PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mummy2lots
    Options
    Hi Im a bit late in joining this but if its still ok can I join in? I am working on £120 a week for groceries and so can I do £360 to last me till the 26th?
    This is for me hubby and 7 kids. This doesn't include nappies, wipes or dishwasher tablets as I bulk buy them on amazon. But will include all toiletries.
  • AlwaysHungry2016
    Options
    Week number two - just went to the store and got majority of next week’s supplies. This time it came together to £21.76 - still need to get few things, which will have to ‘fit’ within £15.74 remaining. Somehow feel like I actually spend a bit too much, maybe I am overstocking for each week? At the moment find it hard to tell, will have to wait and see what I am getting too much of. Practice makes it perfect.

Out of my last weeks £37.5 budget I spend £36.42 (whoop!). Very pleased with it as managed to have good food and treat myself to couple of tasty bites without overspending or overeating :A
    GC May £0/£150
    GC Mar £46.95/£150
    GC Feb £185.75/£150
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone. I've a few spends to add as I've been to Home Bargains for tissues and deodorant and Poundland for laundry liquid and toothbrushes. £5.74 in total. I did spend another £4.49 on hair colour and a liquid eyeliner pen but that's a different budget. My last eyeliner pen lasted the best part of two years and I used to pay £45 for a cut and colour so I've chosen to feel virtuous rather than guilty about 'non essentials'.:). Arguably the hair colour is an essential as I'm starting to resemble a badger:rotfl:
    Have a good weekend.
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2017 at 1:56PM
    Options
    £81.74 spent. in Mr T - didn't buy GF bread, I found half a bag of GF bread flour in the free from section and going to give this a go.

Zafiro1984 - I have a bulk buy fund set at £100 max because if the worse came to the worse that amount would be ample to last us a week plus the odd day.
    I didn't start out at £100 though initially it was whatever vouchers I had. Money off vouchers still go in this pot first, plus any underspend for the month, plus I pay back this pot full price when I "buy" from my own shop (storecupboard). Any over the £100 gets transferred into my third purse which is my emergency fund (for unexpected car repairs for example, came in handy just before Christmas!), most importantly money never ever flows the other way back into the bulk buy fund - I'd be in danger of appearing on hoarders if it did :) .I know Mothership who originally posted this way of budgetting uses her third purse for treats. I have been able to get down to zero on my credit card (last year) and more importantly stay that way :)
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had my first spend yesterday and I've managed to lose the receipt and nothing has shown up on the credit card yet but I *think* it was 50p for the loaf of bread, £1.25 for the brioches and £2.00 for a pack of blueberries so £3.75

Tomorrow I'm out with a friend visiting the supermarket so dangerous territory but I'm going to write a list as I only need a few bits and I hope to meal plan later after I've rested my eyes.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If anyone has a QD Stores near them, our local one had 110 Finnish powerball classic tabs for £7.99 today. Three pounds cheaper than Amazing but still I suspect, more expensive than store own brand. After my dishwasher broke down and had to be replaced, the engineer suggested once a week with one of the powerball tabs would remove the need for rinse aid. I've been waiting to see them on offer to try them.

I also bought 4 tins of stuff for my store cupboard (£2.78) and the rest of the week's shopping for £37.72 with a few packs of nuts to use as lunchbox top-ups instead of cake. £92.37 so far for two weeks' shopping. Off to watch some rugby now...

SL
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd yesterday, yippee!! xx
  • Winchelsea
    Options
    Went out, bought everything I needed.
    Home again with my purse £4.95 lighter.
    And this is all I've spent in February so far! (Trying to use up stores in cupboards and freezer as far as I can.)
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent £4 on bits I could have done without at M&S. :o
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A £10 spend today on (much needed) lightbulbs and RTC pork ribs and chicken pies bringing total to £68/£100 going to struggle at sticking to £100 but if it is below £140 my usual minimum I'll be happy:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure