PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I couldn't seat 10, never mind cook for them. I've never cooked for people - long may that continue. If I offered to cook for anybody, the LAST thing I'd want to EVER hear is "ooooh but I'm such a snowflake and can't eat/won't eat ..... and .... and ....." - if you're vegan/odd, bl00dy bring your own food then! :)
    Visitors would also have to bring their own folding chair, their own laptop tray, their own plate and their own glass/mug for coffee. :) I've never got as far as being able to provide place settings (or a table) for people.

Couldn't seat 10 hear either there's been 6 here before including me and the OH. Sofa bed and a folding chairs and that felt crowded. Even then I was the odd one out. OH cooked separate for me. He just bungs in pizza, chips, onion rings etc for people, or if weather is good etc a BBQ.

Lol, you wouldn't mind me. I take food practically everywhere with me, I bring my own cutlery too and I always have my water bottle if out (would take mug if needed, hehe). Don't use a table to eat usually, though have a small folding table that gets moved close if something messy to eat :o. Lap is fine, as long as the place is wheelchair friendly to get into I take my chair everywhere :cool:.

In all honesty the idea of that many people kinda freaks me out. I don't do well with crowded places, though if the venue was large enough if would be fine, needs enough space to just go away from everyone if need be.

CFO today : coffee. That is all.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,114 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maybe treat yourself to a crockpot? Then you could leave a casserole (or whatever) cooking in it for hours no problem.

There's also the modern day equivalent of a haybox. Which has rather reminded me that I have one of those too - and have only used it a couple of times:o. Now that might be a thought for me when my kitchen gets gutted shortly.....

and, on that note, must remember to decant my potatoes to a green bag and see how that works for me....
    Thanks I actually have three slowcookers lol :eek: it wasn't that kind of meal though just stupidity on my part :o
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ...wheelchair friendly ...

I've a new build, so it's fully accessible, with the approach pathway sloping gently upwards to a level/flat front door threshold, wide hallway, accessible loo and wide doorways/low light switches.

Of course.... you can't actually park anywhere near my house ... but hey ho, so long as the house is accessible it's a minor detail that anybody with a wheelchair can't actually park :)

I can't explain the parking ... but if it were me then I'd be OK as there is a space within my 'land/area' where I could legitimately park and have room to get in/out with a wheelchair ... solely because it's me and it's my land... so a guest/visitor could find a way most of the time, by double parking in my spot.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Maybe treat yourself to a crockpot? Then you could leave a casserole (or whatever) cooking in it for hours no problem.

There's also the modern day equivalent of a haybox. Which has rather reminded me that I have one of those too - and have only used it a couple of times:o. Now that might be a thought for me when my kitchen gets gutted shortly.....

and, on that note, must remember to decant my potatoes to a green bag and see how that works for me....

Thanks, I have two and use them quite often, my problem was putting a pan on the hob to boil eggs and then forgetting them. I was quite ill at the time, The note is still there and makes sure I never leave the house without checking the cooker.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    Options
    The most I've done for a sit down round the table was 16 - was a right laugh with the garden chairs being called into service. :)Had 50+ for the boys' 18ths and 21st - though I made hot food I didn't attempt to seat them all :eek:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    .... a pan on the hob to boil eggs and then forgetting them.
    I nuke them. It's foolproof.
    A little water/eggs in, set timer, walk away, ping, open, eat.

Texture wise there is absolutely NO difference between the two methods. You really can't tell any difference at all. It's not a compromise of speed -v- taste/texture. They are identical.

I've got a 1-er and a 4-er. So I can do 1 and eat it - or 4 and cool/shove in the fridge.

I would definitely recommend these to anybody.

Both mine work slightly differently in that the big 4-egger needs to be cooked at half power, while the 1-er is cooked on high power. You're looking at 4-10 minutes in total, depending if it's soft or hard. I do soft ones and hard ones in mine.

The only "warning" I'd give anybody re the bigger one is - make sure there's something to grip hold of to remove it from the oven - mine's oval shaped and it can be quite tricky to get out.

Here's an example 1-er https://www.amazon.co.uk/Everyday-Essentials-Microwave-Christmas-Supplied/dp/B017IWZPIE

Every time you ever see me saying I ate boiled eggs .... it's like that.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Had 50+

My living room's about 12' square - even if the furniture were removed 50 couldn't stand still in that spot :)
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2017 at 3:16PM
    Options
    I've a new build, so it's fully accessible, with the approach pathway sloping gently upwards to a level/flat front door step, wide hallway, accessible loo and wide doorways/low light switches.

Of course.... you can't actually park anywhere near my house ... but hey ho, so long as the house is accessible it's a minor detail that anybody with a wheelchair can't actually park :)

Haha as long as there is a bus service/train rather close I'd call that a win as I don't drive, never have. OH did have a motorcycle but after the last one got stolen, around 5 or so years ago now, we never bothered getting another and I couldn't get on one by that point anyway. He can't drive a car either
    We actually have a car space where we live :rotfl: it's useful for my family and friends visiting that have cars I will say. Parking outside the complex is practically impossible. Obviously we didn't choose this place for it's car space. It's accessible, close to public transport, and also since I started work, close to my work too (though a big part of applying there due to how close it was I'll admit).
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • caronc
    Options
    My living room's about 12' square - even if the furniture were removed 50 couldn't stand still in that spot :)
    So's mine lol but thanfully I've a dining room and a big kitchen/conservatory so we manage. The main issue with a crowd is I've only one loo:eek:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Options
    chairs not an issue (sounds similar to caroncs set up ...dining room table 6 chairs, lounge suite that seats 4/5 plus seats for 5 in the conservatory. Its really nice weather here today too so if need be we can head outside where I have loads of patio furniture :) (its a bit manky though after winter :) )

Anyway lovely to get such positive vibes about tonight from my thread friends......:rotfl:

Curry made and in the fridge , bean chilli in the slow cooker rice and potatoes done ...so now its cleaning :( hate this bit
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure