAST thing I'd want to EVER hear is "ooooh but I'm such a snowflake and can't eat/won't eat ..... and .... and ....." - if you're vegan/odd, bl00dy bring your own food then! :)
    Visitors would also have to bring their own folding chair, their own laptop tray, their own plate and their own glass/mug for coffee. :) I've never got as far as being able to provide place settings (or a table) for people.

When cooking anything, I always turn off the appliances before I deal with the food.

Co-Op deals - they are only good if you buy all those items. Whenever I've looked they'd have taken up too much freezer space, have items I'd have never chosen and usually represent poor value for money as I could buy the individual items in a cheapo brand cheaper.
    Looking at that one: A pie like that would cost £2. Mash in that form is overpriced, I'd be spending 30p on "real potatoes". 250g of mixed veg I could buy 1Kg of frozen for £1. Chocolate trifle, while lovely sounding, isn't something I'd choose to tuck into all on my own (unless it were specifically planned for Xmas), I'd choose alternative desserts for about £1.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 March 2017 at 1:43PM
    Options
    Today's lunch is pushing the boat out a bit :)
    In a sad/lonely life way.

The final "baking potato" I bought and had kept in the green bag. Still not the slightest sign of sprouting or going off whatsoever.
    Chilli con carne topping.
    Small mound of mex/chilli cheese on top of that.

I might just have half the spud at first - as it's a biggun .... which will mean I'll repeat this meal later for tea.

EDIT: Just ate half... omg that was gorgeous and I'm stuffed. I do love potatoes and cheese - and I love chilli ... so it's not surprising I liked this.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Yesterday was an instant pizza, a frozen flatbread pizza base with a cheese and sun-dried tomato topping, cooked on the microwave pizza and bacon crisper I bought ages back as an Aldi Specialbuys reduction and completely forgot about.
    Doing that again for sure, it cooked perfectly.
    My appetite today isn't as lively so after a breakfast of yogurt, I will probably have one of my two for £1 New Covent Garden soups.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Ohhhhhh burnt pan I know a lot about them, LOL, after going out and leaving a pan on and coming home to find the fire brigade had been called, three times in as many months I now have a note stuck to my front door saying COOKER OFF? this has saved me a few times since.

Maybe treat yourself to a crockpot? Then you could leave a casserole (or whatever) cooking in it for hours no problem.

There's also the modern day equivalent of a haybox. Which has rather reminded me that I have one of those too - and have only used it a couple of times:o. Now that might be a thought for me when my kitchen gets gutted shortly.....

and, on that note, must remember to decant my potatoes to a green bag and see how that works for me....
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    .... pizza and bacon crisper ...Aldi Specialbuys
    I'm not used to that shop as it's new in my area ... so no idea what their crisper is like.

I was bought a browning dish 25 years ago by an old boss/son for Xmas. Keep meaning to get round to using it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure