PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Going reasonably well so far and pleased to report a NSD yesterday and today eventually!
    Frugal challenge 2024

• Massa1982
    Options
    Popping my head in for the first time this month with a budget of £200 for 2 adults and 1 toddler for the 1st February to 28th February for all Food, Nappies and Smellies.

Came in comfortably underbudget for January so Savings were used for a small takeaway treat and rest paid against the debts. So far spent over 2 shops £15.76 and the cupboards and freezer are still stocked reasonably well.
    :pDesperately Determined to Destroy the Debts one at a time.. and Seriously Save for the Spectacular future.:p
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    So I've meal planned for the month, I have enough milk, bread, butter, meat, frozen veg, crisps, condiments, eggs, cheese, loo rolls to last, the only meat I couldn't buy in Ald* was diced beef for goulash. It means I've only got £44.51 left but that should be enough for fruit, only two of us eat it. I bought frozen sausage rolls for packed lunches, hubby not too keen so I might need some rolls and ham when he goes back to work next week, we will see.

Asda £37.46 Aldi £51.44 Iceland £15.89 Tesco £4.70 Sainsburys £6
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent a silly £51 yesterday which would have been a fiver cheaper if I had read the validity date on the voucher. Ah well, will use it next time.

Of this, around £11 was for church shopping so I will count £40. Lost the receipt so it has to be all approximate. Updating sig.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 February 2017 at 4:21PM
    Options
    Well I'm back from my shopping trip and I spent £83 :eek: At one point, I had totted up the contents of my basket in my head and I had it at about £30.

Not sure how I added another £50???

My shop did include some spends that don't quality for my grocery budget such as £5 on coffee for the office, £3.50 on chocolates for a gift plus a get well card (£1.69).

That doesn't take it down by much but I did save money by not buying two craft mags I saw (£5.99 each) plus I resisted the temptation to top up on crackers that were on offer (I still have plenty). I didn't bulk buy like I usually would of my favourites that were on offer. I'm not sure how much I saved by not buying these extras. I'm well stocked for food now so *shouldn't* need to visit the shop until at least next weekend. Let's see if i can stay out the shops!
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karenccs67 wrote: »
    So I've meal planned for the month, I have enough milk, bread, butter, meat, frozen veg, crisps, condiments, eggs, cheese, loo rolls to last, the only meat I couldn't buy in Ald* was diced beef for goulash. It means I've only got £44.51 left but that should be enough for fruit, only two of us eat it. I bought frozen sausage rolls for packed lunches, hubby not too keen so I might need some rolls and ham when he goes back to work next week, we will see.

Asda £37.46 Aldi £51.44 Iceland £15.89 Tesco £4.70 Sainsburys £6

how have you done your meal plan? diary/calendar/scrap of paper?
  • Lauralozzle
    Options
    Shopping today to buy perishables (fruit, salad, veg and sandwich stuff).

£43.07 is Aldeee
    £23.01 in A*da

Not quite sure how I managed to spend that much! Got some Yellow Sticker goodies though and I don't think I could physically fit anything else into the freezer!

I'm now at £101.57/£300
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • karenccs67
    karenccs67 Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Flat_Eric wrote: »
    how have you done your meal plan? diary/calendar/scrap of paper?

I use a spreadsheet so I can easily move/change things about. I usually have a 2 week menu plan and repeat it with a few changes. Eg. Beef or chicken curry, sausage, egg & chips or sausages, potatoes and veg. If we've had bacon rolls at the weekend (I don't cook proper meals at the weekend) I might make hunters chicken with left over bacon. I batch cook chilli and Spagbol so when the men are having meat pies or fish pie (I don't like those) I can defrost a chilli portion. It's all very boring really but it suits us.
    ***Dont save what is left after spending, spend what is left after saving***
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD. Yay. I almost turned right towards Waitrose, but I resisted :D
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Worrierwalker
    Options
    This thread is fascinating. What does NSD mean please?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure